Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Chloe Smith on Newsnight
  • ComradeD
    Free Member

7mins 50s in

Reminded me of “The think of it”

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01k9ptr/Newsnight_26_06_2012/

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Nice link as I missed that last night. Well done Paxo, he correctly gave CS a complete grilling there. Her wounded, then aggressive posturing was absurd…..and so “Westminster Village! ” Compelling, uncomfortable and ultimately disturbing to watch these people in action. And they run our country?

loum
    Free Member

That is worth watching.
    Good link, well worth 8 mins of anyone’s time.
    Thanks.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Up there with Michael Howard!

Woody
    Free Member

Thanks for that.

Compelling, uncomfortable and ultimately disturbing to watch these people in action

I would also add extremely annoying 👿

IanMunro
    Free Member

Class!
    I’d love to see the footage of Malcom Tucker before and after that interview.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

And Paxo’s final question……..!!!!

Perhaps one BBC high flyer who is worth his salary…ok, that’s taking things too far. But great to watch him on a roll with a hapless and helpless politician/treasury official spouting BS. The body language experts would have a field day with the eye movements, the water crutch and the attempts to fight out of a corner. Almost political comedy.

martinhutch

She took one for Osborne there. Was never going to be pretty.

The sad thing is that she didn’t have to get all bogged down in when she heard, or where the money was coming from. So what if she only heard the final decision today?

Video not entirely SFW due to sweariness…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6phFQENkpII[/video]

Sandwich

A future training aid for image consultants. How not to appear on TV.

loum
    Free Member

Youtube link, if it makes it easier to view for some. Interview starts at 6:17 on this link

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bddWaHuxTzc&feature=player_detailpage#t=378s[/video]

thegreatape
    Free Member

Tommy Squeaker at 10:45

kimbers

the anti-toff, pro-life go to tory with a chip on her shoulder has been sounding off about it….

George Osborne ‘a coward’ for making Chloe Smith defend fuel U-turn

new series of the Thick Of It Soon, i hope iannucci gets a reference to this in!

philconsequence
    Free Member

lol at the background image of georgy grinning through the whole interview!

Klunk
    Free Member

LOL @ omnishambles

SamCooke
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFELLK8htKM[/video]

this is nice too

giantonagiant

Paxo in full flow is always good value, whoever the victim!!

😆

Pigface
    Free Member

Wow she took that beating pretty well, Paxmans ego is getting out of control though.

Doing a number on Howard was great that one was a bit like Gripper Stebson getting dinner money out of the ginger kid (apologies to ginger kids) he seems to have lost all subtlety.

hjghg5
    Free Member

I really must watch this – I vaguely knew Chloe Smith when I went to university (we weren’t at the same university, but we had a mutual acquaintance and one weekend she ended up sleeping on my floor). I think I’m going to enjoy watching her get a grilling.

Coyote
    Free Member

Hmmm… On the one hand I feel quite sorry for her in that she was rolled out by the cowardly Gidiot to face the press in his place when she was so obviously out of her depth.

On the other hand I feel quite angry that an incompetent shower like her has any degree of control over my life.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Wow she took that beating pretty well, Paxmans ego is getting out of control though.

I agree.

Still not sure where the anger is here – assuming it’s not all some fantastical ruse to confuse, make the assumption that they’ve identified an excess in a few budgets and decided to postpone the increase for a while to help out – how is that a bad thing? It doesn’t mean there’s any great shift in plan or that the world is falling apart. I don’t see why it’s a sign of incompetence, and I don’t see the relevance of the point at which the person was told of it. I can quite easily see this being mooted at a table some months ago as a possibility and then one morning someone being given the go-ahead to announce it as the numbers have been checked out.

But don’t let that get in the way of a good anti-tory bashing.

CountZero

As coffeeking; Labour were apparently asking for the fuel price raise to be withdrawn, (despite their refusal to do the same when in power), then that fatuous oaf Balls sneering because the government took notice of concerns and did as asked. Listening and acting sounds like democracy to me.

rickmeister

I dont feel sorry for any politician that goes up in front of Paxo, or the team from Radio 4’s today programme for example.

Its well known they are robust interviewers, its well known they are dogmatic in their approach and its well known they pursue straight answers with BS detectors on stun.

The politicians should do like the interviewers seem to have done and know their stuff and be properly prepared.

The end.

coffeeking
    Free Member

The politicians should do like the interviewers seem to have done and know their stuff and be properly prepared.

One assumes they did, though the answers were selective it doesn’t mean they don’t know the answers. If you asked about how a business does it’s business they’d probably not tell you the ins and outs of their board room either, especially when it doesn’t make any difference to the outcome.

Pigface
    Free Member

Why cant Paxman be so belligerent with call me Dave or Gideon?

