Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Chili growers
  • CheesybeanZ

First flowers just opened on my Scotch bonnet plants 😀
    Hows yours doing ?

JackHammer

I had 9 down to the last 1 (all died), just transplanted it into its own pot and now it too is withering.

🙁

kraftyone
    Free Member

Mine seem a bit late to get going this year… luckily I still have a good stash of scotchies in the freezer from last year so I won’t be suffering withdrawals any time soon!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sootyandjim
    Free Member

I had five plants, two are still going strong in the greenhouse, alongside the coriander, Thai Basil, cherry tomatoes and courgettes (although the latter are going outside soon).

z1ppy

bought some apache (an old reliable strain) late and they’re just filling out there pot’s, after my previous two years disastrously mild scotch bonnets and ‘not a’ ring of fire…

swanny853

First timer here- I have no idea what they are, they were a present from my sister. They are getting pretty tall and seem to have some things that aren’t leaves forming, that’s about all I can tell!

I’m waiting for the gooseberry bushes in my folks garden to fruit so I can pinch some for vodka.

I’m not sure which I’m keener on!

mogrim

No flowers yet, and not sure exactly what plants I’ve got – planted loads of different types but forgot to label them properly 😆

Hopefully should be some scotch bonnet, jalapeños, habaneros, ghosts, ladyfinger and others.

Cougar

Oh, blast, I forgot about mine. Is it too late to be planting seeds?

z1ppy

….err I forgot to plant seeds in february, so I’d suggest maybe it a tad late.. get down to B&Q and just buy some they’ve started for you..

steve-g
    Free Member

This is my first year of having a greenhouse so I have taken the opportunity to get some going. I bought a fair few different types of chilli, then kept the seeds from them, sprinkled them onto a cut open bag of compost from the pound shop and within a week or 2 they were big enough to be potted on. I currently have 45 pots, each with 2 or 3 plants in, so maybe 100 individual plants but I was late to the party and they are all under 2 inches still.

Come September I plan to dry some, then also make my own sweet chilli, sriracha, and peri peri type sauces. Anyone one else here have any good chilli conserve type recipes?

z1ppy

I’ve been making & consuming far too quickly Hugh’s Chilli Jam recipe (bottom ofthe page)

chrisdw
    Free Member

I planted some too late last year. They are now pretty big. But no flowers. Nothing.

Do they not do well on their 2nd year?

kcal

bit late planting this year means they’re still in small pots, about 3-4″ high, no flowers, not even close.

Used to get massive plants and crops in kitchen window in flt – these days they’re in a greenhouse which is out of the way, but not so warm over the day (well, roasting in day and cooler at night). Didn’t think last year had done that well, but still got trays of dried chillis from 2015 so guess crop was OK really!!

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Trying to get some padron peppers going. Planted a few seeds but none of ’em came up, so bought some plug plants.

At the present rate of growth I’ll be having one tapas-sized serving in autumn 2019.

mogrim

Do they not do well on their 2nd year?

Definitely, IME better than the first.

rocketman
    Free Member

Mostly OK

Some are like alpha male chillis and are squaring up to the tomatoes come on then
    Some are thinking about growing
    Some have died
    Some never got started

Over wintered some they made it to March then died 🙄

Rio

Mrs R planted some seeds but they’ve only just started to grow, so yesterday we bought some from the garden centre that had already started. Probably should have planted them indoors rather than the greenhouse.

stevied
    Free Member

My £3 supermarket ‘jalepeno’ plant is doing really well. Had about 20 fruit so far and at least that again growing nicely.
    Just potted it into a bigger pot as it was getting pot-bound.

HansRey

I had 3plants until recently. A 2 year old naga morich, a 2month old black rocoto and a four year old unknown. Got something like 50 fruit between March and May this year, before giving the plants away.

Not bad for Finland!

