Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Chinese carbon wheels (again)
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

So I asked about chinese carbon wheels a while ago and it seems they’ve been discussed on the forums for a few years now, but most of the positive comments seem to stop at “Received wheels, they LOOK great, I’m chuffed”…..with no feedback on how well they’ve lasted. And then there’s the horror stories….”Wheel delaminated and warped mid-descent…”…..

I’ve been looking at these 700c 50mm clinchers on ebay

Versus the slightly more pricey versions from Farsports/Wheelsfar. Both are claiming some kind of warranty….has anyone had to use such warranty with Chinese sellers?

I’ve also been looking at the ones on Planet-X with the alloy brake track, but they seem a little heavy. Shame they don’t use a lighter hub or something.

Any reason not to chance the ones on ebay or as the most used question on ebay goes – will I die?

jonk

Do you like good braking in the dry and wet? Do you ride lots of hills and hit 40+ on the downs? if yes then don’t buy all carbon clinchers. If you are using them for racing then they’ll be ok. I have 2 sets both with alloy brake tracks for the reasons stated above.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I already have a decent lightish set of all alloy clinchers but they’re not overly aero.

Wanted a set for racing crits and/or a possible time trial bike build at a later date.

TiRed

they will be fine for your intended purpose. Swapping pads might be more pfaff. I chose alloy carbon Giant pslr-aero, and i think these are now a bargain. Breaking with alloy rims is much better, particularly if you race in the rain. You will.

If i went to tubulars, i would choose a pair dedicated for racing. But have not felt the need.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Where from TiRed?

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Or do you mean you feel they are a bargain now you’ve got them and know what benefit they’ve given you?

mashiehood
    Free Member

I have now ridden the Farsports 38mm clinchers for 12 months, wet dry etc. A great wheelset, still running true and with no issues at all. Have been running them tubeless as I specced them without spoke holes, with Ultremo tyres. Again no issues and not s single puncture.

mashiehood
    Free Member

oh, and once you get used to braking, its fine.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Thanks Mashie, that was more what I was after. Only really planning on using them for racing, so should be ok.

mashiehood
    Free Member

well worth it – my friends have sold their zipp 303 and replaced with farsports.

TiRed

The first version were £1250, but I thought this years were about half that. Maybe I’ve been mistaken. They are excellent wheels. But the Chinese Carbon wheels for about £300 are also excellent value when you crash.

mooman
    Free Member

jonk – Member

Do you like good braking in the dry and wet? Do you ride lots of hills and hit 40+ on the downs? if yes then don’t buy all carbon clinchers. If you are using them for racing then they’ll be ok. I have 2 sets both with alloy brake tracks for the reasons stated above.

Got to agree with this comment above.

I have a set of 38mm Chinese clinchers. Lovely smooth and stiff wheels.
    But braking is not great. Especially with the brake pads they came with .. very bad infact!
    I swapped them over to swisstop yellow pads, and whilst braking is much better .. they are a bit all or nothing. There is no gradual braking ..

But as said. For crits, where braking is very minimal .. they is fine.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Do the farsports ones have basalt braking surface and does it make a difference?

TiRed, I can only see the Giant wheels at about £500 – £600 quid each depending on front or rear?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Chinese carbon wheels (again)’ is closed to new replies.