Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Choosing an Activity Tracker
  • hairylegs
    Free Member

Calling on the techies on STW.

My wife has expressed an interest in getting some kind of activity tracker for Christmas. Listening to what she wants it sounds as if it’s a bit more than a Fitbit and wants some GPS tracking capability.

So, I think it’s something like a cross between a Fitbit to be worn to measure activity, sleep etc and a Garmin Edge 810 to track where she’s been, how fast, how long etc.

Does such a thing exist?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Garmin do a Vivo that has GPS and HR, I have the basic HR version that syncs nicely with android, connect, my fitnss pal etc.

jam-bo

garmin 235 does all that for me. 24/7 HR, steps & sleep tracking, smart notifications. lasts about a week between charges if I don’t use GPS. does about 10hrs tracking on GPS.

Drac

I use a Garmin Vivoactive HR works really well. Records activity well, has many apps to find something to suit and works well with smartphones.

hairylegs
    Free Member

@ jam bo. Thanks for that … looks like it ticks the boxes. Can you synch/download the GPS track log with any mapping software after the activity?

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Garmin 230 here as I wanted a chest strap so I could wear the watch over my jacket…, great bit of kit. 235 if you want a built in HR monitor.

The Vivoactive also looked good but I peferer the round dial. Does pretty much the same function as is a bit cheaper afaik.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-comparison-calculator?type=watch&ids=51128%2C56799#results

Go Outdoors has 15% off with code DEC80 atm.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/garmin-vivoactive-hr-gps-smartwatch-p400044?utm_source=Criteo&utm_medium=Retargeting&utm_campaign=Criteo

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/garmin-forerunner-235-p385320

Cheers, Steve

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

hairylegs – Member
    @ jam bo. Thanks for that … looks like it ticks the boxes. Can you synch/download the GPS track log with any mapping software after the activity?

You can set it to auto sync to Strava, but the Garmin system is pretty good, also works with my fitness pal etc.

Cheers, Steve

jam-bo

if you are running the garmin connect app on a phone, 99% of the time it just happens automagically. generally while I’m still putting stuff away, the watch buzzes to tell me my activity is ready to view on strava.

edit: keep an eye on hotdealsuk. i paid £165 for mine, but you have to be quick.

edit edit: new garmin 35 looks like a good option. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01K9W5EJ0/?tag=ho01f-21

boxelder

Lezyne super GPS at £129 will do that. It’s a bike gizmo, but will do what you want.

davieg
    Free Member

Would a vivoactive or Fitbit Charge 2 be a good compliment to an Edge 500?

I like having my Edge upfront, but it is a faff having to upload via a laptop. Happy to keep using my Edge, but would be neat if I can upload the same data via a watch and phone, and have all the other functions of an activity watch.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

The 235 is billed as a running watch do you have any problems using it for biking? Or other multisport? I’m currently going between the vivoactive hr and the 235.

jam-bo

not at all. it was one of the improvements over the 225 that they included biking as an activity. on the road bike I have it connected to my ANT+ speed and cadence sensor. On the turbo I put it in ANT+ broadcast mode and use it as a HR monitor.

I was flipping between a fenix and the 235. i went for the 235 as it was about half the weight.

hairylegs
    Free Member

The 235 is billed as a running watch do you have any problems using it for biking? Or other multisport? I’m currently going between the vivoactive hr and the 235.

Coming down on the side of an 235 at the moment, but I can envisage the Garmin Edge still upfront and the 235 and being used more as a wear all the time watch/activity tracker and multi-sports watch

Drac

I wear my Vivo all the time; except at work; as an activity tracker, basic smart watch and just as a general watch.

It’ll last about 10 days just as a watch with no Bluetooth or GPs, with Bluetooth and GPS on about 12 hours, with just GPS about 18 and with just Bluetooth about 3 days. It can be charged while still recording too and charges very quick.

jam-bo

which bluetooth standard is a vivo? the 235 is bluetooth LE and makes next to no difference to the lifetime.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/smart-tech/smart-tech/smart-watches-and-fitness/smart-watches/sony-smartwatch-3-classic-swr50-black-10119743-pdt.html

It was £5 cheaper until very recently, still seems to match the best new price out there.

