Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • Chinese carbon road wheels
  • carbon337
    Free Member

There are endless threads on multiple forums about Chinese wheelsets.

I’ve read most of them but they get a bit tedious and since stw is the fountain of all knowledge I thought I’d ask here.

Weights and tubs vs clincher arguments has anyone ever hear of these 50mm wheelsets having catastrophic failures. As in complete death defying explosions?

Think I’ll get some carbonzone 50mm clinchers for 335 at 1500g

scaredypants

I’ve no experience, insider knowledge or subject expertise (hence perfectly qualified for a stw comment)

I’m betting that some are great and some are shit. Since I don’t know which I’ll buy the ones that somebody big(gish) is staking their reputation on

Raouligan
    Free Member

Not been anywhere near any but have heard enough horror stories about even quality composite clincher wheels going bang with heat build up that if I lived anywhere hilly I’d only consider tubulars.

That said the Gigantex rims seem to get a thumbs up from a lot of people in both formats, although they don’t sell direct

I’d looked into some either Hong Fu or Deng Fu, can’t remember which and decided that while they’d look ace the dental bill from them failing was more than I’d really like to consider.

Have you thought about some Cosmic SLR’s with exalith they look like full carbon, weigh a bit more but you don’t have braking worries in clincher format?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    coatesy
    Free Member

Quality is variable, to say the least. A mate of mine was given a set from China, but whilst the freehub splines were correctly aligned, it’s diameter was too large. We had to skim it back on the lathe to get the cassette on, 8 months on and it’s internals have died, and he’s got no idea where, or whether, he can get spares from.Make sure you can get some back-up before you purchase.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not rims but I got some Hylix components – the seatpost, marked 27.2 x 400mm was in fact 27.0 x 350mm.

I built up some Planet X tub rims recently tho and they seemed OK.

kilo

Got a couple of carbonzone 50mm front for tt’ing; tubs, light strong (i’m about 90kgs and had no issues) i’d buy them again. not sure why chineese wheels – are anymore likely to explode than any other cardon deepsets it’s not as if a wheel has a load of complex components

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Will on here bought a set & they’ve been great, including commuting in London & the Tour of the Peaks on Sunday (98 miles, 55mph decents etc.)

carbon337
    Free Member

I’m still to be put off by any known problems. At £300 they are a relatively disposable item. It’s only 2 pairs of decent shorts.

Handsomedog
    Free Member

You could drop the guys at ADR Carbon a line. They mostly bring in TT stuff but they might know more.

karnali
    Free Member

px doing carbons for 349 on jubilee special offer

jonba
    Free Member

The planet x ones aren’t much more than that are they? With QC and a warranty it might be worth it.

carbon337
    Free Member

Thought the px ones were just tubs. Don’t want to carry/replace tubs after punctures.

pushbikerider
    Free Member

The PX full carbon rims are tub only but they do some alloy clincher rims with carbon fairings (although they are heavier).
    I’ve got a pair of 80mm/50mm carbon clincher rims built up on JoyTech hubs from GotoBike that I use for racing. They were around £500 and 1500g (I’d post you a link to more info but my site appears broken at the moment).
    You’ve just got to use carbon friendly brake pads and remember to leave a little bit more room for slowing down! In this country I don’t think you’d have a problem but taking them somewhere properly hilly could be an issue; I’d only ever use them for racing rather than general use too…

carbon337
    Free Member

Ive read about this hilly descent thing – how far are we talking?

Lakes descents? I live in Northumberland which is just rolling hills really.

pushbikerider
    Free Member

…think more ‘mountains’ rather than hills; the reports of failure I found were from the ‘States and French Alps.
    I’d say it was probably similar to the risk of boiling a disc brake on a Mountain Bike – pretty impossible in this country but very doable down a honking great Alpine descent.
    Using carbon as a braking surface isn’t the worlds best 😕 idea hence the need for suitable pads (my wheels came supplied with them) and saving them for Sunday best…

carbon337
    Free Member

oh well thats enough for me – think ill get them…:)

will
    Free Member

goldenwonder – Member
    Will on here bought a set & they’ve been great, including commuting in London & the Tour of the Peaks on Sunday (98 miles, 55mph decents etc.)

They are indeed great. Light at around 1,550g, very stiff, climb well, look great, sounds great, hold speed well.

I guess i’ve done around 600/900 miles on mine and apart from one spoke nipple snapping they have been no issues, and they are still true, despite hitting a few big potholes.

The only issue is braking, i’m using the pads that came with the wheels, so they may not be the best, but braking isn’t as good as on alu rims, but then it never will be!

There is a big thread on BikeRadar, with lots of info. Certainly no horror stories.

carbon337
    Free Member

Cheers Will – did you get carbonzones?

