Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Chris King aesthetic help required…….
  • solarider
    Free Member

I have a steel winter bike on order. The frame is black. The components are black (Athena/Chorus mix). The wheels are black. The mudguards are black. The stem and seatpost are black. I think you get the picture……

Anyway, I can’t decide between a black Chris King headset, or being a bit crazy (!) and ordering a pink one.

I know that the whole ‘Rapha’ pink and black thing has been done before, but I kind of like it. After many years of only black King components, I feel like a change, but think I might just want black after about a month!

Any pictures for inspiration? Any views?

amplebrew

I’d go for black or polished silver.

It would need to be a Sotto Voce version though.

Having said that, a titanium version would also look really nice on a black frame.

Edit – What colour are the frame decals?

If the decals matched a CK colour, I could be tempted to get a match.

solarider
    Free Member

This is the frame. I will remove the chainstay protector and use heli-tape, and might remove the tubing decals, so it will be predominantly black with a little dark grey. Genesis build the finished bike that they sell with a black headset and I think it all looks just a bit too black.

Fortunately due to a decent collection in the spares bin I can build it cheaper from a frameset with a nicer spec than I could buy one made up. Hence the headset question!

The discs on my CX bike have been such a revelation, and this combines a good value frame, with classic proportions that will look quite traditional for a wet weather trainer and have that modern twist with the discs. It won’t be light, but that’s not the point of something to go out and get covered in muck.

amplebrew

I think I’d go for either pewter or black looking at the picture.

If the Genesis head badge was polished, I’d have gone for silver.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I went for red on my Dark Grey Vaya.. It matches the decals..

beagle
    Free Member

Rasta? To match the yellow green decals?

Or…..

Black sotto voce version with dark grey text?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Green or yellow or a mix I reckon. You cant remove Genesis decals as they’re laquered over.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Speaking from personal experience, the pink looks quality – a very nice colour. As it happens, I have a headset (and in fact hubs) for sale. 🙂

Pics here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/theflatboy/sets/72157637264977683/

£45.

jameso

I have a red std logo one in vgc I’d swap for black or silver ..

solarider
    Free Member

I will keep the Genesis decals, but I am hoping that the Reynolds 631 decals aren’t lacquered and can be removed.

Pink looking like the favourite.

Houns

Go pink

wwaswas

I am hoping that the Reynolds 631 decals aren’t lacquered and can be removed.

but what will provide rust proofing in it’s absence?

solarider
    Free Member

Sometimes, the frame is painted and lacqered, then the tubing decals are applied, so it would be rustproofed.

Not a deal breaker as they are small.

It is more the black and grey to match/compliment.

jameso

Pink works on the rapha bikes as a ‘TM’ but a try-alike wouldn’t be as good. It’s missing the white block or logos that helps the pink work on black in the rapha bikes also.
    Silver with silver hubs and clamp (or bb7 sls) or stick to black, if it were mine.

I am hoping that the Reynolds 631 decals aren’t lacquered and can be removed.

but what will provide rust proofing in it’s absence?
    Reynolds frame decals are usually on top of laquer so just peel them off – no issues with rust. My 725 Eq got all wrinkled in the workstand, peeled it off, no probs.

velocipede
    Free Member

Got to be Black with white logos for me….!

boxfish
    Free Member

Red!

nedrapier

Sotto voce pewter for money.

GolfChick
    Free Member

pink sotto voce for me!

solarider
    Free Member

Velocipede wins!

The oldies are the goodies. Black with bold logos ordered. Can’t go wrong with the original. I was hovering over the pink on the order screen, but I know I will only hanker after the more subtle black in a few months.

velocipede
    Free Member

Exectly – you know it makes sense!! 😀

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Chris King aesthetic help required…….’ is closed to new replies.