Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Chinese carbon rear TT disc wheel – any about?
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Anyone seen one, got one, recommend one? Would expect someone to be selling them but can’t spot any from the usual Chinese wheel vendors (e.g. light bicycle, carbonal.)

Sam

Yes, I got a track one, can’t recall the supplier exactly but I may be able to dig it out. Just go to Alibaba and do a search. Only used it a couple of times, but it seems pretty solid.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks Sam. Be interested to know which you went for.

turboferret

I have a Chinese carbon disc, bought from ebay. Seller was carbon-goods, I paid $820 for it, and it’s a tubular. I’m no expert on different discs, but it seems pretty decent, and I’ve had no issues with it. It’s not quite as loud and rumbly as a Zipp, but a fraction of the price. Can also be converted to track.

Here it is on the tri bike:

Is having its 2nd major outing this weekend in South Africa for another Ironman. Given the howling winds predicted, hopefully I won’t get blown away 😀

Cheers, Rich

lilchris
    Free Member

Anyone found these in clincher flavour?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks turboferret. Best of luck with the Ironman. Just reading Iron War at the moment.. can’t decide if I envy you or feel sorry for you 🙂

lilchris, a search on ebay shows both clinchers and tubulars.

lilchris
    Free Member

lilchris, a search on ebay shows both clinchers and tubulars.

Would expect someone to be selling them but can’t spot any from the usual Chinese wheel vendors

Rather, like you I gather, hoping not to spend £1.5k for a Zipp!!
    (…or of I’m honest, £800 for a Pro-Lite)

kilo

If you want to save cash try the classifieds on time trial forum, usually a few for sale there

SamB
    Free Member

You could always just slap an aero disk jacket on there:

http://www.bike-science.com/products/aerojacketdiscwheelcovers

It’s not going to be as fast as a £1900 Sub-9, but then neither is a Chinese copy…

mrblobby
    Free Member

SamB, that’s what I’m currently using wrapped around my PowerTap wheel 🙂

Thanks kilo, been checking ebay fairly regularly too, shall check out the time trial forum. Just wondering what the chinese carbon options may be.

SamB
    Free Member

Hmmmm…. in that case I do wonder what performance gains you’d get from switching to a Chinese disc.

I mean obviously the WHOOSH WHOOSH WHOOSH will make you faster 😀 But Zipp state a 23s difference over 40k for an 808 pair vs 808 and Super 9. Swapping the aerojacket for a Chinese disc will probably drop a bit of weight and gain a bit of aero (maybe!), but I’m not sure how much that’ll be worth. Say 15s over 40k for £900?

Not knocking it if you’ve got the cash and nothing more to upgrade, but I think I’d have nicer aerobars / Di2 further up the list 🙂

turboferret

Well, my cheap disc was closer to £500 than £900, so it seemed like decent value to me. As I’m based in India and only in the UK sporadically, it was much easier to buy new, albeit probably poorer quality, than 2nd hand, purely down to logistics. Were I UK based I would most likely have trawled the classifieds to get something with a good reputation.

I’m not really in a huge position of authority to comment on how fast it is, or have enough data to conclude if I’ve gained any more speed from it. It certainly isn’t as stiff as a Zipp as the sides can flex if squashed – the more expensive offerings have some sort of core filling, some of them honeycomb I think.

I already had the nice aerobars and Di2 😀

One other point, clearly you’ll lose your powertap with the disc – have you considered how you’ll replace that, as that could be a more expensive move than the disc! I certainly spent more on my Quarq than my disc 🙂

Cheers, Rich

mrblobby
    Free Member

I mean obviously the WHOOSH WHOOSH WHOOSH will make you faster

A lot of this.

. Say 15s over 40k for £900?

And a little this.

🙂

I certainly spent more on my Quarq than my disc

Plotting a stages purchase. The powertap usually is on the turbo bike.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Chinese carbon rear TT disc wheel – any about?’ is closed to new replies.