Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Chilterns on my doorstep whats the ideal bike??
  • renton
    Free Member

As title really, Im new to the area and without a bike at the moment.

What would be the ideal bike for doing most of my riding on the chlterns and the occasional day at afan/cannock??

Not sure about either a longtravel hardtail(Bfe) or a full susser like a trek fuel ex or would i be massively overbiked on something with more travel??

whats your opinions

cheers

steve

djglover
    Free Member

A road bike 😉

brassneck

Soul?

soobalias
    Free Member

which bit of the chilterns?

like most of the rest of the country, you want an XC bike, my personal choice would be hardtail but thats because you will appreciate it being lighter.

there is gnaradcoreDHXXXtreme riding to be found – depends what you like, how far you like to travel to ride…

the guys i ride with have the full spectrum of bikes from £300 hardtails that are still going strong after 5 years, to £3000 carbon full sussers, to FR capable frames, to rigid SS clown bikes

we ride offroad, like going fast, round corners, over bumps and jumps and finish in a pub for a beer

ride what you like.

renton
    Free Member

Im based just outside wallingford if that helps.

been into the local bike shops to ask their opinions and they have both said hardtails.!!!

one does sell Cotic frames and we get discount…….

nickc

I’d say hardtail TBH. The trails are pretty gloppy in winter (conditions now are exceptional) and the mud eats through bearings and pivots in no time. but Soobalias speaks the truth, you’ll need a general XC bike whatever suits you or your bank balance will be fine.

I ride from Watlington most sundays if you need a hand getting your bearings.

Macgyver

I’ve just gone fully rigid ready for Chilterns winter mud (I’m in Oxford) As Nickc says, trails are exceptional right now. I keep thinking this dry spell is gonna break but so far…….

renton
    Free Member

I have been offered a trek fuel ex 8 at a very good price (have even put a deposit on it to hold it for me) was thinking of riding that and getting a 456 frame and forks cheap to build up and use with all the bits ive got left over from my 5 spot

crispedwheel
    Free Member

This is my local area and I’d say hardtail too – cotic souls are lovely frames.

renton
    Free Member

I would love to meet up with a group ride or something when im back in the country !!!

The chilterns are so big and i just dont know where to start !

soobalias
    Free Member

a nice full susser for dry fast summer conditions as well as away days

and

a nice hardtail as a second bike, something that wont blink at the midwinter conditions.

sounds like you have it sorted.

idenry
    Free Member

I live on northern end of Chilterns (Wendover/Ashridge/Coombe Hill etc) and ride 120mm full sus. It’s a good do it all bike for the area and comfy for day long riding.

geebus
    Free Member

Living in Reading and riding various stuff around there I went from an GT Avalanche Pro (light weight hard tail, 80-130mm fork) to a 120mm Boardman FS Comp and was pleasantly surprised.
    I found what I lost from bob while climbing, I gained back in traction on the typically loose surfaces. Speed in a straight line wasn’t particularly affected when sitting down.

rob2
    Free Member

Hardtail +1

I’ve got a soul and a chameleon and both are great. You only need 1*9 I’d say too. Not sure there’s much you can’t get up or down on that.

We’re in Cholsey! Which also has a very bike friendly cafe. 🙂

forgotmename
    Free Member

Probably a 29er, hardtail.

br
    Free Member

Aylesbury based and ride often in the Chilterns, while I ride a HT an EX8 would be fine.

And tbh the trails are normally either bone dry or clarty-mud.

Where are you?

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

I have an orange p7 and ride round the chilterns perfect bike …im from the Reading massive !!

oldgit
    Free Member

When I owned an MTB I rode there a fair bit. Classic xc full sussers were ace when it was either dry or firm. Any old singlespeed any other day.

renton
    Free Member

wow !! didnt realise there are so many of you localish to me !!

is there any proper singletracky type stuff near to me at wallingford??

bangaio
    Free Member

I live in Ivinghoe (top end of the Chilterns) and sold my bouncy bike and have a Dialled Prince Albert with 125mm at the front and think it’s spot on for round here. Would quite like a soul though…..

makkag
    Free Member

i have a upgraded cube HT with Reba’s set at 120mm and its been everywhere mate, ride what you can afford ! based in kings langley and do the upper chilterns often and afan & cannock etc .. whilst i love my mates full susers never felt the need for one myself .. hell i even had a blast on some of the red runs in Les Gets this year on it and did not die ! also has the benefit of just getting ridden wiped down and ridden again !

jameso

I’m enjoying the Chilterns more than ever these days on a rigid 29er. Makes the micro-tech interesting and it’s a good xc / bridleway bike to link up the cheekies. Great from-doorstep-ride all-rounder, simple and fun.

oldgit
    Free Member

bangaio, nice spot. Do you ride road as well? I use my crosser on your patch, but the flints get bigger further South.

renton
    Free Member

do any of you know the RAF camp at benson?? if so which is the quickest way to the decent singletrack from the camp gates??

