Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Choice ? Croix De Fer or Kinesis decade Tripster (both sort of used)
  • roady_tony
    Free Member

Hi All,

I’ve been looking at do-it-all bikes for a while now, and had initially settled on a Tricross Comp but have also fell for the 2 listed above . not quoting new prices for these, but used/2nd hand ones.

I’m torn between the Croix and the Tripster, the croix is steel and will ride so nice and is a prebuilt bike, but, its HEAVY,slow uphill, and i cannot find a frameset for it unless i go new.

The tripster, might be a slightly harsher ride being alu, and i’d have to source all the parts for it except a set of XTR front/rear mechs (which could go on the Croix too i guess)

my primary use will be winter trainer/tourer, with a swap over to cross tyres for the odd landy adventure until it gets drier, then long distance 4wd/landy touring Scottish/Euro trips – tackling some BIG HILLS.

anyone got either, and any thoughts?

Keen also for anyone’s idea’s for rims, light but able to take slate/rock based tracks.

many thanks.

ourmaninthenorth

Planet X Uncle John? Will also take discs, has rack and guard mounts.

Aidy
    Free Member

Owning a CdF, I’m pretty tempted by a Tripster now.

It’s possibly just that the grass is greener on the other side, but having ridden it for a bit now I remain unconvinced by “the superior ride characteristics” of steel, and so it’s just heavy (and that’s after replacing pretty much everything on it with lighter components).

[Edit] It’s by no means a bad bike, it’s just not all I was hoping for. [/Edit]

Aidy
    Free Member

Oh, right. And the CdF is certainly available in a frame-only guise for 2011. Not sure of your chances of finding a used one though (but they’re pretty keenly priced new).

http://www.realcycles.com/products.php?plid=m24b145s277p2545&rs=gb
    http://www.airevalleycycles.com/products.php?plid=m4b97s172p6021&rs=gb

roady_tony
    Free Member

Aidy – yeah thats where i’m thinking i’ll end up too….

Planet X uncle john, thats tempting ourmaninthenorth, might have to google some of that 🙂

xander
    Free Member

Had a CdF. Looks great on paper, but has the density of a black hole. Mine had its own gravitional system, and it was a 2010 version with lighter tubing! I just couldn’t understand how they made it so heavy. Bizzaro.

Looked at Tripster. Funny looking, but I reckon it’s a better bet until something better comes on the market.

pixelmix
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at these options recently too. I think the Decade Tripster is the best option around at the moment, although I think by the time I get one, the prototype On-One Ti Pomp thing will hopefully be in production as another alternative.

I too dismissed the Gensis because of the weight. I believe that the Tricross is a bit weighty too (and has no discs). I previously dismissed the Uncle John, but I can’t remember why. I seem to recall there being an issue with disc brake fitting which was a bit of a faff or something along those lines.

Marin do a CX bike with discs too I believe. I’d be interested to see what you go with once you have finished building it.

Aidy
    Free Member

Mine had its own gravitional system, and it was a 2010 version with lighter tubing! I just couldn’t understand how they made it so heavy. Bizzaro.

Yeah, that’s how I feel. Mine’s a 2010 too.

I was actually so confused by it that I put all the components in a spreadsheet with weights to try and work out exactly how it was so heavy. I still don’t really get it, short of the frame being about 10 pounds.

I’m not really doing the best advert for it, considering I am thinking about selling mine and getting something else 🙂

james-o
    Free Member

ok – the frame is 725 and has to pass CEN. but it’s 0.8/0.5/0.8 tubes, slim stays that are not thick wall etc. it’s got as much metal in the frame as an MTB since it’s a non-compact road frame layout with a decent DT diameter but nothing excessive.

steel cx frames that are CEN level durable will be 4.5-5lbs.

the fork is about 850g. not light buy not heavy for a steel fork at all.

the discs add weight, quite a bit, maybe 1 1/2lbs.

it’s 25lbs complete. so 3-4 more than an equivalent alu / canti CX bike with a carbon fork. i don’t understand why people expect it to be ‘light’? it’s not, but it’s hardly porky for what it’s made up of..

Aidy
    Free Member

it’s 25lbs complete. so 3-4 more than an equivalent alu / canti CX bike with a carbon fork. i don’t understand why people expect it to be ‘light’? it’s not, but it’s hardly porky for what it’s made up of..

Mine’s on about 25lbs now, and I reckon I’ve shaved a good 3-4 lbs from it from stock.

roady_tony
    Free Member

one of the reasons i looked at the Tricross and even though seemed weighty, its wasnt down to the frame (which is a good start) mainly wheels and poor drivetrain specs. plus its been a great Frame for many a year, the older ones had carbon rear stays, but as i said before SO SO RARE!

