Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Chivas Regal or Monkey Shoulder?
  • the-muffin-man

We’re having a party on Saturday night and no doubt the whisky will be coming out towards the end of the night.

My best whisky will be hidden away(!), so out of the two options mentioned which would you go for as a cheapish whisky?

Or any other recommendation that can be pick up in a supermarket.

Ta!

Cougar

Monkey Shoulder.

Other supermarket whiskies worth a punt; Jura, Glenmorangie, Highland Park… but don’t you know all this already if you have ‘best’ whisky?

trail_rat
    Free Member

neither.

monkeys shoulder if i had to choose – chivas seemd to have metalic aftertaste when ever i have it … its always in stock at my parents as my mum used to make the boxes for chivas bro’s

id just buy a young light whisky that most folk will be able to stomach.- based on what asda are doing on special atm id look at the aberlour 12 or the glenlivet 12 – both cost less than monkeys shoulder and both imo are a much nicer drinking whisky. ( but thats my opinion and although i like a good malt im just as happy drinking grouse in the pubs in town on a night out as i feel its a waste to drink good malts when drunk 😀 )

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    BoardinBob

As above, monkey shoulder is quite expensive for a blend. You can always find a cheaper malt on a deal. Lidl’s malt is actually very nice. I’m sure it’s an 18yo speyside.

Ballantines is probably my favourite reasonably priced blend but it’s actually hard to find in Scotland, though very popular overseas.

Cougar

I once got an own-brand bourbon from, er, either Lidl or Aldi, I forget which now. Cost about £7 IIRC. After tasting it, I decided the best use of it would be to clean paint brushes.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Get the Chivas Regal, it should easily last many years.

trail_rat
    Free Member

im sure the aldi malt is what evers going cheap to them…..

ive had 2 bottles – first was very good and bought during a love in on here . , second was an entirely different whisky bought when the first was finished.

it wasnt “bad” but i didnt bother with any more – i like to know what im buying.

how ever aldis specially selected irish cream liquer “baileys” is nice for 7 quid – i cant tell the difference , although im not a big baileys drinker….

BoardinBob

I once got an own-brand bourbon from, er, either Lidl or Aldi, I forget which now. Cost about £7 IIRC. After tasting it, I decided the best use of it would be to clean paint brushes.

In the case of their malt, they bought up the stock of a defunct Speyside distillery

http://www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31

SamB
    Free Member

Agree with the above – Monkey Shoulder is very run-of-the-mill, you can do better for £30. Not tried the Chivas.

I’d go for a Jura or maybe a Talisker Stormy if it’s on offer anywhere (but then I prefer the more peaty end of things).

Xylene
    Free Member

Is it the 21 gun salute? That is quite nice for a Chivas

maccruiskeen

im sure the aldi malt is what evers going cheap to them…..

Same is true of any of the supermarket own brands. Making whisky is bit more hit and miss than the distilleries would like to admit. You have a brand which you associate with a particular flavour but only about 1 in 10 barrels will turn out as you hoped. They might not be bad, they just won’t be what your brand has been built on. Those near misses can go out as supermarket own-brands but of course the barrels are all a bit different so you’re not going to be able to become a staunch fan of Glentesco or BruichLidl because theres no continuity so you’re not really likely to get two bottles the same from one year to the next.

trail_rat
    Free Member

yep that was exactly my point.

its a disposal for what the distillerys feel they cant sell under their own name.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

The Aldi (Glen Monarch) malts especially the 18year old seem to get rather good reviews. I had the 10 or 12 a year or so ago which was quite nice albeit a little peaty for my tastes.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I like Black Grouse, nice bit of peaty smoke in it and for only £16 can’t go wrong!

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Glentesco or BruichLidl

😀

munrobiker
    Free Member

Jura Superstition and Jura Origin are £25 at Asda at the minute, does that sound reasonable?

Of your choices I’d go Monkey Shoulder, which is actually quite nice, but a Jura will be popular with everyone and if they don’t know their whisky as it’s a single malt they’ll not think you’re a tight bastard.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Chivas Regal or Monkey Shoulder?’ is closed to new replies.