Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Chris King BB ball bearings – size/replacements?
  • gp
    Free Member

Hi – after a disastrous attempt at cleaning and re-greasing my Chris King BB, I’ve managed to loose three ball bearings! Whilst pulling out the greasing tool, the inner race came out with the tool leaving bearings pinging allover the place.

I’m not sure if it is even possible to put back together, but if it is, I’ll need some new ball bearings and am not sure what size they are. Any ideas?!

Thanks

takisawa2

Mine came with instructions to strip apart. King make their own bearings so might be specials…

gp
    Free Member

do the instructions show the bearing comepletley taken apart – i.e inner race/bearings and bearing holder removed? Good to know that they can be taken apart! `Thanks..

takisawa2

No, but its described well. You can download is as a pdf from their website.

Cheezpleez

Mine fell apart when I removed the crank and spewed bearings. I took it back to the LBS and they sent it back for rebuilding FOC under warranty

gp
    Free Member

Thanks – I can only see instructions on the site site about installing the whole unit rather than stripping it down.

ace_sparky
    Free Member

Same thing happened to me several times on the non drive side(in fact happened this afternoon, again whilst re-greasing but eventually managed to find the bearings that fell out). I can’t get the plastic spacer out without the inner race coming with it now, and I’ve lost a bearing, which has been missing for a while now.

My bb is several years old now and still runs sweet even after an avg 7000 miles/600hrs per year use, think I might contact ck and see what they have to say about it they have fantastic customer service.

gp
    Free Member

I’ll contact the shop I bought it from to see what they say, thanks..

bigyinn
    Free Member

If it was a superstar BB there would be demands of heads on a pike, but because its Chris King people accept it?

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Cant see them being particulary special bearings. Maybe ground to a tighter tolerance, but probably just 1/4 inch balls etc

teasel
    Free Member

Regarding the gripping of the inner race with the greasing tool, how about a smear of grease to stop the friction ? Same goes for the inner face of the plastic cover.

‘s gotta be better, surely.*

*Ignore if already done

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Chris King BB ball bearings – size/replacements?’ is closed to new replies.