Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Chinese 29er rim damaged on arrival. Is it safe?
  • fr0sty
    Free Member

How do.

I’ve bought 2 frames and now 2 sets of wheels from Chinese sellers over the last 4 years and never had a single issue, until now.

The seller i used for these wheels was carbonspeedcycle and I paid through eBay.

The first problem was that the front wheel was not even close to true with some clearly loose spokes.

The main issue though is the damaged rear rim. It seems as though in a very localised place the carbon has started to splinter away. This is located on the inner edge of the hook(?) exactly where the bead of the tyre would sit when fully inflated.

I do not feel confident in putting tyres on and riding these wheels till’ it’s been properly assessed and likely repaired (perhaps a super thin layer of epoxy would sort it?) but what do you think?

The 2nd pic shows the exact location.

Murray

Contact the seller and ask for a replacement.

Jamie
    Free Member

and I paid through eBay

Get your money back through eBay.

Might sting a bit to post back, though.

fr0sty
    Free Member

I’ve already stated that I need it either replacing outright at their cost, or a partial refund to cover the cost of any assessment and repair that needs doing. It will likely be cheaper for them to replace.

The seller responded by offering a $50 refund to cover the wheel truing and ignored the splintered rim issue entirely!

Needless to say I have responded via the Resolution Centre…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

with that response I’d be sending them both back for a full refund 🙂
    wheels are sort of important.

sq225917
    Free Member

Just get a full refund and tell us who it is so we can avoid

fr0sty
    Free Member

Seller is carbonspeedcycle and has been anything but helpful so far.

Wish me luck folks

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Chinese 29er rim damaged on arrival. Is it safe?’ is closed to new replies.