• This topic has 51 replies, 44 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by gfere40-spam.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Choosing a holiday destination – what a mare!
  • rascal
    Free Member

For the first time in 7 years me and the wife are looking to go abroad for a week or so.
    We’ve both had a shit year so far (both lost a parent each) and feel like ‘sod it – let’s do it’.
    First week of September’s booked off with work – want somewhere we can chill out on the beach where we can swim, eat, drink as and when we please – no kids.
    Not too far (3-ish hours flight), nice and warm but not meltingly hot – we are generally not lazing-about by the pool types but if we could go to local interesting places nearby (hire car?) that would appeal.
    We are not seasoned travellers (last 3 trips abroad – Morzine!) so wouldn’t have a clue where is good/bad etc etc. We always stay here because it’s easier (but bloody expensive – food and I like beers!) – friends just got back from Kefalonia and loved it – saw pics, made enquiries etc but the place they had isn’t available so gone off idea a little. Puerto Pollenca in Majorca has been recommended but not sure. Don’t want a chavvy holiday – want to relax somewhere nice that isn’t full of tw*ts – apart from me that is 😉

What do you look for when going somewhere new abroad?

Help!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

MOst places have a ‘strip’ where the yoofs/bellends spend their time and a nicer bit for normal people. You’re making this harder than you need to. Either of the previuos recommendations would be fine. Been to both and both are relatively quiet laid back holiday places.

thebrowndog
    Free Member

How about Crete – the rustic, undeveloped west side rather than the east which is slowly turning into a British packaged tourism enclave. Fly to Chania. Beaches are lovely. The locals friendly and welcoming. Rental property is good value and there tavernas everywhere that are cheap and healthy.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ebygomm
    Free Member

I think if you’re happy to get a hire car and not stay in a resort even destinations that have a ‘chavy’ reputation could fit the bill.

Are you looking for hotels or an apartment?

monkeychild
    Free Member

Bulgaria??

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Rural Italy or Provence.

imnotamused
    Free Member

Puerto Pollensa is not chavvy at all. Trust me, I would not be going back on Saturday having had the best family holiday ever last year if it was.

Sweeping white beach, lapping Mediterranean shores, stay in the southern part of the resort if you want the beach.

Oh, and the road biking is excellent there too…

wrightyson
    Free Member

Santorini, small Greek Island.
    Friends went last year. Sound just like you to be fair. Well they had no kids then and absolutely loved it.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

The Costa Brava! 😀
    No, not Tossa or similar toilets, but somewhere like Llafranc or Tamariu.
    No high rises, no hotels with pools. Just a beach and Marina with friendly little restaurants and bars (none English owned!)
    Barcelona’s only a taxi ride away if you want some culture and the coastline is stunning. (As are the Pyrenees if you fancy a ride…)
    It shouldn’t be crowded in September.

rascal
    Free Member

We’ve had some suggestions from a travel agent friend-of-friend tonight too.
    What a bloody game this is! Santorini, Skiathos, Skala (round the corner from Katelios where friends stayed) – trouble is the conflicting Tripadvisor reviews on some of the digs.
    Would rather an apartment as opposed to hotel.

Tempted to stay here again!

globalti
    Free Member

Look at Lucca, near Pisa. Seriously; my sister and BIL have just come back from there and they said it was absolutely fantastic.

Otherwise Calvi on Corsica is a nice, quiet, convenient little place with no lager louts. 10 minutes from airport to town, stay at the Regina Hotel, 10 mins walk from some excellent restaurants, beach, rocks for snorkeling, port for gawping at the yachts, hire a car or scooters and explore the island.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Kalithea or Lindos – Rhodes. Lovely beaches quiet but if you want lively faliraki is down the road from Kalithea.
    Lindos has some lovely restaraunts and bars with nice views.

peterfile
    Free Member

Can’t go too far wrong with the South of France IMO.

As Tom said, Provence is lovely.

Also, to echo Tom’s other suggestion, you also can’t go too far wrong with Tuscany.

