Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • choosing a 29er..?
  • bigjim

I like my transition smuggler a lot, some people over on mtbr have built them up pretty light, mine is xl and about 31.5 lbs, though I haven’t tried to make it light. It climbs very well though.

turbo1397
    Free Member

Just perusing the Internet and stumbled across the orbea orcam tr m30..looks a nice bike with good geometry.. also comes shipped with 2×11 and 1×11.. anyone own one or have any experience?

Cheers

drovercycles
    Free Member

Plus any that I forgot

Lots of good bikes on that list, lots more already mentioned – only one I’d add in to the mix is the Pyga OneTen.

If you’d like to try the Smuggler or the Pyga, give us a shout! Also have ex-demo frames/builds of both for sale (though not sure I can bring myself to sell the Smuggler yet…)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    teamslug
    Free Member

Turbo1397…see my previous post. Ive just got a TR M-ltd. Absolutely brilliant. I just use it 1 x 11. Feels like a 26 with all the advantages of the big wheels. I’m 6’1 and large feels spot on. 23.8lb but it was very expensive. Orbea have demo bikes available. Looks lovely in orange too. Did sixty miles last Sunday round Langsett and Wharncliffe etc and it was great. I’m in Yorkshire if you want a look.

turbo1397
    Free Member

@teamslug.. I’m 6 2″ with a 34 inseam.. and looong arms. Was thinking about the xl. The tr m30 looks good value at the top of my budget at 3k. Looks lovely in the orange. Just need to try and find somewhere that does demo’s.im from Scotland but would travel.

teamslug
    Free Member

Think you might be right with xl. I had demo from the bike shop in cross gates Leeds. It wasn’t their bike but was fetched in by orbea importer. I believe his name is dieter but who he works for I don’t know. Are there any orbea dealers near you.?. It really is a stunning piece of kit. Lifetime warranty on frame too. A minor , very minor , point is that I have clipped the seat stay a few times with my heel but I had my winter boots on. It’s a boost rear end so stays are a bit wider. If that is the only negative I can find I’ll be pretty damn happy.

turbo1397
    Free Member

Having a go on a tallboy next weekend and then a shot on the orbea the week after. Got a chance of a trek fuel ex9.8 for about 1.9k. It’s a trek though…

StuE
    Free Member
    turbo1397
    Free Member

That 29er looks seriously impressive. 150mm pikes on a 29er would be interesting!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Camber evo sorted

TheFopster
    Free Member

I narrowed down to Orbea Occam TR or Canyon Nerve, but suspect my riding is more mincecore. Ordered the Canyon a week ago – may be here in time for Xmas day if I’m lucky! New bike – happy, happy, joy, joy.

turbo1397
    Free Member

@the fopster. Was it the tr m30 you were thinking about? What model strive did you opt for?

LMT
    Free Member

Too late to the party, most know my biking from previous threads, but last year I had a Canyon Grand Canyon Hardtail 29er and loved it, also had a camber expert 26er, eventually I sold both and got a new 29er Camber, this years model is based on last years evo and its immense best bike ive had in a while. Yes its £2k and the kit is a bit basic but its so sorted on the trails.

mr_stru

Best bike I’ve ever had. definitely recommend it.

Am I the only person who finds it bothersome when the seat stays and the shock aren’t in a straight line? I don’t care how good a bike it is, every time I looked at it I’d just be irked.

r1chardh
    Free Member

If there are budget constraints I’d recommend looking for a discounted Camber Expert Evo (the one with a carbon front triangle). I have an alloy-framed camber evo 29er and I’m blown away by how well it rides (and it sounds like the journos at MBR are too) but it’s quite heavy.

z1ppy

Am I the only person who finds it bothersome when the seat stays and the shock aren’t in a straight line? I don’t care how good a bike it is, every time I looked at it I’d just be irked.

Nope, it’s the geometry of it that I dislike, compared to the others on that main “list” as everyone else has moved onto slacker angle, but the SC is still steep and too long at the rear end, though it is marketed as more an XC bike unlike the rest. I’d thought a Tallbox LT replacement had been due for while, what happened to that?

allyharp

I love my Salsa Horsethief (split pivot model from 2014 on) and it ticks a lot of the boxes here. Not the easiest to find though.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

150mm pikes on a 29er would be interesting!

It’s great! Add an offset shock bushing and it really gets interesting! Funny how you can slacken the angles on a decent stock – already slack – bike and it still climbs well. Never be afraid to keep slackening your bike off until you’re happy with it.

Legoman
    Free Member

linky

Cube Stereo?

Carbon version at a decent price at CRC right now.

turbo1397
    Free Member

Looked good. But out of stock and for a carbon 29er nearly 14.5kg..

dreednya

Ibis ripley 2/Ibus ripley 2 LS?

turbo1397
    Free Member

I’ve got the chance of a spesh camber comp carbon for 1800.. or santa cruz tallboy Ltc frame with pikes, reverb headset, stem.. For 1700.. haven’t ridden either which isn’t ideal. The spesh is new which is better whereas obviously I wouldn’t have a warranty with the santa cruz..

crashrash

Given the budget the Whyte is pretty hard to beat – I know the rear tyre clearance is limiting but for all day in the saddle across Dartmoor it is hard to beat. Great do everything bike and good value. Not ridden the spesh camber or stumpy though and both have great write ups – but they are Specialized…..
    Dream bike is the pivot 429 but that Evil looks awesome!
    I did try a Tallboy LT but not convinced.The VPP is not for everyone so you must try it first. My mate has one and loves it (it was his I tried) but it is a bit of a marmite bike. Plus I could not afford it anyway!

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘choosing a 29er..?’ is closed to new replies.