Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Choices choices choices HELP Orange owners.
  • batman11
    Free Member

So i’ve just sold of my previous frame and am looking to buy either a orange 5 or the alpine frame set, maxel and new Rp23 shox will also be optioned.
    So which to buy i do mainly trail riding southdowns and 5 plus trips up to wales planned hopefully for next year also im around 17 stone in weight and can ride faily hard downhill ie keeping up with some pretty good downhill racers when on singletrack and welsh trails etc.and up hills well im 17 stoine so plod away quit happily bringing up the rear lol.

So guys which way to go???

Cheers Bats.

z1ppy

The 5 for me, lots & lots of threads discussing this, worth trying to search a couple out.

ton

i am hoping i am back riding in time for the release of the orange full sus 29r.
    i fear i will have to get a big spoon for the humble pie when this time comes.

so i would choose the 5 or wait for the 29r version………… 8)

Blower
    Free Member

alpine

Del

at your weight i’d be inclined to go for the alpine TBH, particularly if you’re looking at using it on uplift days from time to time ( which you don’t mention ). i ride a 5. have tried a couple of alpines very briefly. the first was a guide’s in verbier – set up to be very forgiving, a bike he could pedal all day, but biased towards the DH side of things, which didn’t really suit me. the second belongs to a mate and was set up to be much more ‘sprightly’ – just the way it felt to me, and the best way i can describe it. felt to me like i’d be happy to pedal it around all day.
    very versatile bike, in much the same way the 5 is, but given it’s travel and apparent market i reckon it’d take the beating a bit better.
    just my 2p. nice choice to have!

Northwind

What you describe is pretty much what the Five is designed for… If you want to do more serious descending- alps trips, uplift days, etc- then the Alpine would make more sense

I prefer the Alpine tbh but I wouldn’t get one for the use you describe.

carbon337
    Free Member

I use my five built heavy for DH (inners uplift and hamsterley) plus regular trail centres. Was 15 st but now much lighter. Get the five but add the CCDB as an option.

downs523
    Free Member

I have a 5 but… Im only 10.5 stone…. Sorry to thread hijack but what pressures do ppl recommend for my weight with the fox evolution rear shock and fox 32 float front fork? For riding trail and the odd downhill

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The clue to which one not to buy is in the name. I dont think there’s any alps in sussex is there?

Junkyard
    Free Member

5 no point have a DH bike because you ride Wales 5 times a year.
    If it was all you rode I am still not sure there would be much point tbh

Bagstard
    Free Member

Sounds like you want the 5. Love my alpine, but use it mostly as a mini DH bike, if I did mostly XC I would have a 5.

bigthunder
    Free Member

Go for the alpine 160 with a ccdb. The best all round bike out there. Its going to be yer pal for a good few years so its got a bit more scope if ya want go travel with it. Both are excellant bikes but defo match up with 160forks. The 5am setup with the 160s and ccdb is outstanding.

batman11
    Free Member

Cheers guys well pulled the trigger and went alpine should be here in a few weeks looking very much forward to it getting here.
    Went for it mainly due to wanting to do more trips in the next few years and having sat there on the last two night shifts staring at machines just though blow it i ride 70% hardtail down here and the rest of the time well im big and slow up hill so bring on the downs baby!!!!.

Cheers Guys.

freeride_frankie
    Free Member

I know I’m to late, but I’m drunk so I don’t care!!!
    PATRIOT………… More is more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

grantway
    Free Member

Well I have the 2008 5 AM and to be honest I have been thinking the same over the past two years
    and looks like il be buying a Alpine 160 not that much heavier than the 5 AM

I have also thinking of making a bracket to put a longer rear shock on the
    Orange 5 to increase the rear travel has the frame will take the abuse
    and what I have drawn up WILL work without change of geometry and very easy to make.

But then I want a slacker head angle for the steeper downs, so Alpine 160
    or a newer 5 frame has head angle is slacker with a 160 fork. 😈

In saying that Take a look at Rowan Sorrell on his Silver Bullet

[video]http://video.mpora.com/watch/ToveynN0N/[/video]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Choices choices choices HELP Orange owners.’ is closed to new replies.