IanMunro
    Free Member

Still not sure where the anger is here – assuming it’s not all some fantastical ruse to confuse, make the assumption that they’ve identified an excess in a few budgets and decided to postpone the increase for a while to help out – how is that a bad thing? It doesn’t mean there’s any great shift in plan or that the world is falling apart. I don’t see why it’s a sign of incompetence, and I don’t see the relevance of the point at which the person was told of it. I can quite easily see this being mooted at a table some months ago as a possibility and then one morning someone being given the go-ahead to announce it as the numbers have been checked out.
    But don’t let that get in the way of a good anti-tory bashing.

I don’t think it’s particularly anti-Tory, for me anyway it’s the comical trying to pretend that they’re all (of any party) in the loop when they aren’t.

bauchlebastart
    Free Member

The poor girl was thrown to the lions and showed herself either ill-prepared or incapable to deal a heavy hitter like Paxman. It does show the competence required of those politicians that can talk around him. Osborne not man enough to defend his policy U turn himself

Northwind

Honestly I thought she did very well- I’m assuming, here, that she was given a list of things she could and couldn’t say. And if that’s right, well, she stayed on course despite taking an absolute kicking. Failure would have been getting angry, or giving paxman what he wanted when she wasn’t supposed to, in those terms…

Particularily liked the bit where Paxman says “When did you change your mind”, and she just says “Go on” rather than walk into the trap. Well played.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Shouldn’t Ed Balls have been on as well? By all accounts it was HIS policy after all!

lodious
    Free Member

Why cant Paxman be so belligerent with call me Dave or Gideon?

Because he’s a bully, plain and simple.

He’s passed his sell by date…i’m sick of his pointless point scoring, he’s viewed as someone how brings the politicians to account, but he’s becoming part of the reason the politicians are all cynical careerists’.

kimbers

paxman is what he is, every politician knows it
    she knew what she was getting into and gideon knew too, which is why he was at a party (although he claimed he was at the HOP)
    Cant feel any sympathy for her, a fresh young face, perhaps, but just as much a career politicians as the rest of them,she took one for the team, handled it as best she could and CMD/gideon owes her a favour now. Another boost up the greasy pole for ms smith.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALNjevGdB5g&feature=player_embedded[/video]

coffeeking
    Free Member

Because he’s a bully, plain and simple.

He’s passed his sell by date…i’m sick of his pointless point scoring, he’s viewed as someone how brings the politicians to account, but he’s becoming part of the reason the politicians are all cynical careerists’.

Inclined to agree, childish snipes while people are talking or just before the end of the interview. All a bit pathetic.

The poor girl was thrown to the lions and showed herself either ill-prepared or incapable to deal a heavy hitter like Paxman. It does show the competence required of those politicians that can talk around him. Osborne not man enough to defend his policy U turn himself

I think she was well prepared. She didn’t have all of the answers (or did but didn’t want to admit them) but she held her own and never came across as flustered by his childish MO. She deflected the questions quite well. If she’d answered with “no, I only found out this morning for definite” it would be used against her despite being a perfectly reasonable answer.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Lodious, well put.

kimbers

you see thats what she wants you to think- the poor girl (and therfore the government) was the victim of bullying by the evil paxo
    why else did they put up such a lightweight?

rather than the truth- caught out lying and unable to defend another spineless u-turn after a another pr balls up and being wrongfooted by balls (ed) the entire thing another legacy of the omnishables budget

PJM1974
    Free Member

Of course it was all about “families and businesses”. That’s identikit spiel very similar to the sort spouted by Harmarrhoid on Question Time when Labour were about to be shafted in 2010. They’ve suddenly “found” money at a time when they’re borrowing unexpectedly spikes? Morons.

That said, Paxo was being a colossal bully. I’d far rather see him roast Cameron or Osborne than some ill briefed political robot at the very start of her career.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I agree that Paxo is half way up his own whatsit a lot of the time, but on the whole I can forgive him. Why should it be tolerated for politicians who are serving us to be allowed to lie or mislead. If it takes people like him and Humphries to call them to account then I can tolerate their egos getting in the way at times. Politicians should remember that they are civil not self servants.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yup.

Everyone whines on about the ministers but as soon as Paxo grills a junior he’s the bad boy.

She signed up for it, without questioning like Paxman’s we’d find out even less about this shower.

Woody
    Free Member

…….than some ill briefed political robot at the very start of her career

Having had a quick look at her ‘career’ in Wiki I find it astonishing that someone can go from reading English literature, to being a management consultant with a rather large firm, to being appointed a Treasury Minister, in such a staggeringly short space of time, with next to bugger all experience or training for the job in hand.

Is it any wonder things are in such a mess 👿

brakes
    Free Member

that interview served no real purpose whatsoever.
    waste of airtime really.
    just a bit of political new miss fancypants exposure and can-carrying.
    definitely a Westminster Village ponce-around and nothing to do with ‘homes and businesses’

Junkyard
    Free Member

I find it astonishing that someone can go from reading English literature, to being a management consultant with a rather large firm

i found it amasing you could have a degree in English literature and then go straight into a management consultant role tbh never mind the rest

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Chloe Smith on Newsnight’ is closed to new replies.