Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Chinese food recommendations – Manc
  • dashed
    Free Member

In my experience, 90% of chinese restaurants (like curry houses) fall into a middle band of good but nowt special. Looking for somewhere for a decent birthday treat and rather than just chance our luck in Chinatown, any personal recommendations?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Wings.
    Was there two weeks ago, very nice indeed.

hugo
    Free Member

Yang Sing – fancier
    Little Yang Sing – less fancy, less expensive, smaller, still good.
    Pacific – somewhere in between. Nice place, good for a birthday.

doris5000

i really enjoyed this place. the kind of gaff where you’re the only non-chinese people there and they have to fetch the bloke who speaks passable english for you. also the kind of place that has tripe on the menu (i usually take this as a sign of authenticity / not making too many concessions to the english market! ha!)

dead friendly too, although possibly not posh/ “nice birthday meal out” vibes

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187069-d3370152-Reviews-or10-Azuma-Manchester_Greater_Manchester_England.html#REVIEWS

Psplat
    Free Member

My vote is for the Great Wall, Homemade Peking noodles, making me hungry thinking about it.

Ho’s bakery is also a winner, but doesn’t fall into birthday treat category.

ebennett

I’d mostly agree with Hugo. Yang Sing was good when we visited and a nice atmosphere. I’d possibly say the food was marginally better in the Pacific, but the decor was pretty tired so maybe not the best if you’re looking for something a bit fancier. I’ve also heard good things about Wings, but not tried it yet. Rice Bowl and Little Yang Sing are pretty good, but I’ve mostly eaten there after a few beers so my recollection may be clouded!

edhornby

Little Yang Sing is a good call for a nice sit down meal, the big one is more for groups who are eating banquet style

the Great Wall isn’t as classy but the food is really good – you see chinese people in there! it’s been a while since I last went in tho…

hugo
    Free Member

ebennett – That’s a good way of putting it. Pacific is shinier (and possibly better for a bday), Yang Sing probably edges it on food. Not much in it.

Little Yang sing is probably more suited if you’re going to get boozed up! It’s a bit more “ABC standard chinese restaurant” but with good food, if that makes sense.

dashed
    Free Member

Cheers all – will give Pacific a try if we can get a table. Failing that Yang Sing.

🙂

thered

Great Wall +1

jim25

Red Chilli, father in law phoned Chinese embassy and asked where they go to eat! He had some top Ceo people visiting from China and they only wanted to eat proper food.
    I’ve been and can say its the best chinese ive ever had

jim25
    unovolo
    Free Member

Sweet Mandarin in the Northern quarter opposite the old fish market(now apartments)

knightrider3
    Free Member

“The happy Gathering” A bit expensive but amazing food.

ransos
    Free Member

Little Yang Sing – less fancy, less expensive, smaller, still good.

I think it’s better than its big brother…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Chinese food recommendations – Manc’ is closed to new replies.