Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Childseat + Fixed Gear/ Single Speed/Alfine
  • woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

The sun is shining and the small person is allowed again (by the wife) to be transpoorted on the back of the bike.

At the moment this means leaving the fixie and using my Charge Filter with flat bars.

I hate gears. (on the road at least).

I live in Lowestoft, it’s flat. I need 1-3 gears at most.

I realised today that I really dislike the constant changing of gears. I’m thinking do I:
    a) put the child seat on the fixie (genies flyer with poor caliper brakes)
    b) try a singlespeed bike with some decent discs/cantis
    c) try something like a genesis day one with an Alfine hub.

I’m not sure about the alfine hub. Never really used hub gears, but I guess they could be more “efficient” than deraileurs.

My obvious principle factor is safety of the small person. All my reproductive efforts are in one Hamex childseat. But I want to enjoy the bike ride (even more than the joy one gets from a bike ride with the samll person gets).

What do other dads/mums suggest?

Garry_Lager

Did have a child seat on the fixed gear for a bit and it felt pretty safe – flat riding and a decent front mini-v brake was fine for the nursery run. Wouldn’t use one like this anywhere hilly.

The gear was way too big for recreational riding with the missus and kids, though – it was only ok because it was a short run and I would ride dead slow with my other kid riding his bike. Then cane it into work. Think you’d need to fit a modest ratio to enjoy taking the fixie out for a more extended bimble with the child seat / other half.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Childseat + Fixed Gear/ Single Speed/Alfine’ is closed to new replies.