Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Chop/sliding saw recommendations please
  • stevied
    Free Member

Upcoming house renovation and I need a saw for various tasks including flooring..
    What would you recommend, up to about £150?

wildc4rd
    Free Member

We have a couple of the Evolution ones (Screwfix) kicking about in the workshop, seem pretty decent and you will get one within your budget.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I bought one of these along with a mounting table https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-erb608msw-254mm-single-bevel-compound-mitre-saw-230v/4854f

Very pleased with it so far.

nickjb
    Free Member

Another happy evolution user. Under budget for the 210mm. Cuts pretty well out of the box and is improved with minor fettling. The sliding mitre has a good size of cut from a compact unit, if you need more they do a bigger one. Mine is just starting to show signs of age now after several years of regular use and being dropped a couple of times.

mrjmt
    Free Member

I’ve got a sliding evolution, used for skirting, architrive, laminate floor etc.

Very good, and I think the bloke who designs them is a member on here (or at least was).

stevied
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies guys 🙂
    Evloution ones look good. What about this Dewalt: https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dws773-gb-216mm-single-bevel-sliding-mitre-saw-240v/9008j

squirrelking
    Free Member

I got a second hand green Bosch for about that sort of money, the table was another £100 on top. Well recommended.

Evo stuff isn’t too bad either, decent amount of grunt on the circular saw I borrowed.

thebees
    Free Member

I bought a cheapo evolution from Screwfix years ago and its still going strong. It’s done loads of work and in fact we did a large decking job in the summer and it was just as good as my mates top of the range Dewalt.
    I would however snap up the Dewalt for £169.99 as quick as you like !

finishthat
    Free Member

If you know you will use it then paying slightly more is worth it ,
    I have had a few over the years and DeWalt have always lasted longest , 2
    saws I have now are DeWalt and they are maybe 10years old – can still get the spares for them easily online next day.(only needed belts and random adjusters lost over time)
    Notes;
    All saws need checking/setting up before use , this also makes you understand how the actual thing works.
    Evolution are good value but can be flimsy and use an imperial blade bore
    which can cost more to replace if you do not do your homework.
    Blades – pay attention to using the right type – Freud blades I like are
    good value on Ebay.
    Safety features like slow start and brake listed on that DeWalt listed above are well worth having.
    Do think about capacity for cuts if you know you will definitely cut big/wide stuff.
    A stand is nice if you have room.

buy the Dewalt.

eat_the_pudding
    Free Member

Evolution FTW. But don’t use them to cut metal like in the adverts. I cut small bit of angle iron once, and it cut brilliantly well but the swarf/shrapnel pebbledash took about an hour to remove from my fleece, and I was extremely glad to be wearing eye protection.

chip
    Free Member

I have two dewalt chop saws one I bought when I was 21 I am now 43. And one smaller I bought to use while my first one was being serviced 10 years ago.
    Both have seen a lot of work cutting Alu when I was a window fitter cutting posts and sills and then timbre when I became a carpenter.

somouk
    Free Member

One other tool I’ve found invaluable during house renovations recently is a proper driver and drill set instead of having a combi drill on its own.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Chop/sliding saw recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.