Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Childs bike headset numpty question
  • johnj2000
    Free Member

The boys bike has developed play in the headset area, vast amounts of grease and random tightening has not fixed it. I am thinking new bearings but don’t know what to buy and need them quickly. He has a trial session at a club in sat so need to get it sorted. The spec is GWH A-Headset and it has those type of bearings that are open rather than what I would class as a trad closed bearing. What do I need?

wiggles
    Free Member

Just replace the whole headset with one that used sealed bearings.

johnj2000
    Free Member

Ok wiggles, sounds sensible but are all headsets equal with regards to size and fit? So if I just bought a mountain bike headset from crc would it fit? Sorry, I know it sounds stupid, I have built two bikes but work by knowing the exact parts required for those bikes. Googling GWH A-Headset is not yielding the same results as I would get for ‘headset for cotic rocket’

wiggles
    Free Member

No you need to measure the head tube internal diameter (which means getting the old one out first) it is probably just a standard old style one but that is just a guess. I would advise getting a LBS to do it as they will have the proper tools to fit and remove and are likely to have the headset in stock.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Childs bike headset numpty question’ is closed to new replies.