Plenty of accommodation options in either…from cheap gites to top end luxury.

lunge

Based on what you have described I am going to recommend where I have just come back from (literally, I arrived home 1 hour ago).
    The Fiesta Hotel Cala Gracio, Ibiza.
    2.5 hour flight and 30 minute transfer.
    Adult only hotel with pool.
    Beach attached, no chavs in residence, only locals.
    No chavs at the hotel and very few Brits at all, mostly Germans, not a bad thing at all in my experience.
    All inclusive but with good food and drink, not your usual buffet fair.
    30 minute walk along the coast to Sunset Strip if you want to have a beer with a bit of deep house in the background.
    55 minute walk from San Antonio town, far to far for the chavs to be bothering and you’re in the opposite direction to most of the clubs anyway.
    Or walk in the opposite direction and find lots of little coves and restaurants full of locals.
    Car hire available and lots to see as well, Ibiza is a very interesting island away from a small, scummy bit.
    Weather would be great in September too, mid 20’s I’d guess.

Job done, seriously, it’s bloody awesome.

konabunny
    Free Member

turkey? fethiye?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

trouble is the conflicting Tripadvisor reviews on some of the digs.

Trip advisor :- a place where bitter people go to punish hotels/accommodation
    a place for people who expect 5* service for 2* prices

You need a fairly good filter to get past the miserable idiots and their 1* review because there was only 1 soap left after the room had been cleaned.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

We had a splendid time at the Aqua hotel in Icmeler, Turkey.

We’d go back. Relaxing non chavvy hotel in a relaxing non chavvy resort. It’s not up itself either.

Nice beach, watersports, snorkelling, boat trips, Marmaris just a boat ride away to make you truly thankful you chose Icmeler.

Clicky click trip advisor link by people who paid 4* prices and got 5* service

No ” Trip Advisor Idiot filter” required.

JoeG
    Free Member

Sochi, Russia. I bet you’ll have the place to yourselves. 😉

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Another vote for Northern Italy. We try to go most years somewhere near Lake Garda. Day’s out to Verona, Venice and Turin with days in little villages by the lake and relaxing by the pool. Last year we stayed in Riva Del Garda and I couldn’t recommend it enough.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Another vote for Lindos-Rhodes here. Hire a car and you can see the entire Island, there’s literally a handful of other cars on the road so it’s not a stress. So much to see on the Island and the people are lovely.

LHS
    Free Member

Santorini

Went to this hotel earlier in the year.

http://www.zannos.gr/

Extremely relaxing.

scandal42
    Free Member

Wayne

I can echo the peoples positive vibes towards Rhodes.

I went a few years back and stayed in Pefkos, which is just around the headland from Lindos, you can take a really nice boat trip round for the day and then enjoy a cruise back in the evening (avoid riding a donkey to the top of the acropolis, WALK)

Hire a car or bike and cruise the island, it’s fantastic. Rhodes old town for a bit of History, Pefkos itself has some lower key bars and nice restaurants. The beach was very nice and not crowded when we went.

Stayed here http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g666539-d622133-Reviews-Lindia_Thalassa_Resort-Pefkos_Rhodes_Dodecanese.html

Lifer
    Free Member

Montpellier?

theflatboy
    Free Member

Crete is an excellent shout, just got back from there. Lovely.

Also consider Puglia.

mogrim

The Costa Brava!
    No, not Tossa or similar toilets, but somewhere like Llafranc or Tamariu.
    No high rises, no hotels with pools. Just a beach and Marina with friendly little restaurants and bars (none English owned!)
    Barcelona’s only a taxi ride away if you want some culture and the coastline is stunning. (As are the Pyrenees if you fancy a ride…)
    It shouldn’t be crowded in September.

The Costa Brava is great, the area around Girona (and Girona itself) is stunning, great little beaches and some fun diving. The only thing is that I’m not sure the weather would be guaranteed to be great – almost certainly a lot better than the UK, but it could rain in September…

turbo1397
    Free Member

I too would reccommend rhodes..as has been said above, pefkos is nice as are most of the villages around there.I have family out there and try and get out at least once a year. Also great roads for road biking!

Kryton57

I’m not going for 3 weeks but we found a good price for a weeks inclusive with 2 kids in Ibiza also, I believe around the corner from Lunge’s place…

£1800 all inclusive for 4, 2.20hr flight from Gatwick.

eightyeight
    Free Member

friends just got back from Kefalonia and loved

As I was reading the first bit I immediately thought of Kefalonia. Beautiful island. You can see lots of different villages from a base. We hired a boat and did some free diving – amazing.

