Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Chilterns trail map and key information anywhere?
  • hutchweb

When riding offroad in the Chilterns there are many arrows painted on trees indicating the direction of bridleways and footpaths. These are often numbered indicating that somewhere there is a map with all the bridleways recorded on it.
    But I have never been able to find any reference to this map anywhere.
    Anybody out there know where I can find more information.

Trimix
    Free Member

I cant recall where the info is kept, but I did stumble on it via the web once.

But they do just basically point where the FP / BW goes, so if you have an OS map you really don’t need more.

They are not some sort of planned circular route. I believe they are just there to keep you on the FP/BW and stop you wondering off to explore all the hidden gems 🙂

Trimix
    Free Member

Oh, you could try the café at Turville, they have some “Rambler” type info, maps and walking guides.

phead
    Free Member

Assuming you are not looking at sustrans numbers, then it may be the local authority numbers you are seeing. Each LA keeps the definite map of the local area rights of way, many are on line , search for “LA name” and “rights of way” and have a search around.

OS map is much easier though, LA geo maps are horrible to use.

hutchweb

Thanks for the info guys. Will keep looking. I haven’t come across anywhere else with such an obviously organised set of paths and trails.
    I love maps and my dream was to find an overlay with all the bridleways laid out!

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I assume its the definite map you are looking for do a search for

Definite Map and the Country name ie
    Definite Map Oxfordshire
    Definite Map Wokingham

Here is the oxfordshire one
    Click Here

Click on the squares and smaller maps give u the number. There seem to be alot in Oxford so the numbers are very high.

Here is the workingham one
    click

It doesnt seem to have the numbers on which is annoying.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Heres another oxfordshire one doesnt seem to have numbers for some reason either.

Click

Trimix
    Free Member

If you just want a map with bridleways on it (and everything else) get an OS map.

Or have a look at this: http://www.bikehike.co.uk/index.php

towzer

re definitive maps

I like this: http://www.rowmaps.com/

hutchweb

Thanks very much scu98rkr and towzer. Interesting info which seems to prove that there is nothing better than OS maps!
    I use Viewranger on all my mobile devices for planning and following routes but also have Memory map on my PC for Big screen planning.
    http://www.rowmaps.com is useful for a quick scan of new areas.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Chilterns trail map and key information anywhere?’ is closed to new replies.