Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Chilterns (Nettlebed) mud conditions?
  • fenn27
    Free Member

Wondering about doing a ride next week from the book “South East Mountain biking – Ridgeway & Chilterns” – Ride 19, Ewelme, Nettlebed & Park Corner.

Anyone know the ride/area and think we’ll be better off taking a canoe? Can cope with a bit of mud but not the majority of the route being impassable. I’m thinking Woburn might be a safer bet as its local.

Trimix
    Free Member

I know the area well, and personally I wouldnt ride there at the moment.

Sure, there will be bits that are OK, but to join these up you will have some really muddy bits that will spoil the overall ride.

If it freezes up your fine, but generally you will need a couple of weeks more of dry weather.

I was up at Woburn on Sunday. There are always dry bits there and we had a couple of hours of pretty much dry riding. The occasionals soft patch, but we avoided the bits that get soggy. Woburn was the muddiest Ive seen it for a while – still rideable, but not completely dry.

Im thinking of Cwn Carn just to get some non muddy riding it this weekend.

pymwymis
    Free Member

CLAG !!

jairaj

yep prob best avoided as it’ll be full of slow draggy mud. Probably a great training aid due to the extra resistance but not sure how fun it’ll be.

+1 on the vote for Woburn. No idea how that place manages to stay so rideable even with the recent rain fall.

fenn27
    Free Member

Thanks for that, Woburn and Rushmere it is then. Going on my birthday so want it to be a good one!

singletracksurfer

it is better up around Skirmett, etc. Steeper and stonier.

Trimix
    Free Member

Woburn has some bits that Ive never ever seen wet. But there are some boggy bits.

Woburn mostly has a magic carpet of pine needles and sand 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Went for a walk on Sunday, suprisingly dry. However that is ‘suprisingly’ dry, it was mearly muddy rather than apocolypticaly Somme like. Anythig under tree cover was horrible, but outside was Ok.

Trimix
    Free Member

Im hoping it will freeze over soon. Ive had some epic crack of dawn rides in the frozen Chilterns.

fenn27
    Free Member

Yep, I work 10 mins from Woburn so know which boggy bits to avoid…although I always seem to struggle linking the good bits together.

maxtorque

No, you won’t like woburn, it’s awful, don’t come, and don’t bring any friends either. Now get orrff my laaaannnd!

😉

Trimix
    Free Member

Most good riding spots were quite before the internet 🙁

fenn27
    Free Member

I’ve mostly been riding at Rushmere the last couple of years and think I’ve only ever seen 1 other rider…I guess more groomed trails than Woburn but sometimes I just like following the loop and not thinking about navigation. Also the series of berms are a lot of fun.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Chilterns (Nettlebed) mud conditions?’ is closed to new replies.