Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Choosing a wireless router
  • Moses

My router seems to have died, after 5 years of so.
    How do I choose another? There seem to be hundreds of the damn boxes available, mostly looking the same, at vastly different prices

We’re on cable, in a large house, with up to six or so devices connected to wifi at the same time, (Laptops, phones, a tablet)

footflaps

We use an Apple Extreme Wifi Router and it’s been superb and fault free for many years.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Any devices or wireless ac, or plans to upgrade? That could help you narrow it down, the new crop of routers can help you get the most out of cable speeds over WiFi.

For examle
    http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/R7000.aspx

Not cheap though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    footflaps

You’ll only get the high speeds if every device on the network also supports it, otherwise it just drops down to the lowest common denominator when the slow devices are in use.

somouk
    Free Member

You’ll only get the high speeds if every device on the network also supports it, otherwise it just drops down to the lowest common denominator when the slow devices are in use.

Not if it’s a duel band router broadcasting on 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz.

I use an Asus dark knight router with the merlin firmware and it’s excellent. Also works with Sky which is the big bonus for me with their silly MER authentication.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Choosing a wireless router’ is closed to new replies.