Ive read most of the BR thread but it goes on and on and so its hardly much of a resource anymore to getting quick information.

Options:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280878124189?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280878137801?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1952.l2649

will
    Free Member

Yeah, but when I ordered they were not selling them through ebay at the time, so went direct. Appears they are now selling through ebay so that’s good.

Communication was very good and they marked them down as “sample” so you don’t pay import tax.

You want a picture? ok 😉

02.01.2012 by Will – B, on Flickr

zedbedboy
    Free Member

Carbon,
    Let us know how you get on.

carbon337
    Free Member

Few weeks yet and I’d imagine a few weeks to get delivered. More than likely carbon zone but maybe fuerte bici for an extra 150 peace of mind.

joe77bike
    Free Member

The is my bike with carbon clincher 38mm wheels 12k glossy finish,wheels are from http://www.yoeleo.com

The quality of the wheels is excellent I have already 1000km,the wheels condition is perfect,still stiff and true. Seller is really kind sending colnago carbon bottle cage to me as gift.
    Anyone can have a try with the seller.

druidh
    Free Member

Hi joe77bike. The fact that you have yoeloe.com in your profile suggests that you own/work for that company. That being the case, why would you send yourself a free bottle cage?

As a trade seller, there’s nothing wrong with posting an honest response to a thread. You might want to be a bit more up front about it though.

cynic-al
    Free Member

joe77bike
    Free Member

Hi druidh, I am not from yoeleo.com, but I like yoeleo very much.I am just a fans of carbon fiber bike products. And bought carbon fiber wheels from yoeleo 1 month ago,just say my opinion towards the wheels. In a word,I am very satisfied with this seller. And I am not here to force you to buy from them, you can just have a look around,then go. It is all depends on you,right? Anyway,have a wonderful cycling.

damo2576
    Free Member

Don’t these factories produce for the big brands too? If so should have manufacturing capability if perhaps not QC on their own lines?

AndyP
    Free Member

will. I can’t see the wheels, because my eyes are bleeding from the state of that bar tape. Get it changed.

tracknicko
    Free Member

that bar tape is silver birch camo tastic!

perfectly aligned photo!

joe77bike
    Free Member

12K glossy finish

AndyP
    Free Member

valve/logo. Oh, the humanity.

will
    Free Member

You know what I bought some new black bar tape over a year ago 😆 still haven’t fitted it. Think it’s my least favourite job ever!

You’ll be pleased to know it’s even more mucky now…

smell_it
    Free Member

Mr yoeleo/ Joe77bike, wonderful cyclings to you to! I don’t mind if you are doing a spot of stealth marketing. I’m wanting to pull the trigger on some 38mm carbon clinchers from yeoleo; what is the approx delivery time to the UK? If I spec white spokes will this lead to any extra time needed for build? I take it the site prices are in usd? can I get a Colnago bottle holder to, it would look rather nice on my own colnago, Cheers

wwaswas

Carlton Reid just posted this on twittter;

Cheap carbon clichers? Hmm. Caveat emptor. bit.ly/LCQIEc No wonder such wheels are banned by a US sportive.

Do organisers of events in the UK police equipment so closely?

will
    Free Member

Can’t read that link unfortunately as it’s blocked at work. Assume it’s slating them following one exploding or something?

wwaswas

the link is to Alibaba for the generic carbon wheels this thread is about – he doesn’t qualify the banning thing – I may ask for details.

joe77bike
    Free Member

Mr yoeleo/ Joe77bike, wonderful cyclings to you to! I don’t mind if you are doing a spot of stealth marketing. I’m wanting to pull the trigger on some 38mm carbon clinchers from yeoleo; what is the approx delivery time to the UK? If I spec white spokes will this lead to any extra time needed for build? I take it the site prices are in usd? can I get a Colnago bottle holder to, it would look rather nice on my own colnago, Cheers

Hi, I am not yoeleo. I am joe.Thanks!!
    If you are interested ,you can contact the seller. I am just a buyer.If you need my help or something about my feeling of using the wheels,then you can contact me.

njee20
    Free Member

Not sure I’d get cheap carbon clinchers, I’d be far more confident in tubs.

wwaswas
    carbon337
    Free Member

How did this get dragged back up… anyway I didnt buy ebay specials in the end I went for Wheelsmith Handbuilt Gigantex 50mm clinchers.

Shown here:

IMG_3062 by H2O Foto, on Flickr

wwaswas

your little tree’s got ‘big yellow windmill in the same pot’ envy.

It got brought up by the bloke claiming to have no relationship to the cheap clincher manufacturing company spamming.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Chinese carbon road wheels’ is closed to new replies.