Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Chinese lights hmmm
  • bikeind
    Free Member

I can see why they are so cheap they last a month or two and then they’re kaput!

That’s why I only stick with my Exposures
    Or Hope

Stay safe and use the proper brands please

gab344
    Free Member

Unlucky matey. I have x3 cheap Chinese of various types all still going strong, the oldest:- a P7 DX light is over 3 years old!

cp

I have 3 at 3,2 and 1 years old. Regular use over winter, neglected over summer. They still work perfectly and the oldest still has most of its original burn time.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

^^^+1^^^
    Six sets in the family, all working perfectly, oldest 3 yrs in Nov, none cost more than £23.

dawson

@bikeind – are you a trader that only sells high end lights?

mattbee

2 year old Chinese thing working well, 2 year old Joystick keeps changing power level of its own accord.

felt
    Free Member

Mine make the trail “come alive” 😆

heavyman
    Free Member

Bought low and mid price lights from UK and have 1 still working out of 7 in the last 4 years so lights in this country are not reliable IMHO. Most the lights bought here were probably made in China or Taiwan anyway!

khani
    Free Member

Even if they are more unreliable, £25ish every six to twelve months Is easier to manage for most people than two to eight hundred quid in one pop..
    And from what I’ve seen even expensive lights break..

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Not sure if trolling!!

I’ve got several sets all years old, all going strong. Hope are great if you want to spend 300 quid!

ron70
    Free Member

Yep I have a an old p7 light from 4 years ago still going strong, a few xml lights that are 2 years old still going strong, and because they’re so cheap I even bought a couple of the solar storms, which are unbelievably good for the money! Tbh you have to be pretty stupid to spend more than £50 on a light set these days. 8)

singlespeedstu

I only use 650b lights these days.
    They make the dark feel alive.

momo

singlespeedstu – Member
    I only use 650b lights these days.
    They make the dark feel alive.

Which is why I’m sticking to 26″ ones, I get scared when the dark feels alive!!

ross980
    Free Member

As above, does it really matter if cheap lights only last a year when they’re a fraction of the cost of high end lights? Both my sets are going strong, but if one goes caput on a ride I still have the other as back up ( bar mounted P7, helmet mounted T6).
    I’d rather have 2x Exposures but just can’t justify the cost for the limited use they’d get. If someone were to bring out a cheap wire-free Exposure ‘clone’ I’d be very tempted. Personally if I was spending £££ on premium lights I wouldn’t want separate head unit/battery packs (though I appreciate some people do 4+ hr plus night rides and may want to carry spare batteries)

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

That’s why I only stick with my Exposures
    Or Hope

So you’re commenting on a product you’ve never used in terms of reliability?

obelix
    Free Member

My thoughts too

jamj1974

Bikeinds post are getting a little tiresome… All very well having a viewpoint and fine if you also have a business – not sure I like the potential for mixing the two. People like Loco et al I don’t have a problem with (in fact to the contrary I think they are great), they don’t seem to start threads for sales and give great advice for free.

Mintman
    Free Member

Or a Chinese light trader using the forum to prove the quality is better than it used to be. 😕

(Dons tin foil hat to avoid double bluff scenarios).

Superficial
    Free Member

People aren’t stupid. They’re not going to use expensive lights because ‘the Bike Industry’ says they should. Remember a lot of riders (me included) are irritated about the way that wheel size change has been forced upon us, and are a lot less inclined to support the ‘conventional’ industry channels than a few years ago.

My Chinese lights are fantastic, btw. If they ever do break I’ll buy some more and I’ll still have spent less than half as much as a useable set from UK sellers.

scotroutes

Really?

Jamie
    Free Member

Really?

Innit.

It’s beyond parody now, and yet people still bite.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Not sure this is a troll but someone not happy who works or owns a shop and cant compete.

sprocker
    Free Member

I had far more issues with my hope ones than my 20 quid Chinese jobs

teethgrinder

Can you get’enduro specific’ lights?
    Preferably expensive.

felt
    Free Member

So we had the “wheel size, trail come alive post” and now the “Chinese lights” post, I wonder what will be next from bikeind? 🙄

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

My Chinese lights have been brilliant. No exploding batteries here. My only failure is a 4 year P7 which is now about as bright as a birthday cake candle.

Great food, cheap lights. What’s not to like about the Chinese!

butcher

To be fair, I’ve bought 3 Chinese lights so far. One lasted six months before it started randomly switching off. One never worked out of the box. The other is still running OK.

I’ve also had two chargers. The first one blew up.

I’d still buy them. Especially now I have charger and batteries. Purely because of their affordability. You don’t always have a couple of hundred quid to pull out of your pocket. And when there’s a valid alternative for a tenner…well it’s hard not to be tempted. But, at the same time, when riding fast in the pitch black, reliability is pretty important…

reggiegasket
    Free Member

clearly none of you have studied statistics….

jamj1974

I’ve bought a couple of the ‘900’ lumen CandB seen torches with handlebar mounts. They seem pretty bright and certainly good enough for the dark evening-early morning towpath and cycle path runs that I fit in around ‘proper’ rides.

Anyone got experience of this model in particular?

Drac

“88.2% of Statistics are made up on the spot”

cruzcampo
    Free Member

felt – Member
    So we had the “wheel size, trail come alive post” and now the “Chinese lights” post, I wonder what will be next from bikeind?

I heard the next big thing is going out in the dark, with your £300 Hopes, without the battery, chainless. Thats what I heard 😆 😛

khani
    Free Member

Naaa, the next big thing is going out without a bike, just some handlebars and a helmet light..
    But you’ll need specific grips to do it..

ross980
    Free Member

Really?

cruzcampo
    Free Member

khani – Member
    Naaa, the next big thing is going out without a bike, just some handlebars and a helmet light..
    But you’ll need specific grips to do it..

Genuine close encounter with coffee and keyboard 😆

heavyman
    Free Member

I’ve seen the light and gonna buy a Chinese, no not chicken foo yueng bt some lights, any recommendations on which model to get, brighter the better???

adjustablewench
    Free Member

bikeind!? – is the clue in the name . . . maybe the OP is the voice of the bike industry . . . would check their other posts to see if they are all 650b related . . . .if i could be bothered

Chinese lights around here as they give most lumens for least money and i really can’t afford to kit the whole family out at exposure prices

antares
    Free Member

Can’t go wrong with these Heavyman http://bit.ly/W3Kksf

Northwind

One of my MJ872s is now 3 years old I think, the other a year, both been used more than most. If I’d bought a Hope (one Hope, because that’d still cost more than both of my equivalent/slightly superior lights), it’d probably have broken its cable by now.

People buy the cheapest of tat and are surprised when it’s cheap tat but the chinese lights cover almost all the bases that expensive lights do, and more. If you wrote Lupine on the side of a Fluxient or similiar people’d happily several times more (and weirdly they’d also stop complaining about the absolutely identical mounts- it seems to be OK to use that sustem on a £300 light but not a £20 light)

I wonder why Bikeind would want people to buy expensive lights? It is a mystery.

carlosg
    Free Member

My oldest P7 light is nearly 5 years old , the battery only lasts an hour on full power but on half still works ok for nearly 3. There’s just no good reason I can think of to spend £200+ on a high end light.

aa
    Free Member

i’ve had a bad chinese light and an exposure joystick that performs faultlessly.

The facts are clear……. 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Chinese lights hmmm’ is closed to new replies.