Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Chimney breast removal…
  • Gotama
    Free Member

Can someone explain for a simpleton.

Asking on behalf of my mum who is in the process of buying a new house. She has someone doing a load of work on it but he’s a plumber by trade and has picked up other skills trhough his career. Anyway, the house is c. 1930s terrace and has a chimney in both front and rear rooms which then merges in the loft space. It starts arching to the join through the upstairs bedroom. He is saying that he can take out the chimney breast from the kitchen, using an rsj to support it, but can’t take it out in the upstairs bedroom without removing the chimney from the front of the house as well. Does this sound plausible? I don’t see why you can’t take it out in the upstairs bedroom as well and use rsj to support the remaining side, as you would do if it was removed in the kitchen. I can appreciate the loads are quite possibly different but is it a no no?

sharkbait
    Free Member

The wall separating the front and back downstairs is possibly thicker as it’s structural, so there is room to put the rsj. The wall upsairs may well be thinner as it has less to hold and if you take out the chimney even on one side there would be very little left.
    The alternative would be to remove the upstairs wall completely and rebuild it including a flue for the remaining fireplace downstairs. This seems rather drastic though just to remove an upstairs chimney breast.
    Happy to be ridiculed if I’m completely wrong.

fongsaiyuk
    Free Member

assuming that the chimney is on the party wall between yours /your neighbour you can take the chimney out all the way up into the loft space and then support it on concrete lintols and gallows brackets, you may or may not want to get a party wall agreement with your neighbour if this is the case .

i am not an expert btw

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wwaswas

you may or may not want to get a party wall agreement with your neighbour if this is the case .

Particularly if they’ve already done the same on the assumption that your chimney will help hold up what is left of theirs 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Chimney breast removal…’ is closed to new replies.