Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Choices to coat inside of steel frame are…
  • Wally

All of the following are at hand before I build up;
    1) nothing
    2) engine oil
    3) GT 85
    4) chainsaw oil
    5) spray grease……….I think
    6 ) wd40
    7) teflon wd40 type stuff
    8) MTFU and ride it like you stole it
    suggestions?
    Will use hot blower to heat up frame and run around any lube and drain.

nickc

Don't bother, it really is a waste of time

qwerty
    Free Member

man oil

bikemonkey
    Free Member

? Do what with your what now?

schrickvr6
    Free Member

If you're really worried some of this – http://www.bilthamber.com/dynaxs50.html

angryratio
    Free Member

suppose you could blast some waxoyl inside the tubes… but really i'd sooner leave it open to the elements.
    Ride the bugger.. bin it/whatever.
    Unless its made of some rare unobtanium alloy i paid 10000 for i'd treat it more like a disposable item.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

I'm currently on nothing in my Cove. In the past I've used Waxoyl, WD40 etc in steel frames, but currently all I've done is put a good smear of grease in the BB shell.

PJay
    Free Member

Framesaver? I use it on mine.

bassspine
    Free Member

waxoyl is popular with CTC members 🙂
    Used engine oil apparently has acids in it which may accelerate corrosion

my suggestion would be to use a high quality extra virgin olive oil. O_o

Wally

So nothing I have then?
    Might just go with the lobotomy's suggestion.

bassspine
    Free Member

there's a fifty year old Raleigh bike in the shop right now, never been waxoyled or anything. Has it rusted through?

go on, guess.

Wally

aye, lad they don't make them like they used to.
    I am hoping my frame is a little thinner in guage.
    But i agree, I could be wasting my time, hence I do not want to waste money.

mrmo
    Free Member

don't bother with anything…

bonesetter
    Free Member

I have used framesaver, and spray can waxoyl on mine, and re coat every 12 months depending on use/conditions

You know it makes sense

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

nowt. you'll have forgotten all about the frame before it rusts through anyway.

alexpalacefan

I put framesaver in mine, it's a few quid, for peace of mind if nothing else.

A

woodsman
    Free Member

If you're not going to buy anything I'd go for chainsaw oil, although I don't know how you're going to get it in the chainstays, with it's viscocity.

My job is repairing rusted thin walled metal, I just don't get why the nay-sayers are so against rust prevention. A 50 year old road bike isn't the same, and hasn't had the same use of mud, and muc-off type cleaners and hose pipe cleaning regimes.

Framesaver, Waxoyl (my recommendation), or similar, a few quid, why not. I've had my steel framed bike for nearly five years, and I plan on keeping it forever.

Wally

Thanks woodsman, chainsaw oil in syringe with aquarium piping to squirt in the stay holes by BB is the plan.

boxelder

Nothing. I've had an Orange for 15 yrs, no sign of any problem, and it's thin tubing. Take seatpost out and turn it upside down once in a while. Drill two small holes in the BB shell.

jond
    Free Member

Any tips for using waxoyl? – I've tried spraying it down the seatube before now and most of it seemed to accumulate about halfway down !

Is it best decanted into a jar and thinned out a bit first ?

woodsman
    Free Member

jond – Waxoyl does get thin when warm, perhaps keep it in the house for a few days (not near carpet or anything vulnerable to staining). Try and get it in the chainstays and seatstays. If it does accumualte half way down, don't worry, on a hot day it will thin and move around with ease, kind of re-applying itself. That said, obviously be aware that some leakage may occur through seat tube or drain holes on a hot day. Depending on how much you out in, it should be negligeable – you only need a film for protection.

I've been using it for 20 years on these http://www.peterflynnclassiccars.com

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Choices to coat inside of steel frame are…’ is closed to new replies.