Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • cholesterol and statins
  • headfirst
    Free Member

So there I was quietly confident that, after doing just short of 1000 miles on the bikes so far this year, eating pretty healthily and drinking very moderately (1.5 pints at the weekly pub quiz and not a lot else), my cholesterol level would have come down significantly from the 6.2 it was a year ago, especially as I've lost 10 pounds along the way. I phoned my gp's surgery to get my result and after a short wait the receptionist said 'its normal'. I asked what the number was and after another wait she told me it was…6.7!!!

I was gobsmacked and now I'm feeling rather gloomy :(. Does a life of taking statins everyday now beckon for me? I'm the fittest and fastest I've ever been on a bike, my mate at the weekend was saying how much improved I am keeping up with him up these pennine hills round here. And I'm only 37.

So I want to know about your experience, especially regarding statins – are there any negative effects from taking them, etc. Are there other things I can be doing apart from going on a celery and water diet?

uplink
    Free Member

There's another thread on here about cholesterol levels – I recall one of the points raised was that diet would do little to affect it – which I guess you've found out

headfirst
    Free Member

done a quick peruse and search fishy, and I cant see anything, point me in the right direction??

uplink
    Free Member
    headfirst
    Free Member

cheers 😳

0pt1cal
    Free Member

I'm 38…I'm fit, excercise every day, eat healthy, don't smoke, drink or take drugs. At my annual health test I'm in the athletic zone with fitness plus everything else is great, but I'm still through the roof with cholesterol. I went for a second opinion and diet will not make a difference with my lifestyle.

Been on Statins for 2 years and will be for the rest of my life.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I wouldn't get too despondent headfirst …. just imagine what your cholesterol level would be if you didn't have a healthy lifestyle.

thejesmonddingo

Sweet child,mine was 10.2 on first diagnosis,and now it's 6.6 I'm a happy bunny,but you're on the statins for life.
    Ian
    P.S. the medics like it to be less than 5 now

0pt1cal
    Free Member

I've gone from 9.6 to 3.2 by taking 10mg statins

thejesmonddingo

Depends which statin,the doses aren't all the same.
    ian

waihiboy
    Free Member

bloke in work was on statins for a while he gave them up as they were messing with his head, out of breath, just didnt feel right and did nothing to bring his figures down.

about a month after taking them he had a mild stroke in work!

he was fit for his age 62 and ate well and was not overweight.

he is convinced the statins were a contributing factor in the stroke.

just his view

Ed2001
    Free Member

I was on statins a few years ago but had to stop due to terrible aching muscle/cramp effects. This was the lowest dose and trying about 3 differnt ones . I then got a new Doc who is keen rider ( cat 2 I think) who told me this was quite common in runners and cyclist etc to be intolerant to them, and advised me to knock them on the head. Changed my diet a little more good fats and Im now ok.I only say this as the statins really **** up my riding, so beware.

headfirst
    Free Member

Just coming back to this from overnight, cheers for the comments fellas. I'd heard that it can affect your riding and I really don't fancy that, although as always there's conflicting evidence: optical v ed!

From looking at the forum fishy linked to, I've worked out my qrisk and I'm better than normal in that sense. Go figure…

donald
    Free Member
    kimbers

statins also probably protect you against cancer

donald
    Free Member

statins also probably cause cancer

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Read this book

I wish I hadn't – now I feel sick and expect to die at any moment 🙁

donald
    Free Member

Well you are very old Simon 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Well you are very old Simon

it says the fatty deposits start at age 10 🙁

I have no strong objection to dying, but I'd like some warning to get my affairs in order. I'd much prefer death to dysfunctional decrepitude.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

well, I've bought the book, but I may have to put it in the freezer like Joey when I get to the scary bits :o)

I gather I have dangerously low cholesterol levels…

donald
    Free Member

Rather ironic – if a book designed to reassure you about your cholesterol levels raises your stress levels.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘cholesterol and statins’ is closed to new replies.