As much as i like the look of the CdF (and its blurb and reviews) i cannot help feeling that in about 12 months it will be totally superseeded by more frames (disc based) coming onto the market, and for that reason i’m concerned about putting that much money into it (i.e. buy the bike 2nd hand 700+ and replace almost everything with high components to get it to decent weight/performance that i want)

My heads been turned by the Uncle John and researching it this morning…..so i guess i could perhaps rename the thread, Uncle John ‘v’ Tripster ! 🙂

hmmm bike choice…is there anything less easier to choose…oh yeah cars!!!!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Just been through this decision myself, though wanting steel, have gone for a sh Pompetamine and a gear hanger.

James’ weights sound OK – the fork especially is light IMO. I guess folk think a £1K bike should be light.

You don’t IMO get the “ride quality” of any material unless the frame is reasonably light, which seems to be a thing of the past for off-road frames with CEN.

paul78
    Free Member

Only issue I have with my Tripster is the sizing…

… I think I am somewhere between their 54cm and 57cm but settled on the 54cm.. not ridden it much beyond a cross race distance but think for all day rides it would probably cripple me.

ourmaninthenorth

My heads been turned by the Uncle John and researching it this morning

Though i threw it at you, I’d be intrigued to follow your thinking.

Reason is that I want to build a cross bike for racing, but a friend has a fully built Uncle John going for a good price.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking of a similar thing and dismissed the croix de fer as too heavy but i was quite impressed when i tried out this…
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kona/honky-inc-2010-road-bike-ec021790

It felt much lighter than the genesis and seemed pretty well spceced, shimano 105, carbon fork, avid bb-7 for 800 quid. The paint finish looked very nice too although it doesn’t look too great in the pics. The mudguard/rack fittings didn’t look very good unfortunately.

paul78 can i ask how tall you are? I’m in between the 54 and 57 sizes too. Usually ride a 56cm bike.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I looked at both and bought a Cotic >X<. Fancied steel as I like my bikes to last. By which I mean for life and the alloy ones I have ridden seem stiff. Thus I avoided the Kinesis although when I picked it up it was nice and light. The CdF would have done but I wanted to go 10 speed Campag and a Frame wasn’t an option.
    What it bolied dwon to was getting something that I could view first and could get locally. A Singular would have been nice but I had sorted of discounted them as too pricey( My X wasn’t much cheaper though) and sizing was limited.( I wanted a short TT)

cynic-al
    Free Member

OMITN why not a UJ for racing?

euanr
    Free Member

Ok, so it’s not got proper gears or drops but I recently picked up a Charge Mixer in the wiggle sale (40% off!) and I love it.

Sensible rack and mudguard fittings (brake inside the rear triangle, a Tubus Vega fits fine and suits the clean lines of the bike).

It’s very comfy and has handled the potholes of my 7 mile commute fine since I bought it 2 weeks ago.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I don’t suppose anyone knows when the new kaffenback is likely to be on sale?? looks ideal too.

paul78
    Free Member

HoratioHufnagel , i’m 5′ 11″ .. usually ride a 56cm top tube on a road bike.

Ordered and had built a 57cm Tripster and it was huge!! 54cm just feels a little tight but awesome for cross racing.

ourmaninthenorth

OMITN why not a UJ for racing?

Only because it’s not an out-and-out race bike. Some say its front end is too high for racing, and the wheelbase is too long. Prob not an issue for me (I’ll need a small).

Complete bike isn’t going to be a whole lot more than the frame for a Columbus or Zepnat.

I think I’m being picky – I guess there isn’t any need ti stress about having a versatile bike when I already have other versatile bikes…

roady_tony
    Free Member

WOW – that Honky Tonk Inc, is a bit of a bargain!!!!!
    nonononononoooo so do i have to add that to the new list of suspects for my purchase!

As for sizing, i’m 5’11 too, and am too cramped on some road bikes and especially some MTB’s along the top tube, ideally i’d like 55cms, but i usually opt for the standard 54’s and get a long stem or use a layback post to give me space.

i’ll update tomorrow on some thoughts on the Uncle john,

has anyone any links to that new Kaffenback????

thanks for all the great input!

maxray
    Free Member

Well it will be slow up hill if you are yes! 🙂 at 24-25lbs its hardly a porker in the real world especially if you come from a mtb background.

roady_tony
    Free Member

Thats looking very very nice

I notice the rear stays have been beefed up to accomo. the fact it will run discs – wise. When the hell is that due out?!?!?!?

I can imagine there is going to be a whole raft of new frames on the market in the coming year to accommodate discs with the UCI now allowing them in cross races (people from a roady background will herald the miracle that is the stopping power of discs, us MTB’ers will be like “meh, need bigger rota’s “) – some will perform better than others depending on design i’m guessing, but i for one welcome discs with open arms!

