Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Chile – the country anyone been? Advice please.
  • vondally
    Free Member

So following our 3 weeks in Japan last Nov we are looking for the next destination New Zealand was top of the list but Chile has been added as another option.

Adored Japan for culture, experience, history, art, being off the beaten western tourist track, the travel especially by all though as veggie struggled. Stayed hostels, b and b and hotels.

We would like the next destination to be similiar.

It would be a 3 week trip max, 2 people. No bikes would be taken I do not think, both are outdoors orientated but want to get some culture, art and history plus mountains and beaches this time.

What is a good itinerary/ suggestions please.

Best way to get around and were to stay ?

Thinking late this year Sept onwards is that any good.

All help welcome
    Cheers

tjagain

I was there 20 years ago. Gret country but 3 weeks is hardly long enough. Sept onwards is good for heading south into patagoinia which is stunning but travelling around is slow. Atacama in the north is prwetty special as well with the geoglyphs and stuff.

Long distance buses were the main option when I was there – 24 hours from Santiago to the north, more to the south as you either need to go on a boat or into argentina

Stunning place – I intend to go back

johnny

I was there over New Year- family connections. It’s a great place to visit in terms of the outdoors, very diverse scenery and unique ecosystems. It’s also got good infrastructure and it’s relatively cheap- probably way cheaper than Japan!

Culturally it will be a lot less distinct than Japan. If you’re into the archaeology, Peru and Bolivia are the bits of South America to head for. However, with 3 weeks you could have a great trip from Santiago, down to Viña del Mar, Valparaíso, then onto Pucón, Puerto Montt and Chiloé, with a trip down to Torres Del Paine, etc for some proper trekking. Lots of good outdoor stuff, and you can see modern Chilean life and some of the indigenous culture in the south. It’s a good place for riding too, there’s some great riding around Santiago, more near Valparaiso, Nevados de Chillan has a great bike park not far from Pucón and the first round of the EWS was held near there too.

September is the Spring, New year is proper summertime, and it’ll be hot by then, but the best time to head south. Just don’t overdo it with the pisco…

A good way is to work your way south, boat to the bottom and come back up on the Argie side, but this would need more time… Argentina is a bit different and requires patience. They are slowly sorting its economy out and has a load of protectionist import taxes which mean they will inspect your bags to death, and any imported goods are markedly more expensive than in Chile. It’s great though, people are much more outgoing than the Chileans, who can be a bit stiff.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dooosuk
    Free Member

We had our honeymoon there 5 years ago.

Spent 3 weeks moving around. 5 days in Patagonia walking Torres Del Paine, then flew up to the Lake District for 4 days, then a few days in Valparaiso, few days in vineyards, some time in La Serena and Vicuna and Pisco Elqui valley and finally three or four days in Santiago before flying home.

Loved it but there was so much more to see.

vondally
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies…

Jonny one of the wonderful things of Japan were the people who were really brill, incredibly helpful especially the young people.
    We would lookin Oct Nov time….. Doosuk sounds a good trip iteniary.

We as vegetarian struggled in Japan so what is Chile like for Non carnivorous folk?

scuttler

Easter Island is in Chile sort of.

Pigface
    Free Member

The Atacama desert is mind boggling, Santiago has a lot of interesting places, try and see a football match for crazy crowds, Colo Colo against Universidad de Chile was an experience.

When I was there I was with friends who lived there so no idea about hotels or hostels.

mefty
    Free Member

I went for two weeks and we spent a night in Santiago, should have been longer but our flight was delayed overnight, so didn’t really see it. Then flew down to Puenta Arenas to go to Puerto Natales and onto Patagonia, where we did a series of hikes – but you can do the classic circuit – Patagonia was fantastic. We then went to the Lakes (based in Puerta Varas to begin with) for a few days, which was very enjoyable but not as breathtaking as Patagonia. If we would have had more time we would have gone to the Atacama (I think this would have been more spectacular than the lakes, so I would prioritize there but with three weeks you might be able to squeeze all 3 in)

No idea about food, but can’t imagine it is easy. If not great you can drown your sorrows in beer and wine which are both fantastic – there is a big German community particularly in the Lakes.

When you fly internally sit on the left going South and the right when going North, the views of the Andes are spectacular.

The Chileans tell one of the my favourite non PC jokes – apologies to Ernie in advance

“if you want to get rich, buy an Argentinian for what he is worth and sell him for what he thinks he is worth.”

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Spent 4-5 weeks in Argentina and chile ten years ago , gutted, were has that time gone.

Buenos Aires is great, then overnight bus to bariloche (lake district) 23 hours semi carma (business class was £22)
    Spent a few days mountain bike and horse ride day, stopped another town saint in the name then crossed into chile and stopped at pucon, and climbed the volcano, really cool place, a big house backpackers with hammocks and friendly dogs.

Bus down to pueta montt for a night, then flew to Puerto Natalas (an American with a penchant for vhs video tapes has a hostel) Torres del pain and back into Argentina to el calafate, were you have easy access to Moreno glacier (went midday and late afternoon another day, just awesome) can also ice hike on it..
    Then overnighted in punta arenas (strange town) then flew up to Santiago , overnighted then long bus ride to Mendoza a few days and then back to Buenos Aires, with a side trip to Montevideo ,
    Time ran out for Iguazu falls

Probably my best backpacker trip ever done, met the friendliest people and amazing experience, and cheap steak,
    Food wise it’s steak or steak, and I ended up dreaming off killer cows

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Chile – the country anyone been? Advice please.’ is closed to new replies.