Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Chips on steel frames…
  • ratherbeintobago

What do people do about these? If I leave them alone, will they go rusty?

chiefgrooveguru

Most bike frames are of pretty corrosion resistant steel, so there’ll be superficial rust but little chance of structural issues.

honourablegeorge

I read that as “Chipps On Steel Frames”

I was expecting six or seven paragraphs of amusing ramblings on the joys of skinny-tubed hardtails

solarider
    Free Member

I was always paranoid about exposed steel, but having just bought a 25 years old chromoly Kona as a pub/baby seat bike, I have to say I don’t know why I was so worried. It has plenty of chips, and none have rusted or affected the strength of the bike.

Aesthetically, a bit of touch up paint or matching nail polish wouldn’t go amiss, or at least some clear lacquer to stop the air and moisture getting to the bare metal.

Of course, it is always better to treat them and protect them than leave them to rust, but seemingly not anything to panic about, and there is a strange karma to accepting scars and marks as part of the bike’s patina. Admittedly not a karma that I find it easy to live with on my newer bikes, but the Kona is none the worse for it.

What you do need to be more careful of is long term rot from within if pools of water and dirt collect at the bottom of tubes (particularly around the bb shell/seat tube junction. Definitely get some Weigle’s Framesaver in there.

ratherbeintobago

least some clear lacquer to stop the air and moisture getting to the bare metal.

Funnily enough, I bought a bottle of Humbrol lacquer for just this use, but was wondering if I was being paranoid.

chiefgrooveguru

I read that as “Chipps On Steel Frames”

I was expecting six or seven paragraphs of amusing ramblings on the joys of skinny-tubed hardtails

Ditto.

amedias
    Free Member

will they go rusty?

yes, but it’ll be fine 😉

Rat Rod Kona

tomd
    Free Member

Most bike frames are of pretty corrosion resistant steel, so there’ll be superficial rust but little chance of structural issues.

This is my experience from a few steel frames. Even with paint missing all you get is very light surface rust. I might bother if it was a winter road bike and getting covered in salt.

MoreCashThanDash

No problem unless the corrosive vinegar and salt mixture gets into the welds.

I usually get off the bike before eating them anyway.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Chips on steel frames…’ is closed to new replies.