Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Childrensbedtrackworld
  • orangespyderman

My son’s bed has broken. He’s 3 and half years old, but the bed is old, and no replacement parts are available from the supplier. I could try and DIY but it’ll end up looking shite. I have a couple of questions :

1) Any recommendations for good kid’s beds that’ll last a while. We don’t want racing car or fire engine beds, just a nice bed.

2) We’ve been looking at the Ikea Kura bed. It says it should only be used with the bed at the top for children over 6 years old*. Is this legal mumbo-jumbo or should I really be careful? He hasn’t fallen out of his (currently very low) bed for ages. I guess it’d only take once, but I’m not convinced. Does this make me a bad parent? Anyone else done the same so I can feel better about myself?

*EDIT : this may only be a French thing. It says it on the French site not on the UK one as far as I can see. Clearly British kids are better in lots of ways.

garage-dweller

Ours have been in normal beds since leaving their cots.

My eldest had a lower than normal bed made for him by his grandad.

The other got a basic pine job at the lower end of normal bed height.

In both cases we put a couple of bean bags near the head and used a bed rail until they started using it as a climbing frame.

Your children’s bed plummeting and head injuries may vary.

I wouldn’t be that keen on top bunks or cabin beds until they’re a little older than yours but that’s a very personal thing. Our eldest probably first used a top bunk at about 5 or 6 and he was fine but he’s never been a plummeter.

martinhutch

That Ikea one can be turned upside down in about five minutes to keep it low until he’s a bit older.

orangespyderman

That Ikea one can be turned upside down in about five minutes to keep it low until he’s a bit older.

Thanks – I had been planning on doing that. But he saw a photo of it in the high position and clearly won’t be happy until he’s flinging himself off it 😐 He’s pretty athletic, and comfortable climbing around (has been going to baby gym since he could walk), but I guess there’s a difference between that and tossing and turning during the night or trying to get up in the middle of the night to throw up do something important.

I guess I should be a little more careful and talk to him and explain it’ll be in the low position for a while…

bikerdan
    Free Member

Our 3 year old is in an Ikea Kura. Originally had it low but now have it high. No falling out issues (yet). We now have these shelves that she climbs up to get into bed.

spot
    Free Member

pillow on the opposite side of the ladder and he’ll be fine

kura is not that high anyway

theotherjonv

I’d far rather have it low, with drapes and other stuff over it to make it a bed-den!!

(you’ve got to sell the advantages!!)

Trustyrusty
    Free Member

After having to clean the space between the wall 3 times in 1 night, I would advise the low level at least for smaller children who might* struggle to rush to the bathroom when poorly…

*so, so much vomit from such a small child….never again!!

v8ninety

Kura in our household, our 6 year old has been in it since about 3, I think. Always been high setting, she’s a very capable climber and bounces well too.

SaxonRider

Had the Kura in my house too. Found age wasn’t an issue in any way, and the boy loved it!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Childrensbedtrackworld’ is closed to new replies.