Bregante

I’ve just gone fully rigid ready for Chilterns winter mud

A little too much info there 😯

ssnowman
    Free Member

For winter I find a single speed hardtail with Trailrakers to be perfect most of the time.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Evening NickC………..
    Ride what you’ve got. As long as the wheels go round. Used to live in Tidmarsh, so know all the southern chilts, although have been known to go to the Watlington area too……….
    its all down to what tyres and currently almost summer tyres are good, although the muds are starting to be considered especially with the rain tonight. Chalk and clay is a fun combination.
    Usually ride from Pangbourne, when we head out that way and have some good routes across to Woodcote and Henley etc.

Dickyboy

Ride what you like most, as above wouldn’t recommend a full suss for the winter gets proper claggy out there, as for over biked to hell with it I’m loving my Prince Albert with 130mm Revs just great fun 🙂 be ready with some trailrakers when the mud takes hold though 🙁

simondbarnes

Cross bike

Dickyboy

Cross bike

perfect for occasional day trip to afan/cannock 😕

simondbarnes

perfect for occasional day trip to afan/cannock

Perfectly fine for either.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I think there’s some Dreaming Tyres lot on here then? 😉

As SOOB has said its all good and it all works, just like riding anywhere, and if you ride your bike in different places what do you want it to perform best at? Our group has covered the full gamut and we’ve all had fun, and if I got dropped on the climbs on my 160mm gravity sled skills compensator ego chariot by someone on a singlespeed HT clown bike *ahem* its not the bike’s fault…

TooTall
    Free Member

which is the quickest way to the decent singletrack from the camp gates??

There is a long standing tradition of loads of mountain bikers being based there and riding a lot. You’ll find plenty of local knowledge when you get there.

Dr_Bakes

From Benson head down to the Mongewell roundabout just south of Wallingford and then east on ‘Grim’s Ditch’. Looks like a straight line on the map but is in fact a singletrack delight. Another great one is the bridleway down the back of Huntercombe. Get the OS map and you’ll see there’s a myriad of bridleways that can be put together into some really good 20 or 30 mile loops. I work in Wallingford and have a great 15 mile loop I have done in an extended lunch break in summer. Happy to pass on some gpx’s if you fancy them?

mutley

Hardtail. ride the Chilterns regularly, if slowly. some good stuff round you, just head up to Christmas common and pick a bridleway 🙂

happy to meet up for a pootle. try mountain mania here in sunny didcot for a new bike 🙂

Amos
    Free Member

Cotic soul mate, I live on Goring and have had a foes fxr a yeti 575 and Titus el guapo as well as a cross bike sold them all as the soul was by far the best for all round riding! As for the cross bike I suggest not to bother really don’t know why people suggest them? Good for racing round muddy fields uncomfortably and that’s about it (I’ll get stung for that one 😉 )
    I ride mainly road nowadays but drop my an email if you want a ride out from Goring and get on Neal Bromleys new mailing list, Trailjunkies his shop has closed but he runs regular evening rides http://www.theveloadventurecompany.com/

crispedwheel
    Free Member

I think there’s some Dreaming Tyres lot on here then?

Evening Macgyver, Crashtestmonkey and Dr Bakes 😉

OP – based in Benson? Lucky chap. OS map plus hints from here, and you’ll be fine.
    Dr B – you forgot to warn him about the ‘witch of the ditch’!?! Rest of the advice is very good though – join up Grim’s Ditch and the Huntercombe YOI singletrack.

Oh, and 1×9, as someone previously mentioned, would be good for the Chilterns.

rob2
    Free Member

OP – i’ve got some gpx tracks running from mongewell (so just down from benson). Let me know if you want me to email them through, or go for a scoot. email in profile.

afe in Cholsey has bike mags in and cake :o) nicer than the waterfront cafe in benson and cheaper too :o)

FieldMarshall

A friend of mine lives in Wendover and rides a P7, with a 1 x 9 setup.

Seems spot on for the Chilterns and he also uses it for Wales/Cannock etc without any issues.

jruk
    Free Member

I spent years riding the Northern end of the Chilterns on a fully rigid Clockwork. Don’t think I ever came across something that needed fs. I’d go 100mm-120mm HT with plenty of clearance for the gloop. If budget allows, you could always get yourself a spare set of heavy duty wheels for those crazy days.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Chilterns on my doorstep whats the ideal bike??’ is closed to new replies.