• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by ton.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Chopping out a bit of Cartilage in zee knee
  • growinglad
    Free Member

Anyone had a piece of their Cartilage cut out from their knee?

Had a situation where I bent my knee to one side a bit and caused quite a bit of pain. Then things seemed to get better, but any type of running, side pressure to my knee and strangely enough practicing Ollies on the skate board would cause me quite a bit of hobbling.

Seems fine for days and days, then I get out of the car, bend my knee and it’s ouchie again!

Went for an MRI and the Dr has told me they need to operate.

They seem pretty straightforward about it all, no biggy.

So, how long should I consider putting aside for recuperation?

If they take out a bit, does that leave me with enough to see me through to me old age?

And something that struck me after my consultation, on the MRI we could see where the problem was, when it comes to getting in there with the camera, is it obvious on what needs to be taking out?

I assume there are a few that have had something similar, anything I should know before hand?

Cheers,

GL

Killer
    Free Member

Yep. been there done that. Cycling actually helped it out a massive amount. (low impact)

I damaged it playing sportball. cycling actually made it not hurt as much as it shoudl so it took about 18months for me to get so anoyed wiht the niggle that i chased it donw and got it sorted.

orthoscopy planned and sorted.

in by lunchtime, out by 9pm. Awake during the whole thing. Even watched most of it on the TV screen. They gave me a DVD copy for my later entertainment.
    The Epidural was probably the wweirdest thing of the whole expereince. (well actually it was the effect wearing off. Strangest most uncomfortable i;ve ever been to be honest. the middle of your leg getting sensation back, but not the outside)

That and my heartrate dropping to about 30bpm directly after the op, but was nothing really

Was sore for a few days. back at work , albeit hobbling wihtin 3 days. cycling commuting wihtin a fortnight.

mine was a very minor op, but it takes some time for the swelling to go down properly. It then takes a bit more time to get the strength and confidnce back in the joint. think a few (2-4) months if your lucky and actuallly do the exercises the physio tells you to. more if there are complications

Because of the lenght of time it took me to get it sorted, my legs were disportationate to each other so i don’t think my legs will ever be equal again. but i managed to 24hr solo wihtin 3 months of the operation, so couldn’t have been that bad

growinglad
    Free Member

Cycling actually helped it out a massive amount

Funnily enough it’s one of the few things that I have zero problems with. Even when I’m having problems walking, it doesn’t hurt at all on the bike.

Did you have a bag to drain off the fluid? Or do they just stitch you up once they are done?

I haven’t had it for too long so hoping the damage is minimal. It’s weird, when it does hurt, when I first stand up in take a minute or two to warm up, once I’m moving it seems okay.

I’m probably going to go for a full knock out. I asked the surgeon whether it makes a difference for them and to be truthful I’m not a great patient for things like that. I’d rather be out of it, let them get on with the job and wake up once it’s all done.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Disregard what everyone says on here, your injury will be different to theirs.

Speak to the surgeon doing the OP, they are best placed to advise

This is the advice from an Orthopaedic Surgeon.

ton

second that, unless the bloke on here is either a surgeon in the field you are asking about. 😆

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Chopping out a bit of Cartilage in zee knee’ is closed to new replies.