Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Chipping a turbo diesel?
  • benz
    Free Member

So, mate got his Audi a new map from Superchips. Holy torque output! So so easy to drive.

Is there a point in a cars life where it would be ill-advised to add a bit more bhp and torque?

Car I have in mind has just hit 75k, FSH and 5 years old. Clutch, gearbox, etc?

Circa 25% more bhp and torque, but torque peak lower down rev range.

somouk
    Free Member

I’ve mapped most of my turbo diesels in one way or another and never had any real problems with them.

So long as the car is serviced properly and not ragged on the red line all the time then you should be fine.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

how does it work?, can you get fuel economy chip as well??

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    somouk
    Free Member

how does it work?, can you get fuel economy chip as well??

Depending on how clever the engine is normally on a turbo diesel it simply ups the fuelling and the boost pressure.

Some fancy rolling road tunes can do other things to do with compression of fuel etc but most are simple.

You can get a fuel chip for most cars but I’ve seen better MPG with the performance maps on, the increase in torque normally means you’re in a higher gear to cruise so using less fuel. My old 130 TDI Bora use to cruise along in 6th at 70 doing 75 MPG with a map on it.

stumpy01

Think it depends on the car & the map.

I ummmmed & aaaaahheedd about it for ages on my Ibiza TDi 130. Most maps for it whack it up to 170-180bhp and most people report no issues. But there are people who report clutch slip issues, and end up spanking a load of money on a new clutch not long after.
    From memory, several people reckoned the Revo map was too ‘sharp’ and didn’t do the car much good.

There is also the issue of a potential hike in insurance & increased tyre wear.

Northwind

I got a custom map on mine, wasn’t significantly more expensive than a bluefin and was tweaked for the car’s other mods and, er, general creakiness. Though, the price was reduced as they had a baseline map for the model to work from, I think a totally new map would have been more expensive.

End result- better “feel”, the car was very wooly down low before. Fuel economy was a little improved, though realistically the running cost saving will take years to balance the cost of the map. Power- can’t say what was from the map and what was from the other tweaks, and what was both, but it drove away faster than it drove in.

Worth it? I think so, but I like driving. I don’t think it’d be worth it just for the economy boost unless you’re doing high miles, for me it’s just a couple of mpg. Car is on 105000 miles, rattles like it’s full of rocks, on original clutch and DMF (probably not for much longer!) and is none the worse for it all.

Only downside is the cost, er, and the fact that having it drive nicer means I use the right foot more.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Chipping a turbo diesel?’ is closed to new replies.