Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Chopwell Woods (North East) advice please
  • user-removed
    Free Member

Thinking about taking a spin out there today – worth it? If so, is it easy to find?

white101

Come of the A1, head to Winlaton Mill, on to Rowlands Gill pass a few shops and turn right up the hill towards High Spen (signposted), come through a couple of bends at the top of a hill and the signs are for the wood on your left. Entrance is opposite a equestrian shop, passed a few newish houses and your in, enjoy

edit. If you've got a couple of hours to spare its worth it there are plenty of cheeky little trails all over the place and its usually fairly quiet during the week, only thing is school hols so you may get a few bodies around walking dogs etc.

dickydutch

My local blast. Worth a couple of hours of anybody's time. Stray off the paths and 'into the woods', and theres loads of little lesser used trails. I'll be there tomorrow night I think!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Davy
    Free Member

I would come and show you around, but it's raining, so I don't want to. 🙁

gazc
    Free Member

plenty of decent riding there, maybe heading there tomoro night depending on work. the powerline trail runs from the car park so easy to find – about 2 miles of trailcentre type stuff but if you're more adventurous heres some quick directions below. theres logging in the main woods at the moment so some bits by the car park are innaccessible btw

head down powerline from car park, turn left on the road where you pop out after the first small section, go straight past the houses (round a gate) and take the second fireroad on the left (the one after where the big diggers are parked where the main fireroad bears right). head up hill and turn right onto singletrack opposite the little fence blocking the singletrack coming out of the logging area. follow this and cross a few fire roads till you pop out near the bottom of valley at a fireroad with a small clearing (braking zone!) in front of you. if you're more adventurous turn left and immediately right down a steep chute onto another fireroad, straight up the hill and explore the top of the ridge (plenty of steep trails here to the right, tiny bit to left). to get back to car park just head back up hill!

alternatively for a twisty singletrack section, where you turn right onto singletrack above carry on instead until you see some big wooden hands on the right. go behind these and follow twisty singletrack to fireroad (turn left brings back round)

alternatively, head out of the car park along the fireroad opposite the entrance. follow round a few corners/across a cross roads etc. where you hit a T junction with another fireroad go straight on on singletrack. turn left at end and follow fireroad to T junction by a big gate and turn right. follow fireroad (woods on right, fields on left) till you see a footpath sign and turn right onto singletrack – follow down, cutting back on/off fireroad till end where you pop out back on the same fireroad you climbed up.

from the start of that trail you can also head straight back down the fireroad into the woods and turn right where you see a wide trail with a jump split off. follow this and go straight over fireroad to the end. turn left to follow back to car park

hope that makes sense and have a good ride! 😀

user-removed
    Free Member

Just back – thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, we'd already set of before the first reply!

We did find it though, no bother. Did The Powerline three times and had a good blast round the rest of the woods too. Saw lots of cheeky trails and will definitely be back to follow your directions gazc.

On the first run down The Powerline, I hit the North Shore stuff (the highest lot in the 'black' section) a bit quickly. Didn't walk it first as it looked pretty straightforward. It's absolutely lethal in the wet – and no chickenwire!! Slid straight off the highest point, over the bars and landed square on my head. The bike then fell on me. Everything went a bit fuzzy for a moment but OK now bar a stiff, sore neck….

Anyhoo, cheers for the responses – I'll be back on the first dry day 😀

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Chopwell Woods (North East) advice please’ is closed to new replies.