Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Choosing Cassette Ratio
  • mtb1992
    Free Member

Hi guys

Gonna order my cassette for my bike im building and cant decided what to use. i.e 11.32
    This is the 1st ever bike i have built and im abit new to all this how ever i have learnt a hell of alot recently whilst doing it and enjoyed it.
    there is 3 options 11.32 11.34 and 11.36

any help thanks
    tom

jb72
    Free Member

Wheel size?

Chainring(s) size?

What sort of riding do you do?

CheesybeanZ

Mtb , cx, road , 1x, 2x, 3x – come on give us a clue

mtb1992
    Free Member

wheel size – 26″
    Triple Chain rings sizes 42.32.24t
    hmmm road and offroad a mixture really what ever takes my fancy.

tom

mtb1992
    Free Member

sorry guys mtb
    3 upfront

chickenman

11-32 will give you more gears than you could ever use with a triple chainset.

deadkenny
    Free Member

MTB, basically if there are hills involved you want more bottom end, so 36.

I’d only be looking at smaller if I was only doing flat stuff, xc racing on the flat, or purely DH.

Those all start at 11 at the top end and with the triple up to 42 you’ll get loads of flat speed, though likely you’ll only see that on the road. If you’re favouring off more than on, I’d consider not bothering with a triple as you may not use the big ring much if at all.

Have a play with gear ratio calculators online also. If you know a set up that you’re used to, put that in and play about with different options to see what ratios you gain or lose. Likewise try it with 2x or even 1x and see what a difference that makes.

p.s. 9 speed, 10, 11 ?

devash
    Free Member

11-32 should be more than enough with a triple chainset.

I’m currently running a triple with the same chainrings as you but with a 11-34 cassette and will change to an 11-32 when the cassette wears out as the lowest gears are far too spinny for me.

On the plus side, I can climb stuff most of my 1 x 11 mates could only dream of. 😆

soobalias
    Free Member

with those chainrings, 11.32

mtb1992
    Free Member

Deadkenny its 10speed.
    Any I had a look my old bike which is running 9spd triple up front and 11.34 back was more than good for what I use it for. So I’m gonna try either 11.32 or 11.34.

Tom

ampthill

It’s quite personal. I happily use a 22×34 on my 26″ wheel MTB. So I would go 36

But my more versatile bike (old hard tail with slicks) is 22×30 as the bottom gear. I get on fine with that as well as its less used for proper off road

mtb1992
    Free Member

Hmm well thanks for the help anyway guys. I appreciate like a lot of things on bikes it’s user preferance. I’ll have a think
    Tom

lesgrandepotato

I’d go 11-36 how many times do you wish for a lower gear? Then you’ll have it

mikewsmith
    Free Member

11-36,so when you go to 2x you have the better range

mtb1992
    Free Member

hi guys yeah was on the phone to crc today sorting out some things and got on to the conversation about cassette they recommended going 11.36. said its so much better for bottom end for hills etc. but perfectly usable for road use too. matches with 10 speed very well the said.

tom

dirtydog
    Free Member

Wide range 11-36 equals less shifting between front rings even with a triple, it’s not just about having ‘low enough’ gearing.

chrishc777
    Free Member

get whatever is cheapest, with a triple you’ll have about 15 surplus gears anyway, and the same gear about 3 times

ampthill

get whatever is cheapest, with a triple you’ll have about 15 surplus gears anyway, and the same gear about 3 times

It’ll last way longer than a 1 ring system as you’ll use each gear so much less often. Plus you can keep the chain reasonably straight most of the time 😀

I’ll get my coat, sorry off message

mtb1992
    Free Member

arghhhh cant decide… dont wanna get one and it be no use.

devash
    Free Member

Just go with the middle one i.e. 11-34.

duncancallum

36 would be my choice

ampthill

arghhhh cant decide… dont wanna get one and it be no use

Its not that bike a choice is it. Its like 1 gear hardly a bike wrecker

soobalias
    Free Member

its time you went to sheldon brown and used the gear inch calculator, so you can see exactly what you might be missing.

and im sure you have already checked the hub you have to see what ‘grade’ of cassette you should get…
    SRAM or Shimano…..
    and the best price?

but face it, if you ever decide to go 2x or 1x you will buy the appropriate chain and cassette at that point.

ads678

Which ever you choose, you won’t know if it’s right unless you buy all three and try them out so just go for the one with the biggest range. 11-36.

medoramas
    Free Member

I haven’t heard about anyone complaining “oh, I’ve got too many gears!” – go with the 36.

benw
    Free Member

I must be getting old i read choosing cassette radio ffs

njee20
    Free Member

36 for my money. The gaps aren’t an issue and fewer front shifts is all good.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Choosing Cassette Ratio’ is closed to new replies.