Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Chipped Windscreen- again :(
  • Ambrose

I’m a bit miffed! For the second time in 6 months my windscreen has been damaged. The first time resulted in an insurance replacement via Autoglass. This time it is just a chip, not a massive crack like previously so I’m hoping that a repair is possible. Before I ask my insurers I’m keen to know real prices, information etc. I don’t want to let the insurers know yet because the last time I mentioned damage to my car they hoiked my premium even though I didn’t make a claim! I’m not keen to repeat that mistake again.

Has anyone had a chip sucessfully repaired? How much? Cheers

Ambrose

Cougar

According to the adverts I hear on the radio six times an hour, a repair is usually free and you don’t have to deal with the insurers.

sandwicheater

Had my chip done for free. Just called autoglass and insurer never got involved (well, I’m sure they paid something).

khani
    Free Member

Chip repair is free as said above ^^^ and a glass claim doesn’t affect your no claims normally, I once had two screens and a chip repair in one year and my insurance didn’t go up…
    Edit, I had to give the repairer my policy number but didn’t have to deal with them myself, the repairer did all that.

nealglover
    Free Member

I got mine done last year in a shopping centre car park.
    There was a little marquee there and he’s there most days, I’m sure there is something similar near you.
    Showed the guy the insurance details and it was done when I came back out again.
    No increase in premium.

kevster
    Free Member

Yes, call autoglass, no need to deal with insurers, they can do chips up to the size of a £2 coin. Always been smooth process in past. I seem to have no end of chips though, recent one was 20mm plus chip on a 1 week old screen, was not happy!

cp

Or it’s entirely possible your insurer can arrange it all as well – when mine got a little crack, just phoned up insurer at 9pm and then at 10am the next day an AA windscreen fella turned up at work to repair it.

No effect on no claims, no excess etc…

bazookajoe
    Free Member

I got a kit from Halfords and did it myself, worked a treat.

Drac

Apparently.

Autoglass repair, Autoglass replace.

boblo
    Free Member

Are the chips visible once they’ve been repaired?

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Usually visible. Repair is usually about stopping propagation.

SaxonRider

Back in the old days, we used to use superglue. The chip was still visible as you would expect, but the glue stopped it from spreading.

hora
    Free Member

Lets talk about prevention.

Dont follow cars/tailgate. Open-topped salvage trucks? Hang back then squirt past fast in another lane. I.e in slow lane? You use the fast lane. Stones arc off a car etc only for so long. Gritting truck? Again add an extra lane or squirt past fast.

It only happens to closely following vehicles imo.

footflaps

or someone overtakes you on a B-road and kicks up a stone.

hora
    Free Member

Are you a man? No car overtakes a man. Like lovemaking, no one can question a mans driving prowess 😉 8)

onehundredthidiot

Hora, god forbid that one argue with such definitive advice but I’ve had my windscreen chipped twice in 6 months. Once by a T5 coming the other way dropping some debris off the wheel arch kicking up a sizable stone and smacking the screen right in front of the passenger’s head. The second being from a midlothian gritter coming in the other direction causing bonnet chips and a windscreen chip.
    Of course I shouldn’t follow these vehicles too closely………in the opposite direction.

Also you most definitely missed the “h”

hora
    Free Member

Unlucky then? I’ve never had one in circa 140k miles.

scaredypants

Fix it soon (IME)

I got a chip in the screen of my new car after 20 miles

by the time I got to the next motorway junction there was a 2 foot crack in the shitty thing. Big glass area seems to = easy progression of a crack

mrmo
    Free Member

Are you a man? No car overtakes a man. Like lovemaking, no one can question a mans driving prowess

mine was a truck coming towards me ripping a chunk of loose tarmac off the road and throwing it into the air, windscreen stopped it hitting me…. BIG crack as a result though.

hora
    Free Member

Misquote

cheers_drive

My windscreen has about 20 small to medium chips on it. Most were there when I got the car 2 years ago and have been repaired but there are still a few rough bits. I reckon that’s why my wipers don’t last long.
    Chips catch the sun when its low too. Hopefully one of them will crack (not catastrophically) so it will get replaced.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Chipped Windscreen- again :(’ is closed to new replies.