Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Chilterns – is it mud 'till springtime now?
  • mcboo
    Free Member

Havent ridden the Chilterns through a winter before, is it time to just get the mud tyres on and leave them?

cardo

It’s looking that way.

RIP dry dusty trails.

druff
    Free Member

Yep – I’d say so.

I found to my detriment last year that it can be very slippery and with a largely chalk and flint base (with the odd set of wet roots thrown in for fun), particularly good at taking chunks out of knees/shins.

Nonetheless, there’s a lot of fun to be had out there – get out there and enjoy it.

Dan

johnny

I’ve often found, as evidenced by Sunday and Monday, that summer tyres are OK when its p*ssing it down, as everything is wet, and it sheds, as long as you don’t mind a bit of sideways.

As it’ll dry up a bit this weekend, it’ll be clagfest i reckon.

ononeorange

Yes. Won’t be able to ride more than a fast walking pace for 6 months now.

Murray

Wasn’t that what it was like in the summer? 😉

Not looking forward to the clagfest but will be out at lunchtime anyway.

br
    Free Member

Based on +5 years of riding in the Chilterns, its Mud X’s now, until the Ralphs’ go on 🙂

mcboo
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered another Beaver to match the one on the back. Was going to try and keep a Ron on the front but seems little point.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

living in oxford its Chilterns in the summer, woburn sands in the winter. Woburn holds up really well to rain and bad weather, chilterns fall apart at the first sign of moisture.

johnny

I’ve still not been to Woburn, it might be calling… I’m in Pangbourne so it’s a bit more of a slog. Swinley is always there for an escape though!

The Downs hold up OK for XC stuff if you stay off the byways, but it’s generally far from “technical” riding…

mcboo
    Free Member

Yeh I might go have a spin round Woburn. Is there enough there for the XC types among us? My wheels arent leaving the ground thanks vm.

deadkenny
    Free Member

johnny – Member
    I’ve still not been to Woburn, it might be calling… I’m in Pangbourne so it’s a bit more of a slog. Swinley is always there for an escape though!

The Downs hold up OK for XC stuff if you stay off the byways, but it’s generally far from “technical” riding…
    Swinley has it’s own Bog Factor Index, though it does dry out reasonably well if there are enough weeks of no rain. Frankly, despite the amount of rain this year, I’ve seen Swinley far worse than it’s been this year.

If you’re round south of London though, Surrey Hills holds up pretty well. Tourist trails get boggy (except BKB which drains well), but the rest of the better stuff are usually fine and the place is excellent to ride through winter. More so on hardened frosty trails. Plenty of technical. Just keep off Ranmore when wet – clay.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

I think it’ll be the worst winter in ages for the Chilterns mud. The surface only dried out in early September, so it can’t be particularly dry underneath.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

It does mean that all Strava KOMs are locked down until May, so if you’ve got any, then you can sit on them all winter 😀

johnny

Bit of a hijack, but are there any regular groups riding in the south Chilterns at the mo? I used to do Mountain High rides a fair bit, but it’s all a bit ad hoc nowadays.

johnny

pants, double post….

ononeorange

Where do you mean by “south”, Johnny? Summit are based around Chalfont St Giles / Gaerrards Cross area.

johnny

“South” the block from Pangbourne-Reading-Henley extending up to the M40-ish area.

I’m open to riding elsewhere, (Summit would be good for a weekend, good idea!) but with 2 kids, local riding with up to half an hour’s drive to a meet is more realistic.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

You based in Reading? Local clubs with a social focus seem a bit few and far between

johnny

I’m in Whitchurch/Pangbourne Local clubs, full stop, are lacking. Mountain High were good, as were Trailjunkies. Both defunct in the same year. There is a website set up by guys from MH, called Goodrideguide, but rides on there are a bit fitful.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Strava’s been useful just to chat to people who ride the same stuff (I live in West Reading, so Sulham/Pangbourne/Whitchurch/Woodcote/Mapledurham is my local patch).

I dunno what RATZ are up to these days… to my mind they always seemed a bit racing focused for my liking (this was an impression and might have been wrong).

Edit: http://www.ratmbc.co.uk/ is all about racing rather than social rides.

jsinglet

We ride from Reading on Wednesday nights and Sundays.

It’s social, every ride ends at a pub, and we don’t leave anyone behind. We might be part of the CTC but don’t let that put you off, we don’t have panniers. Just turn up and say hello.

John

Murray

Just back from Lott’s Wood. Still fine (but it always drains well, perhaps the railway cutting below it helps?). Small but perfectly formed.

johnny

Ah, i’d forgotten about the CTC rides, i used to do them when i lived in Reading itself. Do you continue the wednesday night rides in the winter?

jsinglet

Yeah we carry on all year round now, we tend to finish up somewhere closer to town in the winter to shorten the ride home.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’m in the south east and aside from a brief couple of weeks in March when the ground was slightly moist to the touch, it’s been bogville right up until the beginning of September when it dried out for a while.

It’s now back to being bogville again and I expect it to stay this way until at least April.

Summer sucks.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

I am highly disappointed that you don’t have panniers. And beards. 😀

Joking aside, my other half is getting into cycling more and more, so maybe it’d be really good for us to tag along. What kind of range of experience/expertise tends to turn up?

jsinglet

There are some beards, but as there are singlespeeds that is to be expected 🙂

There is a full range of experience, though it can depend on exactly who turns up. There are some who are Strava addicts, and some who are just happy to have a nice ride in the countryside. Last night we probably did about 17 miles to the pub in about 2 hrs ish on our ‘fast’ ride, the other ride a bit less. Sunday would probably be a bit over 20 to lunch at this time of year. We stay off road as much we can so it’s all a bit approximate.

Once a month there is a shorter ride on a Sunday that is quite a good introduction, I imagine you’d fine that too short but might be good for your other half if she’s unsure? The rides are listed here.

Rio

Just got back from a largely sunny ride in the Chilterns and it’s not at all boggy yet. Not as good as last Saturday when the trails were still dusty but pretty good. Normally it doesn’t get really bad until after the trees drop their leaves and stop soaking up the surface water.

Trimix
    Free Member

I ride the Chilterns almost all year – in the winter you have to be very careful where you ride. There are some bits that are OK, some I avoid. Less used cheeky stuff thats not destroyed by horses is not too bad and avoid valley bottoms.

You just need local knowledge, but even then, chalk and roots are entertaining in the wet.

Woburn is fine even for XC, all year round.

johnny

Damn, I’ve just shaved off my (paltry) beard. I have a singlespeed though… 🙂

ampthill

Yeh I might go have a spin round Woburn. Is there enough there for the XC types among us? My wheels arent leaving the ground thanks vm.

yes plenty.Carry £3 for the permit man

Its a complex place so a local guide is handy. 2 hours non stop easy probably more. Even more if you add local bridleways and say take in Rushmere as well.

Sadly I’m off the bike with a frozen shoulder but I’m sure some one will show you round

Oh forgot to say its ace. In some ways at its best during or after a horendous down pour as it stays fast and gets quite drifty

mcboo
    Free Member

Thanks…..anyone have a Garmin route for a long spin around Woburn and the surrounding area that takes in the best bits? Something 40-50km be ideal.

Blurboy
    Free Member

mcboo – check out Everytrail web site – google for Woburn on there and you should be able to find a gpx file or two.

teasel
    Free Member

anyone have a Garmin route for a long spin around Woburn

I believe Nobby’s your man…

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Chilterns – is it mud 'till springtime now?’ is closed to new replies.