Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Children's rugby – scrum caps or not?
  • lister

Next season my son leaves Tag rugby behind and moves into U9 ‘contact’ games. There’s no rucking etc, 1 tackler to 1 ball carrier then tackled player is allowed to place the ball for the scrum half. Think more league than union at this age.
    The talk on the touchline is who is going to let/make/suggest scrum caps for their kids in the autumn.

Just interested to know what people who have been through this ended up doing.
    I’m wavering between pros and cons at the moment.
    Obviously the cap ‘could’ help dissapate a whack on the head and prevent some pain and bruising but it’s not like it’s a hard crash lid that can really protect the skull and brain from damage.
    However, the tackling is controlled and I don’t recall any big problems or injuries when I played as a boy…but caps didn’t exist then anyway!

The whole head injury thing has become more talked about in recent years and this season it’s all been going off with George North, Mike Brown etc etc.

Is some protection better than none, or will it help hide poor technique in the tackle and make things worse in the future.

Interested to see what people think, cheers.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Protects the ears too, so my kids would be wearing them if they played.

ton

i am in the no camp.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’d say no.
    Along with armour on a bike, there’s a massive amount to be said for learning to do it properly, rather than having some sort of trust in padding to save you from a mistake. As you say, at that age group, it’s very controlled and largely safe.

Scrum caps are more for abrasion than any “real” knocks, IMHO.

FWIW, I always played with my ears taped (From the age of about 11 or 12, anyway. Full contact rugby from 8 onwards) and never had a concussion, nor any cauliflower action. Also, I’ve never had a black eye in my life, rugby or otherwise!

lister

No scrums yet though, ears ripping off or cauliflowering up is probably more of a risk in a few years…good point though.

matt_outandabout

Really torn on this – rugby is the most dangerous game per hour of activity that any of our kids will do. Way more so than mountain biking….a scrum cap seems not a bad idea. But then I also like the kids to learn and have healthy awareness of the risks.

So I am no help….

lister

I’m tending no as well but…there is still doubt there. I wonder if there is any real data on the effectiveness of scrum caps for protecting for different types of impact…

JEngledow
    Free Member

In my opinion the only players that should wear scrum caps are locks (anyone else is just dressing up).

On a more serious note I don’t think a scrum cap would make much difference as I suspect most injuries will involve collarbones, arms, legs etc.

lister

And, as Matt says, it is potentially a dangerous game but both my kids really enjoy it, and at this age it’s great for their confidence, fitness, agility, hand-eye coordination etc etc

It’s more a problem when they’re all 16 stone sprinters decking each other for 80 minutes!

simmy
    Free Member

I’ve just seen a young lad on a BMX wearing a scrum cap……

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I wonder if there is any real data on the effectiveness of scrum caps for protecting for different types of impact…

😉

If you really think that a 3-6mm bit of neoprene or similar is going to protect against serious head injuries, I suspect you’re wrong!

VPD or 3DO type stuff is great for knees and elbows, as it protects against an impact where the shaking effect is immaterial. In head injuries, especially concussion, I suspect a scrum cap would make next to no difference at all.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Most common rugby injury is an ankle sprain followed by separated shoulder.

Robz
    Free Member

Do a quick Google Scholar search.

I know there has been a lot of research on this of late but I am not familiar with the concencus. Last time I read something in this they were suggesting that caps can lead to a false sense of security and encourage peoe to take risks that they otherwise wouldn’t do.

What is the national governing body currently recommend.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

lister

Can’t find anything on the WRU website with regard to a scrumcap policy, just guidance to be aware of concussion and what to do…

pedlad

I’m an assistant coach for my sons under ten team. Quite a lot of boys turned up with scrum caps for the start of tackling at the u9 stage but most soon got rid as they were just too hot most of the time. To be honest the tackling is pretty tame on the whole for the first half of this year and the most important thing is to teach good technique – get low with the head to the side (cheek to cheek) – as an aside I reeally dislike the professional level tackling as its all an attempt to prevent the offload so far too upright to be safe for young players to copy.

Tackliing at this age is all about mental attitude and technique and I’ve not seen any evidence for scrum caps are encouraging reckless tackling. So I would say if it makes you feel better and your boy can take the heat then go for it….but as others have said probably more use in stopping abrasions (they are rucking at U10s) than stopping a concussion injury.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

an attempt to prevent the offload so far too upright to be safe for young players to copy.

Amen, brother!

I’d happily see the “choke tackle” ruling drummed out of the game. It’s dull as dishwater and kills the game. Also, it leads to silly tackles, such as Sexton on Bastareaud this year. 1/2p also needs to look closely at his technique, IMHO.

lister

Cheers pedlad (and the rest). Good point on the heat thing, my lad is in shorts in January so he’ll def feel hot in one.

Still leaning towards no…

Stoner
    Free Member

Lister – Im in the same spot as you. I am lead coach U8 tag at Ledbury RFC and my son is going up to U9 contact next season. I wont be going up with him and coaching the contact game though – I’m dropping back down to start again with Jr#2.

I’m in the no cap camp, BUT, nearly all of this years 9s are wearing them. The 8s (rising 9s) havent yet worked it out, theyre still absorbed in their own tag game, but once the first kid turns up with a cap, I expect the following weekend most of the rest will have nagged their folks to get one as well. I intend to stand fast and have Jr#1 go without for now.

It’s a highly controlled contact game at 9s. Later on, caps will be a serious possibility. But for now, I think they are a distraction and I want the emphasis to be on the safe tackle techniques for now, rather than protection.

pedlad

A top club and a small world stoner …. 🙂

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Scrum cap – no
    Mouthguard – yes, for sure
    Armour – no
    Teaching how to tackle properly – yes

Would be my view, but each to their own.

