Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Chipped Windscreen – Autoglass or Others?
  • bubs

Our little car received a nasty hole shaped chip in the windscreen this evening whilst I was driving it (odd as no other car was around to kick up a stone, it is pellet sized chip and central to the driver).
    We only have TPFT for this car and so our insurance does not cover it.
    Is Autoglass the option or are there any better alternatives? Now the windscreen has the chip I assume it is more likely to fail spectacularly from frost / pothole impacts and so shouldn’t be driven around too much?

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

It shouldn’t fail spectacularly but could start to crack which means new windscreen. (Which does count on your insurance if you claim as I discovered last year). Halfords now repair chips while you wait. I bought a windscreen repair kit from Halfords and did it myself. Lasted 6 months so far with no issues.

mattbee

Cost me £60 to get a chip filled by Autoglass in a Tesco car park when I’d already had a replacement screen under insurance so it wasn’t covered.

kormoran
    Free Member

I had a pretty nasty chip at the base of my screen for years, it never got any worse though. I think in the end I stuck one of those free autoglass clear plasters over it. Basically a helitape circle

bensales
    Free Member

Autoglass replaced my screen last week. I was pretty nervous as it’s a brand new car, with a heated screen, several cameras etc.

But it’s perfect. You’d never know it was changed. OEM Jaguar glass was used as well, although mine was an insurance claim.

It was fitted by a chap called Lee working at the Autoglass depot in Birmingham. Couldn’t do it mobile because of the bad weather.

bubs

Autoglass quoted £135! Local Halfords won’t/can’t do it. Kit time I guess…how hard can it be.

devash
    Free Member

Those kits are pretty decent. My girlfriend’s car got a nasty chip when we lived in Italy and I think we paid something like €10 for a do-it-yourself kit. When she got her MOT done they said it was all good.

revs1972
    Free Member

Kits are fairly easy to use. If you read the blurb on the packet, you would expect to have an invisible repair. It was still obviously visible , but it was filled and had no further issues with it

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Chipped Windscreen – Autoglass or Others?’ is closed to new replies.