Here is the place we stayed:
    http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g644214-d655038-Reviews-Enalion_Suites-Lassi_Cephalonia_Ionian_Islands.html

Highly recommended.

wallop

+1 Santorini – we honeymooned there a few years ago (late September) and saw about 4 Brits the whole two weeks we were there. Stayed in Oia – this was the view from our terrace:

john_drummer
    Free Member

just got back from a week in Sorrento, Italy. fantastic. Would be toasty but not roasty in September.
    places to see: Pompeii, Herculaneum, Vesuvius (coach or car part way up then walk up to the crater), Naples (the home of pizza), boat trips to Capri or Ischia. Long road trip (3-4 hours each way) to Rome. Amalfi / Positano coast not far round the peninsula

some pics here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/johnhooper_drum/sets/72157645170034827/

dannyh
    Free Member

Just go to Skiathos. It is lovely, quiet everywhere except for the main town (which is just nice, not rowdy) and it is quite mild and green by greek island standards.

Santorini is also nice, but a bit hotter. Lots of pushy Russians in Oia, but main town was lovely and some really good trips out. Black sand on beaches in the south mean flip-flops are essential to get to the water’s edge. I am not kidding when I say it will griddle your feet otherwise.

I can’t recommend Skiathos highly enough. We always stayed at the Green Meadow apartments – basic, but really clean and just plonked in a green field with a swimming pool. Beach ten minutes walk away. Tavernas nearby are very friendly and do food to die for. Wash down with a few pints of Mythos.

iolo
    Free Member

Croatia. My choice would be Split plus a few islands.

scholarsgate
    Free Member

+1 croatia

vinnyeh

john_drummer, looks lovely, where did you stay?

We’ve a week in Rome shortly, looking for somewhere coastal for a week or so after that.

john_drummer
    Free Member

we stayed at Art Hotel Gran Paradiso in Sorrento – although I guess it’s nearer to Sant Agnello.

Trip Advisor thingy here

the top few photos down as far as St Peter’s Square are of Capri, Rome obviously after that, and vesuvius and Bay of Naples after that. The sunsets and distant views of vesuvius are from our balcony

sadexpunk

ive been looking at croatia since seeing it recommended on here but a few people ive asked have said we’d be bored. considering we just like lazing round a pool or on the beach on a greek island, having meals and drinks in local tavernas, im not sure what they mean by that :-/

anyone care to comment on that? (they mentioned dubrovnik/dalmatian coast)

rascal
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies folks – certainly a few suggestions there.
    The better half has gone all old-skool and been to the travel agents and got brochures – probably for every warm coastal destination in Europe!
    Seems to be a lot of love for Greeceland – will explore our options there first and take it from there…keep them coming! 8)

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

My destinations of choice for a quick bit of sun:

Croatia
    Cyprus
    Italy – Puglia (East coast of Italy)
    Greek Islands, the smaller the quieter usually. Been to Paxos and Kefalonia, loved them both.

If you just want to relax and have some piece and quiet any of the above would work well.

Go on owners direct and find a nice little apartment/villa. Easyjet flights and you’re done.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

ive been looking at croatia since seeing it recommended on here but a few people ive asked have said we’d be bored. considering we just like lazing round a pool or on the beach on a greek island, having meals and drinks in local tavernas, im not sure what they mean by that :-/

anyone care to comment on that? (they mentioned dubrovnik/dalmatian coast)

Didn’t find the food up to much in Croatia. May have been unlucky though. Considering you have Italy just across the water the food was nowhere near as good. We just BBQ’d most days in the end, which was great anyway.

Edited to add: Please don’t let that put you off, beautiful country, stunning climate, clear clean sea, friendly people and it’s pretty cheap. We love it. Just research where you go for decent eating spots, if that’s what floats your boat, or self cater. 🙂

apj
    Free Member

@sadexpunk: We went to Croatia a few years ago, stayed a couple of nights in Dubrovnik, did an evening sea kayaking trip, then got a speedy ferry across to the island of Mljet, where we stayed in Polace which is a harbour lined with sea food tavernas, bars etc. You could swim off the harbour side, or hire a bike/car/walk to go up the road to a beautiful salt water lake which has a beachy bit I think, more bars etc. Plenty of opportunity for people watching what with all the posh yachts that moor up there.

We stayed here: http://www.apartments-radulj.com/ which was lovely and very reasonable. We went towards the end of September when it was still hot but out of season, and the local apartment owners queue up waiting for the ferry to try and rent their apartments, so you can get a good deal.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Choosing a holiday destination – what a mare!’ is closed to new replies.