I’ve been deliberating over one of these for weeks, because it has its own GPS for doing the likes of Strava without having to be tethered to a mobile. Problem is my Nokia PAYG brick mobile is effectively dead (battery holds barely any charge) and I can’t decide whether to get a nice spec phone for up to ~£150 eg. Moto G4; or get a SSW3 plus a cheaper mobile.

Drac

which bluetooth standard is a vivo? the 235 is bluetooth LE and makes next to no difference to the lifetime.

I’ve no idea but I’m probably way out with 3 days. It’s currently on charge so I can test it later.

petrieboy

Garmin Fenix3 HR here – a bit spendy but does everything. the smart watch features have proven quite useful too which i didn’t expect (looked like a gimmick to me)

rocketman
    Free Member

The 235 is billed as a running watch do you have any problems using it for biking?

It might be where I ride but the GPS is quite flaky even on the highest setting. Much worse than my accident-damaged iPhone 5 for example which records faithfully and has all the health data built in

The Garmin takes some time to acquire the signal and straightlines several times during a ride

jam-bo

sounds faulty.

rocketman
    Free Member

Hmm do you think so?

It works OK out in the open but doesn’t like tree cover at all. Sometimes it auto-pauses but doesn’t restart 😕

jam-bo

never noticed any issues with mine. I’ve got GPS & Glonass enabled with 1s recording. I don’t use auto-pause.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Tomtom Spark 3 or Adventurer recommended.

The G/F has a Spark 2 which is great.

tailsmtb
    Free Member

I have the new vivo active hr, which I got after a forum member mentioned the down loadable apps. That’s the benefit for me, lots of free apps and widgets, one gives grid references etc.
    I like the activity minutes tracker etc as I’m now far more aware of how much I do in the week.
    Check out DCrainmaker for reviews. Also some good comparisons on you tube. Bought mine from John Lewis

tailsmtb
    Free Member

Btw just checked the GPS for my last trip to degla. Didn’t realise it knew all the names of all the sections I.e Julia’s trail.
    GPS is great on mine and seems to give 10 figure grid references!

Kuco

I use a TomTom spark 3. Main reason for getting the TomTom though was for it’s ability to store music on it.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I’ve had the Microsoft Band 2 since March, MsD has one coming for Xmas. (her choice).
    It works via an app on your phone, works with Apple/Android/Microsoft phones so no compatibility problems. Lots of connectivity, emails/texts/messages/social media updates etc all come to the band & there is the ability to answer via talk-to-text function.
    It has running/walking, cycling, golf(?), and ‘explore’ functions all with GPS tracking plus the standard step meter and HR/calorie count monitor.
    Thing is, if it isn’t to end up in a drawer by March it has to be something that’s helpful to wear all the time, not just when exercising – which I find this does.

wwaswas

Don’t get a pebble…

Drac

Ok had my Vivoactive HR running with Bluetooth on for about 26 hours and it’s at 86% so about a week.

Yeah the Apps and changeable watch face is great.

benp1

What does she do for a living? Will she be fussy about the aesthetics of a watch and how this works with her outfit?

Some of them can be quite large or intrusive

dalesjoe
    Free Member

What exactly is the improvement with the Forerunner 235 over the Vivoactive HR? Trying to decide between the two but seems the Vivoactive does more and costs less?

Also, can you manually set the time or is it all done automatically via the GPS? Due to work I often need the watch set to different times so is an important feature.

jam-bo

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-comparison-calculator?type=watch&ids=51128%2C56799#results

main difference seems to be is vivoactive only does smart recording, not 1s recording. can be important if you care about strava etc.

oh and time update, you can choose set automatically (GPS based I guess) or manually on the 235. when I crossed the channel yesterday it updated pretty quickly.

mickyfinn
    Free Member

His chart is incorrect (for once) The Vivoactive HR can be set to 1 second record.

prawny

My FR235 just crapped out after 4 months. Going back to Garmin tomorrow.

Not sure whether to keep it now, it’s been good, but I’ve put my old Pebble time back on while I’m waiting and as a day to day watch its lovely. You can get the last ones with HR built in for £80 on ebay with a 12 month Argos warranty.

Any one fancy a fresh FR235 when I get it back?

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Choosing an Activity Tracker’ is closed to new replies.