What grows well in the UK, indoors? I’m planning to plant some when I repatriate next month

giantalkali
    Free Member

My Prarie Fires are currently 4″ of fiery mayhem, though yet to flower or bear fruit.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I’ve struggled with chillis the past couple of years in darkest yorkshire. Not really got a good windowsill (narrow recessed windows, not many hours of light despite facing south). They are about 2″ tall right now. So I’m planning on overwintering them. AIUI they are really perennials, no need to start from scratch every year.

andytherocketeer

Mine are well slow this year

Lemon Drop is 18inches tall and just growing some bits where flowers will be

Prairie Fire is 3 inches tall and only leaves

Orange Habanero the same

Cayenne started those well late and they are about the same too

Will order a completely fresh set of seeds for next year (mine were all 2014 harvest).

Friend in the US must be almost ready to harvest some habs.

sirromj

Not entirely sure what any of mine are doing. They’re residing in the greenhouse of the OH’s Dad and I’ve kinda lost interest. A basement flat is useless place to reside for growing chillis 🙁 Hopefully that will change within the next few years.

CheesybeanZ

. Is it too late to be planting seeds?

Plenty of young plants in our local nurseries .

CheesybeanZ

Finally getting some fruit forming seems to have taken ages , 25/30 chillies over 3 plants .

chrisdw
    Free Member

Ive got flowers, quite a lot of them!
    No fruits as of yet though!

A friend mentioned it helps to manually pollinate with a cottonbud. Is that necessary? or not worth the effort?

CheesybeanZ

I put mine out in the garden amongst the flowers during during sunny /hot the days and back in the greenhouse at night .
    Bit of faff but might bee worth it 🙂

chorlton
    Free Member

I’ll have to ask what my Thai neighbour grows. She made me a superb Thai green chili one evening garnished with a small red chilli.
    Which I sampled.

“Mmm, not too fiery.

Oo yeah it’s pretty hot.

JESUS CHRIST

[gosh, I said a naughty word]”

Spent the next 10 minutes with my mouth under the tap.

It was quite hot. 🙂

CheesybeanZ

^^^ probably birds eye .

curvature
    Free Member

I bought a living plant from Waitrose for £3 or something close to that.

It doesn’t say what variety but they are bloody hot! Picking chillies for over 2 months and now the plant has flowered again with more to come. Just sat on my kitchen window cill which is north facing.

I have two plants outside that are half the size and coming on but nothing like the Waitrose one.

mooman
    Free Member

The banana chilli plants doing very good; lots of big chillis on them.
    The komoda dragon, and jalepeno chilli plants flowering and fruit starting to set on them.
    The bhut jolokia ghost chili was started late – so no flowers yet.

mildbore

I’ve got half a dozen plants, 3 from last year. They all seem to be doing well, setting fruit and growing. Last year’s plants were definitely quicker off the mark though this year’s plants are set now, including a scotch bonnet. Oh, I live in the Midlands and it’s been grey and wet so I’m quite surprised that they’re doing ok

M6TTF
    Free Member

All plants well behind due to epically shite summer – chocolate habanero flowered but they haven’t fruited. Pi seed off. Got a few peppers on ready bought plants

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Hard pruned mine about a month ago. Winter on Oz innit. Great crop from all of mine. Even the butch t scorpion and butch t cardi. Freezer full.

Xylene
    Free Member

^ I’ve had no luck with mine – bought 100s of scorpion and something else, and none grew – I gave them to my gardeners so it wasn’t even me who stuffed up.

The birds eye ones are known as kee nok – rat shit.

CheesybeanZ

After months of waiting for a crop of homegrown Scotch bonnets all I get is a mild at best non Scotch bonnet disappointment #### and bollox . 👿

onandon
    Free Member

As some ones has mentioned. I also have one of the Waitrose plants. Not sure of the chilli but they’re pretty hot and the plant just keeps giving. Just had another bunch of flowers so more to come soon.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Chili growers’ is closed to new replies.