Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Cholesterol, what's yours? [may contain elements of smugness]
  • twinw4ll
    Free Member

I had my cholesterol done today, contrary to always saying i wouldn’t bother, my Cholesterol /HDL ratio was 2.3 and my HDL[mmol/mol] was 2.1
    It looks like all that exercise and clean living is paying dividends. 🙂

footflaps

No idea, never had it measured.

Only found out my blood pressure for the first time last Friday (age 45)! Wife was in hospital recovering from GA and so I unplugged her from the Vital signs monitor and plugged myself in (after disabling the alarms).

Solo
    Free Member

twinw4ll – Member

I had my cholesterol done today, contrary to always saying i wouldn’t bother, my Cholesterol /HDL ratio was 2.3 and my HDL[mmol/mol] was 2.1
    It looks like all that exercise and clean living is paying dividends.

Lets hope so, along with you having a low LDL figure?
    🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Solo
    Free Member

footflaps – Member

No idea, never had it measured.

Only found out my blood pressure for the first time last Friday (age 45)! Wife was in hospital recovering from GA and so I unplugged her from the Vital signs monitor and plugged myself in (after disabling the alarms).

Naturally. And you would have got away with it, but for the fact you just fessed-up on here!

ads678

Never had my cholesterol measured, but I turn 40 in April so will hopefully get an invite to the doctors for an MOT shortly afterwards!!

woody2000

I turn 40 in April so will hopefully get an invite to the doctors

I’m in my mid 40’s and have never received such an invite. Last time I was at the docs I even asked, his reply was basically “You’re not overweight and you’re active. If you feel ok, then you’re probably ok.”

Makes some sense I suppose 🙂

I’ve no idea what my cholesterol level is, nor my BP for that matter!

ads678

My Mrs got one after her 40th last year, so I assumed i’d get one also. I shall wait and see.

I am overweight and although I am usually quite active. I haven’t been for the last 4/5 months, and I can feel it………..

miketually
    Free Member

I got my cholesterol levels checked last year, as I had high blood pressure. Can’t remember what the numbers were, but they were fine. In fact, I think my unfasted levels were lower than the looked for fasted levels.

(As far as I can tell, high blood pressure is a symptom of being a teacher.)

footflaps

Naturally. And you would have got away with it, but for the fact you just fessed-up on here!

Well the nurse came round for her look in and found me hooked up to the machine and just complimented me on my blood pressure 113/49 and then left….

P-Jay
    Free Member

Was 9.2 2 years ago, then 6.3 3-4 months ago, it ‘should’ be below 5 now.

Triglyceride was 4.2, then 3.7 now 2.5, again should be below 2 now.

I’ve got Familial Hypercholesterolemia and thankfully perfect blood presure and I’m reasonably fit so thankfully no ill effects yet, I’ve been given 40ml of statins a day and with a change in diet I should be under the magic 5 now.

fasthaggis

Here is the result from my smugomatic test

Shred
    Free Member

I don’t understand that. I know of people who have high cholesterol but are fit and skinny, and low cholesterol but are overweight.
    My uncle was an ultra-endurance runner regularly doing 100 milers and he dropped dead from a heart attack and had very high cholesterol, which went undiagnosed as he never had it checked.
    I get mine checked yearly, even though it is usually in the exceptionally good range.

footflaps

I don’t understand that. I know of people who have high cholesterol but are fit and skinny, and low cholesterol but are overweight.

It’s mainly genetic…

Solo
    Free Member

woody2000 – Member
    Last time I was at the docs I even asked, his reply was basically “You’re not overweight and you’re active. If you feel ok, then you’re probably ok.”

Makes some sense I suppose

Shred – Member

My uncle, he dropped dead from a heart attack and had very high cholesterol, which went undiagnosed as he never had it checked.

😯

footflaps

My uncle was an ultra-endurance runner regularly doing 100 milers and he dropped dead from a heart attack and had very high cholesterol, which went undiagnosed as he never had it checked.

Did he die from high cholesterol though and would knowing he had high cholesterol have made any difference…..

woody2000

Shred – did the cholesterol cause the heart attack or something else?

Shred
    Free Member

Dunno, it was about 25 years ago, so can’t really remember. The thing for me is that saying someone is thin and fit, so therefore should not get cholesterol checked is terrible advice since genetics can play a major part in cholesterol levels.

Solo
    Free Member

Shred – Member
    The thing for me is that saying someone is thin and fit, so therefore should not get cholesterol checked is terrible advice

I agree. That was my point ^^

Woody, imo, your Doc wasn’t doing you any favours with that attitude. Get a check done. If you’re ok, great, if not, then the sooner you know, the better.

woody2000

I shall do so! 😀

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

mine was 2.3 taken yesterday overall score 3.1

nurse wanted to know how comes its so low considering I’m a tad over weight…told her don’t eat any fried stuff, milk only in tea and haven’t eaten marg/butter in years !

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

mine was done off the back of a blood pressure scare a few months ago. It came out higher than I was expecting at 5.2, but my ratios and triglycerides were on the good side of normal, So I walked away without any statins, which, at 42, I was pleased about.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

only time I’ve ever had any tests done on me was when I was dragged faced down thru the snow into Dr Deaths secret mountain top laboratory, suffering from altitude sickness. She was quite excited as I was her first English experiment.
    This place here, top floor:

ajf
    Free Member

Mother is quite skinny and she has very high cholestrol, had to go on statins much to her annoyance, as diet was not touching it.

Means it a stroke and heart attack risk and people in family have had strokes so its hereditary.

Went for a “wellman” test at the docs to check mine due to the hereditary nature and knocking on door of 40. Can’t remember what its exact number it was, but it was normal, everything else I didn’t hear as was slightly nervous about my love of pies.

Think there is a general perception to think skinny == healthy, but skinny and no exercise and rubbish diet can be just as unhealthy as fat no exercise

nickc

don’t know, don’t care.

Edukator
    Free Member

A couple of results from over 50 check ups:

Total 1.34 then 1.43
    HDL 0.57 then 0.70
    Ratio 2.4 then 2.04
    LDL 0.60 then 0.58

miketually
    Free Member

skinny and no exercise and rubbish diet can be just as unhealthy as fat no exercise

Can’t remember the source, but I remember reading that you are better to be skinny and unfit than fit and fat.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Strangely enough I went to the Docs last week asking for the results of my health check. I have a cholesterol level of 1.7 which were in his words ‘the lowest level in his practice’. Mainly genetic according to him but lifestyle does help.

Macavity
    Free Member

Macavity
    Free Member

Edukator
    Free Member

Excellent, Mcavity.

You’ll find just one STW poster has been consistently suggesting the Lyon version of the Mediterranean diet, me 8)

anagallis_arvensis

Mines 5.9. Apparently they consider patients too stupid to tell them the ldl ratio etc in a letter. This is after spending 6 months earing leaves.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Cholesterol, what's yours? [may contain elements of smugness]’ is closed to new replies.