Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Choosing a new chain
  • GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I need to get a new chain for my bike. The one on it is a Shimano HG73 chainrings are Shimano M442 Cassette is SRAM PG950.

I’m hoping to get a new chain tomorrow from LBS or Halfords. Do I need to get exactly the correct model of chain or are there a number of chains that will fit? I could get one online but need one tomorrow.

Thanks

allthepies
    Free Member

A Shimano or SRAM chain of the same spec (as in 9 speed / 10 speed etc) will be fine. The possible issue will be how many miles your “old” chain has done, too many and a new chain will skip on the cassette and/or chainrings meaning you need to change those also.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Thanks. Hopefully it’ll be ok. My LBS said that the drive train didn’t show too much sign of wear but it’s been ridden regularly for 2 years now so dunno.

_tom_
    Free Member

I use a KMC x9, have had nothing but bad experiences with both shimano and sram!

akira

Sram is my usual choice, having the powerlink makes taking chain off a bit easier and less faffing about generally.

allthepies
    Free Member

Two years of regular riding seems very much in new drivechain territory IMO. You might be lucky however 🙂

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Maybe I should just replace the missing links from my repair job and keep running the same chain then replace the whole lot when the chain totally dies. How long should the drive train last for before it needs replacement?

cynic-al
    Free Member

If any manufacturer made bad chains they would not be in business, individuals’ experiences are not statistically relevant.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If any manufacturer made bad chains they would not be in business, individuals’ experiences are not statistically relevant.

Shimano had a bad yea when they moved production.

SRAM had a few bad years when they bought SACHS, sold the old stock then started making cheep rubbish.

Which is why people will tell you that one or the other is rubbish, because at soem point in the last 10 years they’ve both been pants. Both seem to have reached a level now though. KMC make chains for Shimano IIRC and usually cost 20% less of not even cheaper.

I usually get 12 months from a drive train before the shifting is unacceptably crap. If I run it for any longer it starts to slip. So I usually replace the chain and cassette at the same time sometime around Easter when the trails dry out. But I started singlespeeding this winter so might get 2 summers out of a chain and cassette?

If I were you I’d replace the chain, cassette, jockey wheels, and probably the middle chainring, the granny as well if you use it much, big rings tend to last longer.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Thanks spoon. Sounds like sound advice.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Furry muff TINAS you know more than me on this…except:

If I were you I’d replace the chain, cassette, jockey wheels, and probably the middle chainring, the granny as well if you use it much, big rings tend to last longer

You are kidding right? Chain and cassette probably…the rest can await a test ride methinks.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Choosing a new chain’ is closed to new replies.