Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Choosing beavers/cubs group in your area ? Do you children go ?
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Arrrgghh there are about 10 different local groups to choose from how do you know what one to choose ?

Ideally want to him to go to a group that’s not connected with school etc so he can meet different children from different backgrounds etc

Would be beavers, what do they do there ?

dair86
    Free Member

Im a scout leader and have been for the last 10years. Been in the scouts since I was 5years old. In my opinion it is the single best thing people can get involved in. I have friends all over the world and have travelled extensively with it. From sweden to canada usa and Australia all to take part in scouting.

In my experience kids that join groups that there friends are in stay involved longer. I dont know of many grouos that pull from one school, so meeting new friends is part of the fun.

As for what beavers do, there moto is fun and friendship. Our breavers spend the nights playing games and completing badges that teach them a world of new skills. This year I have seen our cubs do things form, sleepovers, been climbing on an indoor wall, built model boats and raced them down the local river.

Just my thoughts. Hope your wee one joins and enjoys it as much as I do.

jamiea
    Free Member

As per dair, I’ve been in the Scouts ever since my parents sent me to Beavers so they could go down the pub 🙄

My wife was an assistant Beaver leader and got fed up with all the colouring-in etc. they were doing, so took on the Scout Leaders role when the opportunity came up! I’ve belayed Beavers on climbing walls and when crate stacking on camps and most have been better than the Cubs and some of the Scouts! Point is that different colonies tend to do what the leaders are comfortable with- have a word with the leaders and see which one will suit your lad.

All the colonies in our district have joining lists, it may be the case that you’ll get your lad into the one with a space! Alternatively, a great way to get him in might be to become a leader 😉 there are precious few leaders around , especially for Beavers and Cubs.

Cheers,
    Jamie

Bimbler
    Free Member

The one with the shortest waiting list that’s local to where you live, ime

tuffty
    Free Member

Scout leader here too 🙂 Agree fully with my fellow leaders comments.
    As soon as you have him in Beavers, get yourself along to the Cub pack or Scout Troop and become a leader, desperately short of leaders and the more leaders we have the more young kids we can get in the Scout movement.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

cheers guys I have emailed the local area coordinator and will await their reply.

Stoner
    Free Member

did I hear they were scrapping the “God” thing?

Just looking at the Beaver promise, and it wraps up with a promise to “Love God.”

hmmmm….

mark90
    Free Member

The groups with the longer waiting lists are often longer for a reason. Not all groups are equal. The range of activities can very considerably between groups. Although maybe that’s a good reason to get involved with a group that is maybe a little stale and needs new ideas and drive.

Daughter who is quite shy felt better going to a Rainbows group with a few kids from school (although she does have friends in all our local Rainbow groups), but has also made new friends in the group from other schools in the area.

Coyote
    Free Member

Just looking at the Beaver promise, and it wraps up with a promise to “Love God.”

There’s another thread going that you may find interesting. There’s also some mention of the Queen I think and as a republican I don’t let that spoil my lad’s participation and enjoyment. You may differ.

Agreed with all the positive comments. My lad loves it and had a great time away at his first camp last year. It pissed down all weekend and they got filthy, fantastic. Unfortunately I don’t have the time to commit to being a leader but am very appreciative of those that do. It’s a great movement.

footflaps

I went as a kid and never even noticed it was religious in any way. Then Blakes 7 started on TV on the same night, so I had to ditch Scouts for sci-fi. I spent the next 10 years worshipping Avon as a false prophet.

Stoner
    Free Member

At least the RFU is secular…

eskay

Try to talk to some people who go to the local packs, like mark90 says, some groups are (much) better than others.

We had one beaver session that was within walking distance but they were not particularly good. We went on a waiting list for another and eventually got in, the leaders put so much effort in and took them away weekends (something that the local one did not do). They are now both in scouts and the experience has been great for them in my opinion.

I help out when asked and really enjoy it. I coach a kids football team so cannot commit anymore time but I think if you do have spare time it would be a very rewarding experience.

tuffty
    Free Member

Yes there will be an alternative promise from January where the mention of god and queen are removed. It will run alongside the current promise.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Choosing beavers/cubs group in your area ? Do you children go ?’ is closed to new replies.