Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Chinese Carbon Wheelsets
  • turtleheading
    Free Member

Anyone running them? Looking at getting some 50mm deep section tubs. eBay have some very tempting wheels for around the £300!
    Anyone else have any experience with them.

Cheers

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at these too, but clincher versions. Some good reports after a scour of the web, but apparently the clinchers can fail on long descents due to the heat build up in the thinner braking surface….

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

farsports are the company to use, check the thread on weightweenies, its about 87 krillion pages long.

BenjiM

Mine have been great so far. From Carbonzone.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Carbonzone 50mm clinchers here as well. They’ve been fine and look the business but I’ve no idea if I’m any faster with them. Not as stiff as my Fulcrum Racing 1 wheelset but then very little is.

but apparently the clinchers can fail on long descents due to the heat build up in the thinner braking surface….

Your tubes will pop long before the wheel gets hot enough to damage the carbon. Even alloy rims will do this if you drag the brakes. I don’t use carbon wheels in the Alps where there are properly long decents where heat build up is an issue and I need the best braking possible but for the UK its not a problem.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Was in Malaga a few weeks ago in the mountains and my mate fried his 32mm Reynolds Carbon Clincher rear rim, got so hot it warped to the point of it being un-rideable. Happens to the best carbon rims.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Velobuild for all your Chinese carbon needs. Loads of information to be had on there.

campfreddie
    Free Member

i run a pair of chinese 38mm carbon clinchers… no problems with them so far.

much prefer them to my 50mm planet x carbon tubs.

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

Carbonzone wheels here too.

They’ve survived a full cross season with no complaints! Obviously CX has no heat warp problems though!

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I’m only going on what I’ve read but isn’t braking supposed to be inferior too and specific carbon brake pads are quite expensive?

will
    Free Member

Been running some 50mm clinchers for around 18 months now. Light, roll very well, look good, stiff.

My only complaint is that they used alloy nipple, and quite short spokes. So i’ve now snapped 3 spoke nipple heads on the front wheel…

Edit: Braking is indeed rubbish, and in the wet you don;t have brakes. That is using the pads which were supplied with the wheel, so others might be better.

STATO
    Free Member

Anyone bought into the carbon mtb rims? the wide 29er rims look good for the price.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

I’m only going on what I’ve read but isn’t braking supposed to be inferior too and specific carbon brake pads are quite expensive?

Yes the braking is indeed inferior to alloy but I don’t think the carbon specific pads are too expensive- anyway if its for a road bike they’ll last for years.

TBH unless you are worried about saving seconds in a TT you’re better off with a nice light set of alloys. I just bought mine cause I wanted to try out carbon rims and I like the way the bike looks with them on.

Northwind

STATO- I had an order ready with Light Bicycle but ended up having to delay due to money. But the word of mouth seems pretty good, there’s been a couple of failures but then, I’m buying it to replace a dead alu rim 😉

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Chinese Carbon Wheelsets’ is closed to new replies.