Stoner
    Free Member

indeedy 🙂

timidwheeler
    Free Member

I think they are excellent for preventing cauliflower ears. This is potentially quite an important consideration for a young lad’s employability in the future (I know it shouldn’t be an issue, but appearance can be important). If he is ever likely to join the pack then I suggest there is no harm getting him used to playing in a cap early and before it becomes a self-conscious issue.

whytetrash

my lad is 11 and been wearing one for two years…had a few clashes of heads in games I feel it helps also seen a few knees to heads and big tackles pounding lads into the ground so I’m happier…..he hates it and his gumshield though 🙁

talltom
    Free Member

I coach u12’s and have seen the rise and fall. There’s only two or three who wear them in our squad. I have made it clear to our parents that they do nothing but stop minor cuts and abrasions from clashes. My lad only wore one to keep his hair out of eyes as he wouldn’t cut it!. I do insist on gum shields and dislike body armour.
    Plus 1 for correct tackle technique.

gavinpearce
    Free Member

My lad has been playing u9 contact at school this year. Half the kids wear caps. Almost all wear the padded vests. I’m neither for or against but I think the vests help with the impacts as their technique not always outstanding! I read ‘controlled’. I see very physical – 3 punch ups this year or rather bout of fisticuffs. Some of the boys are very physical and some are unbelievably big for their age. I would probably say let him wear what he wants so he feels happy playing. If you played would you wear armour and a scrum cap!? I would.

jag61

Both girls at home play U15 and senior, older one tried under armour and scrum cap didnt like either but does wear scrum cap some games if in front row not if playing flanker, taken a few knocks to head but ok,currently out with ankle tear has had neck/shoulder injury with x rays etc, found extra rib :o. So FWIW I prefer them in scrum caps but would not have prevented this seasons injuries. high tackles and smother tackles OTOH. really scary

wors

Blimey, we should all swap coaching notes!! I coach under 9s too, most of the lads wear them. I think it gives them a bit more confidence going in for the tackle if nothing else.

mefty
    Free Member

but caps didn’t exist then anyway!

Considering my father wore one in the 1940s I think this is unlikely.

toemul
    Free Member

Not sure I agree with timidwheeler.

toemul
    Free Member

What does a cauliflower ear say to a prospective employer?

cbike
    Free Member

Alzhiemers at age of 35 or 40 would put me off any sport like this. Even includes heading footballs. From ONE head Injury never mind repeated.

duckman

Caps are debatable at that age. Tape for ears as junior goes up age grades. The big no-no is shoulder padding, kids should learn to tackle using their bodies. As for gloves…grrr.

nickhart
    Free Member

Great thread, one of the most interesting here for a long while. My daughter is playing u11 and wears a scrum cap, mostly to keep her hair in place. The protection it offers is minimal but it’s safer than her having a pony tail.
    Love the comments about halfpenny, brave but foolish. And the choke tackle, having spent Easter being beaten to a pulp by my seventeen year old nephew, sixteen stone and six eight I wish he’d never learned it!
    As for what does a cauli ear say to an employer, depends on the employer. My old boss had two cauli ears and if you played for the right team you got part way through the interview talking about rugby!
    I love the game and my daughter enjoys it immensely, the best thing is the respect the players show each other and the ref. yes it’s hard and dangerous but it’s honest and honourable.

MrNice
    Free Member

what does a cauliflower ear say to an employer? probably just that you’re a keen sportsman/woman who might occasionally have a sports injury but is generally healthier than couch potatoes

turning up with cuts all over your knuckles and wondering if you should explain it’s from climbing on grit and not from fighting isn’t a great situation (and talking about “fist jams” would probably only make it worse)

ernie67

My son’s played league since he was 7 & it’s been full contact from day one .
    Most of the lads seem to wear one at that age , but most get rid as their confidence grows & then never go back . I’ve seen lots of clashes of heads over the years with cuts & bruises that could have been avoided , but it’s each to their own really .
    I’d say get one & see how it goes ,they’re not too expensive nowerdays .
    My son still wears his – tried it without , but he said it just felt weird without it & so always wears one ( u15’s now ).

sv

Over here (Ulster) we start full contact/rucking at U8s and my oldest has worn a skull cap since then. Doubt it will help with big impacts but is good for the knocks/abrasion that go on. My next youngest is U6 and playing touch rugby, he wears one too but they seem to take the touch on the hips to mean tackling 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

In my opinion the only players that should wear scrum caps are locks (anyone else is just dressing up).

Partly agree with this – however, being a “lock” doesn’t apply to kids’ rugby, particularly at mini level.
    However, maybe “dressing up” and being comfortable does. Nothing wrong with a kid wearing a scrum cap if it makes him feel more like a rugby player.
    It’s up to the kids in our squads. Some wear them, some don’t. My lad wore one for the first few seasons, now doesn’t unless it’s really cold!
    They certainly aren’t designed to prevent head injuries or concussion.
    They won’t get cauli ears in minis either.

Here’s a typical Sunday scene from our U12s. About half and half cap wearers and non. Ball carrier here is one of our best players, would make no difference either way to his play wearing it or not, but he likes wearing it..

OP should let his son choose.

Coyote
    Free Member

My lad plays on the wing for the local U11 Rugby League side. As one of the smallest, he wore light body armour to start with which gave him a bit of confidence. He dropped that as it makes him feel restricted. He also wore a scrum cap for a couple of games when he was in the U8 team but dropped that as he didn’t like it.

He now wears no protection at all, will be getting a gum shield but that’s it. It’s down the the individual. As others have said, protection is minimal anyway. The most important thing is he enjoys playing.

ernie67

The most important thing is he enjoys playing.

This

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Children's rugby – scrum caps or not?’ is closed to new replies.