Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Chinese lanterns (rantette)
  • Bunnyhop

Those awful things that give so much pleasure to so few, have, after the Christmas and New year festivities managed to litter up our local countryside and parks.

Manchester is our nearest city and the prevailing wind had driven these lanterns out toward the Peak district. On the last 3 outings (riding and walking) I’ve counted at least 36, all in trees, on frozen canals/ponds, in fields and hedges.

They may damage farm stock and wild animals too.

So please as lovers of the countryside, discourage the purchase and use.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

And from the sea, they look like distress flares

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Indeed. Spiteful things. I had to restrain myself at a friend’s wedding recently as the bride proudly announced we were all to retire to the garden to launch the effing things.

I instead retired to the bar for a few.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I had to restrain myself at a friend’s wedding recently as the bride proudly announced we were all to retire to the garden to launch the effing things

It’s the most unsatisfying and indeed unedifying end to an evening. mrs deadly had to make me promise not to say anything at the last wedding. **** things!!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Darcy, we must stop agreeing like this, people will talk….

😉

Bunnyhop

Were you two both at the same wedding, but didn’t realise? 😆

King-ocelot
    Free Member

A friend sells them in her shop. I told her to get rid of her stock for the reasons mentioned above. Can’t see the attraction either, it’s not like they even look nice. I have to admit I set a few off once with a mate on his dads farm, then used them for target practice with an air rifle, 4 good hits and you can bring them down.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Were you two both at the same wedding, but didn’t realise?

Darcy looks great in white tie, I can assure you.

simonm
    Free Member

they will be banned soon.

On NYE, sat in our front room at midnight, one appeared in our back garden, swirled around a bit with flames spewing out then crept over the fence, flew at 90 degrees into our tree and caught fire ! soon went out, part of its still sat there. Do they decompose pretty quickly ? just tissue and bamboo ?

When you looked out across sheffield on NYE there were hundreds flying sideways due to the high winds.. as it doesnt say on the packet only release in light winds !

Pook

The Bolehills in Sheffield was being used as target practice by Stannington, Malin Bridge and Hillsborough on NYE. I saw one take someone’s aerial out.

We were on there watching the fireworks and we had to keep dodging!

wrightyson
    Free Member

We recently had a massive red love heart shape one land in our garden, the mrs thought it was all romantic!! So as it hadn’t burnt out properly I set about resuming it’s flight, first aid kit out, eye patch with bandage soon attached and dosed up with bar b lighter fuel! Fired her up and all was good for about 5 seconds, just about to lift off tilted over caught fire and burnt a big brown patch on my lawn! Romantic my arse!!!

toys19
    Free Member

Were you two both at the same wedding, but didn’t realise?

Sound slike they are marriede to each other and don’t realise. Who’s the giver?

Xylene
    Free Member

Cause untold number of fires in Thailand during Loy Kratong as well.

Waderider
    Free Member

People who launch them should be prosecuted for littering and attempted arson.

Houns
    eth3er
    Free Member

wrightyson – Member
    I actually like them tho!

POSTED -1 YEARS AGO # REPORT-POST

-1 years ago? I’m not sure what this means; any chance wrightyson has discovered time travel?

wrightyson
    Free Member

I actually like them tho!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“They may damage farm stock and wild animals too.”

Its proven they kill live stock. Apperently they get broken up by farm machinery when cut hay etc and then when the hay is fed to cattle they swallow lots of small bits of metal and die.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Do they decompose pretty quickly ? just tissue and bamboo ?

Depends on the lantern – the worst ones use metal wire rather than bamboo.

leffeboy

but they give ‘farming today’ something to rant about in the mornings when they get bored of badgers and large dairy farms 😀 (wish my daughter didn’t have to get up so early in the morning)

wrightyson
    Free Member

Eh?? If only! Then I wouldn’t be bikelesa after Saturday’s little tumble!!!

scruff
    Free Member

I hate them. Lots about by me as I’m down wind from 100000, alot around the fields and woodlands.

It just littering, no thought at all for where they land or the harm they may cause.

trailmonkey

Is it any worse than the mess from streamers after NYE or the debris from rockets and stuff after bonfire night ?

I think there’s probably more pressing things in the world to get yourself stressed about. If you haven’t then I envy you your tranquility.

binners

Its ridiculous! I wish people would stop this silly fad for imported rubbish, and get back to littering the countryside with the more traditional ‘British’ articles. Discarded Special Brew tins, soggy copies of Razzle and those plastic things that hold 4-packs of beer together

Bloody multi-culturalism!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

In fairness to the op tm, he did title the post “rantette”. Isn’t there nearly always something more important to worry about?

trailmonkey

fair enough

Dave
    Free Member

See also: Balloon releases

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Thats not a lantern! It’s a used jonny from a whale!

get back to littering the countryside with the more traditional ‘British’ articles. Discarded Special Brew tins, soggy copies of Razzle and those plastic things that hold 4-packs of beer together

+1

leffeboy

and get back to littering the countryside with the more traditional ‘British’ articles. Discarded Special Brew tins, soggy copies of Razzle and those plastic things that hold 4-packs of beer together

You’ve got me feeling all nostalgic now

MrsToast
    Free Member

I’ve got to admit, I quite like the idea of Chinese lanterns. I like the idea of being able to light one and then propel it away from one’s person, whilst shouting “HADOKEN!”

Saw a couple going over my mom’s house the other week, I did wonder if/how often they ever set stuff alight. I imagine it’d be a much bigger problem in the summer when it’s dry, mainly from people not launching them properly.

Mr_Mojo
    Free Member

My wife works for NFU and says these lanterns are causing major problems for the farming community. There has been several big fires over last summer because of them. They also frighten the farm livestock too.

Bunnyhop

deadlydarcy – Member

In fairness to the op tm, he did title the post “rantette

dd – I’m a she not a he 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

dd – I’m a she not a he

😳

So is a “rantette” a girl’s “rant”?

Bunnyhop

A rantette is a slight, cute, femine type rant, as opposed to the full on, (with perfect spelling, puntuation) getting very angry and swearing type 😉

smiffy

They don’t just distress cattle, they kill them.

ell_tell
    Free Member

Guns don’t kill cattle. Lanterns do.

nostoc
    Free Member

we need to put the cattle in US style mega-factory concrete farms to protect them

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Chinese lanterns (rantette)’ is closed to new replies.