Uncle Johns dont get many reviews, nor are there many out there , but, bikeradar seems to like them…

BikeRadar review
    not too heavy a lump to start with either, Frame weight 1820kgs

Now if i can get my hands on one to ride (and that Kono for that matter), but being out here in the sticks of scotland thats tricky….

maxray
    Free Member

not too heavy a lump to start with either, Frame weight 1820kgs

Only 300g lighter than a Croix de fer then! That’s a poo’s difference 😀
    The Kaffenback is really nice looking though.MMMMMMMm

The croix is still a looker tho!

White castle by Sush Kelly, on Flickr

pixelmix
    Free Member

The croix is still a looker tho!

I agree the Croix looks good. Maybe all of the mysterious weight referred to above is in the reflectors?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Croix is 100gm lighter than a Pompino which is currently 40% cheaper if you can deal with the faff of a separate hanger (inc. in price comparison).

GaryLake
    Free Member

Mine’s on about 25lbs now, and I reckon I’ve shaved a good 3-4 lbs from it from stock.

New scales? We had a 56cm at 25lb minus spds so I don’t know where you’re getting 29lbs from!

I’m building a Cotic X up now and that’s going to come in at 22/23lb (it’s 18lb minus the group and at the mo) but it’s got a fancier build and the lighter Tektro brakes, and I expect the carbon forks helps. Steel cross bikes with disc brakes in almost as heavy as smaller wheeled rigid MTB shocker! 😉

maxray
    Free Member

Maybe all of the mysterious weight referred to above is in the reflectors?

😆

Been toying with removing them but as I use it for commuting too I quite like their reflective properties….
    ….
    ……goes off to remove them 😳 theres another 20g saved! it’ll blow away at this rate! 🙂

I believe the older frames were quite a bit heavier than the 2010-11 ones?

pdw
    Free Member

I’ve just switched to commuting on a Tripster this week, having retired the old steel road bike that I’ve used for the last 7 years.

I certainly wouldn’t say the ride is too harsh – the carbon fork has plenty of spring in it. I went for the Tripster as it had rack, disc brake and mudguard mounts, and some thought has been given to how you might actually use all three at the same time.

I’m 6’0 and went for the 60cm, on the basis that the key dimensions seemed closest to my other road bikes. It doesn’t feel too big, but the bars are a little bit higher than I’m used to, even mounted as low as possible on a -10 degree stem.

I can’t really comment on the handling, as I’ve also made the switch to using panniers rather than a rucksack, which has quite a big impact on handling.

Aidy
    Free Member

New scales? We had a 56cm at 25lb minus spds so I don’t know where you’re getting 29lbs from!

Yeah, me neither. It’s not the scales at fault, though.

When summer comes (so the summer bike can come out to play, and I don’t need it as a daily commuter), I think I’m going to strip it down and weigh the frame alone.

I do wonder if I’ve got a especially heavy one. I’m pretty convinced the bike shouldn’t weigh as much as it does.

spacemonkey

Pardon me for hijacking, but Ourmaninthenorth, what spec/size is your friend’s Uncle John? TVM

ourmaninthenorth

Pardon me for hijacking, but Ourmaninthenorth, what spec/size is your friend’s Uncle John? TVM

Details here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Planet-X-Uncle-John-CX-Bike-52cm-/150545970308?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item230d3d3484

I’m going to be moving house soon, so am going to pass on it.

There’s another on ebay – medium, I think.

roady_tony
    Free Member

most used X’s ive seen since yesterday (even old google cached ones) dont seem to have discs, and so the front fork would need replacing to gain the disc mount.

spacemonkey

I’m going to be moving house soon, so am going to pass on it.

There’s another on ebay – medium, I think.

Arse! I really want one of those now but will have to shrink myself in the wash, else ride it like a BMX with my knees under my chin.

Has to be 60 or so for me. Cheers anyway.

roady_tony
    Free Member

the more i think about it and look around, its down to the Uncle John or the Kenesis Decade, for current bikes, then i think about the potential for all the new bikes coming in with disc compatibility and it might be better to wait and see…?

Most certainly for the CdF, its a lovely bike, and i like it a lot, for over 1000 new though you expect something a bit lighter and i would say a bit more spec….

as an aside…. anyone looked at a hardtail 29er with 700c disc wheels? what kind of cheap build could that be???? i know nothing of 29er frames to be honest…

chocolatehobdobs
    Free Member

I found these the other day…
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/origin8-pro-pulsion-road-ends-drop-bar-bar-ends-black-prod18606/

Bar ends in the shape of drop bars! wierd. Maybe you could try that!?

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Choice ? Croix De Fer or Kinesis decade Tripster (both sort of used)’ is closed to new replies.