Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Chinese carbon forks
  • rosscopeco
    Free Member

This has probably been asked before but I’m still curious..has anyone bought and ran one of these fellas?

Chinese carbon forks

Interested to canvas some opinions and experiences. Do these take a 29 x 3 tyre? It looks mighty close from their drawings but in reality they may sneak under the crown.

Anyone?

T666DOM

I’ve bought a set for my 29er and my cx bike. Both full carbon steerers for £60 (each) delivered. So far they’ve been faultless. I comnute about 120 miles on the cx every week, so far bombproof after almost a year on North Yorkshire finest tarmac & fireroads. The 29er forks have taken some big hits& are still going strong after 18 months

rosscopeco
    Free Member

Any idea how they compare to the ‘better’ high quality forks out there or is it obviously…’you get what you pay for’?!

lightman
    Free Member

A lot of forks are just re-branded, just like frames.
    If the ones above had ENVE stickers on them, they would charge 10x more even if they were just the same fork.
    When you buy anything, branded or not, just make sure you give it a good check over when you get it and every now and again during use.

edhornby

your takeaway places must be reet posh if you get carbon forks rather than wooden ones from the chinese 😀

here till friday

trail_rat
    Free Member

My chinese (hylix) carbon forks broke.

Showed no signs of issue

Half way through 10 under the ben my steerer started flexing – it had just gone soft. No actual crack no outwardly signs of damage….i cut the bendy bit off and use it on a town bike that gets no abuse – and if a thief steals it hopefully it snaps on him.

Ive dealt with hundreds of carbon bike parts over the years in the workshop and never had one returned with that issue.

Wasnt that bothered , what do you expect for 95 quid. How ever it could have been much worse.

rosscopeco
    Free Member

Trail_rat….I was kind of expecting someone would reply with something like this experience.

Whilst I take my hat of to the carbon builders over yonder the overall quality / perceived failure etc etc of their products seems almost inevitable…or is this an isolated incident?

So the question I have is really….if you had the choice between said Chinese carbon and lets say On One’s carbon 29er fork, the extra £50ish would be worth it as opposed to taking the risk?

trail_rat
    Free Member

I tried it for the aesthetics as at the time niner were the only ones doing monocoque rigids – and they were too long.

If anyone id heard of had done a 440 monocoque fork id have gone for it no questions asked.

Took the punt , now i ride triple butted p2 steel forks – weight penalty of 140 grams.

rosscopeco
    Free Member

Fair point re the 140g weight penalty…however…what’s the ride like in terms of the comparison between carbon / steel?

I’ve always had bouncy forks but I really want to scratch the rigid itch. I’ve gone up to a 2.4 Chunky Monkey tyre which is the largest my Reba will take. If I went to a rigid I’d be in the (long) que for one of the Surly dirt wizards that are supposed to out any day now.

T666DOM

I can’t comment on more expensive forks as I’ve only used the flyxii ones.

trail_rat
    Free Member

ride quality – both ride nicer than my tubular carbon pace forks… if anything the hylix was more rigid , more fore and aft deflection in the kona p2s ….

not all carbon and steel forks are made equal … .got a set of handsome dog steel rigids that i used to use on town bike…. those would have your teeth out on a country road never mind going offroad.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Chinese carbon forks’ is closed to new replies.