Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Chris Hoy Velodrome accreditation.
  • stanfree
    Free Member

I had 3 hrs to kill today in Glasgow and nipped into ‘Rigs bike shop’ for a wee nose at the bikes in there. Anyhoo got chatting to the guy that works there about one of his nice Fixies and was asking about the new velodrome. He mentioned accreditation fees were around £70 and whilst Its quite taxing riding a velodrome It’s certainly not a dark art.

Anyone been and how did you find It? , also anyone got a link to the prices and availability (I have tried looking).
    I haven’t the build to be any good but wouldn’t mind having a go with a few mates.

stucol
    Free Member

Several friends have done full Accreditation.

One need to go back for part 4 once his collar bone gets better !

Everyone (bar 1) thoroughly enjoyed it. Accred 4 is pretty hard going.

iainc

I have done it – 1 and 2 are an hour each, and cost £10. 3 and 4 last for 2 hrs and are £25, so yes, £70 all in. It’s great fun and hard work, esp session 3, which is a big step up. 4 was easier IMO cos it’s all racing and you can get on a wheel 🙂

down there tomorrow night for an accredited drop in with some mates – all fun 🙂

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Hopefully going with the kids club in a couple of months. Looking forward to having a go but not sure I’d want to spend £70. Can you wear knee pads?

CraigW
    Free Member

Some details here for getting accreditation: http://www.emiratesarena.co.uk/velodrome/Pages/default.aspx

stanfree
    Free Member

Thanks for the info , Steven If you like it and fancy going back get in touch. I looked into the edinburgh velodrome but being uncovered It must be fairly unpredictable to book anything.

iainc

The website is poor and you need to join Glasgow Life to book. Google “emirates arena’ for info or call 0141 287 7000. No knee pads but a well known bike industry chap was there on my accred 4 and was wearing baggies over Lycra 🙂

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

wearing baggies over Lycra

I can’t imagine what else you’d wear? Tight jeans halfway to ma knees?

Gutterball
    Free Member

I’ve done my accreditation, £70 is pretty good value for six hours of riding including all equipment hire. It’s so busy that cost’ll probably be spread over a couple of months anyway.

Accred 1 was a real mixed bag of folk and VERY basic, accred 4 is proper racing, and we got video feedback too. Not nice seeing how slow you really are.

There’s a proper timetable on the website now, but booking online is still a nightmare if the session’s booked up – better to phone up and ask for the next available session, then book the next level on the way out.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

iainc – is it the drop in tonight at 7 you are going to?

Hopefully going with the kids club in a couple of months. Looking forward to having a go but not sure I’d want to spend £70. Can you wear knee pads?

You dont need to do the full accreditation you could just do the accred 1 / introduction session for £10 and see how you like it. Once you pass that they you would book onto 2, you dont need to book the whole package up front.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Doing my 1st session in 3 weeks. Was a bit tricky to find free sessions using the website, it seems pretty busy. Can’t complain at the price for the first couple of sessions though. £10.50 for equipment hire, coaching and an hour on the track. Bargain.

iainc

iainc – is it the drop in tonight at 7 you are going to?

indedd it is. there are a few of us GMBC’ers heading down. You going ?

MrSmith
    Free Member

Can you wear knee pads?

That was a joke right? 😯

Edric64
    Free Member

wearing baggies over Lycra

I can’t imagine what else you’d wear? Tight jeans halfway to ma knees?

Surely you would wear lycra ? There is no point to baggies unless you are hiding a very small apendage

Northwind

Is that not enough?

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Can you wear knee pads?

That was a joke right?

Well done Sherlock, give yourself a prize.

Surely you would wear lycra ? There is no point to baggies unless you are hiding a very small apendage

Well obviously I want to spend my time riding a bike and not fighting off the ladies

MrSmith
    Free Member

Well done Sherlock, give yourself a prize

Cheers, I had 2 kitkats with my cup of tea instead of 1

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Too many Kit Kats, another reason for wearing baggies.

marty
    Free Member

Have the done the first two and looking forward to doing 3 & 4.

As others have said, the booking system and wait to get on to an accreditation session is a real PITA, but once you’re into the velodrome itself the hire centre and instruction staff are great.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Chris Hoy Velodrome accreditation.’ is closed to new replies.