Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Children & Your Music Collection – When To Start Censoring It ?
  • Sundayjumper

The PS4 thread reminded me about dubious parenting choices 🙂

I was cooking at the weekend and had my iPod on shuffle in the kitchen, as I often do. My wife suggested I shouldn’t have that kind of music [1] playing when my daughter is around. She’s 2¾. She doesn’t understand most of the words in the songs and doesn’t repeat them but it’s only a matter of time before she starts asking what they mean and/or using them at nursery. And we’d rather avoid that.

So I think I need to start making family friendly playlists and sticking to those when The Child is around. And put most of my CDs & DVDs in a sealed box in the loft until she’s eighteen.

[1] on this occasion it was Asian Hooker by Steel Panther

thomthumb
    Free Member

Steel Panther

needs turning off. so that ones easy. 8)

fasthaggis

needs turning off. so that ones easy

Yup,I feel sorry for her having to hear that (at any age) 😛

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    freeagent
    Free Member

Asian Hooker by Steel Panther

You are Donald Trump and I claim my £5.

prawny

I got caught out by play music at the weekend. Eldest’s (8) ipod was playing up, so I told him to use play music instead because he can pick anything then.

His music taste is different to mine, and he wanted me to get him a copy of X Gon Give it to Ya by DMX. I found him a nice radio friendly copy, and uploaded it.

He said to me later on, there are more words in this version than the other one you got dad. Oh dear, I forgot it matched some tracks instead of straight uploading them all.

theotherjonv

I don’t bother with ours, they hear that shit often enough at school. I occasionally cough loudly over some words but that’s more for comedy effect than anything.

“Don’t wanna be an American idiot
    Don’t want a nation under the new media
    And can you hear the sound of hysteria?
    The subliminal mind-{COUGH} America”

Wife did skip over a Lily Allen track about the BF that’s not very good in bed though.

MoreCashThanDash

To be fair, no one is old enough to listen to Steel Panther lyrics. I’d never heard of them till I saw them live 2-3 years ago. Was an eye-opening evening, I can tell you.

It’s so rare that I get to listen to my own music when the kids are around, it isn’t an issue. Half of their stuff (aged 13 and 10) seems to require a radio edit anyway…

DezB
    Free Member

My kid likes grime. Most of it is quite tame to some of the stuff he hears in my car off my iPod though (not heavy metal shite, I should add) 😆

prawny

We do the obvious cough in the car on occasion.

We made the decision to teach the kid all the standard swears. That way they know not to copy other kids.

I don’t agree with this

Harry_the_Spider

My 9 year old likes the Sisters of Mercy, the 7 year old is a fan of Noel Gallagher.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Reminds me of the halcyon days when I used to go out with my nieces in the car (six and three) respectively, singing along to punk compilation albums.

“One, two, three, four, Gordon is a Mor-on!”

perchypanther
    Free Member

Steel Panther

Sounds like my kind of thing. I shall check it out!

jeff

Just do this : Help tha police but steel panther is another level…

We have a similar problem – we have just got an Echo Dot – the kids can ask it _anything_….

stevie750

I can’t cough enough to be able to play anything by the dwarves in front of the kids

ads678

My sister was living in France until recently and they don’t sensor the English songs over there, so their kids got to know all the swear words very quickly!!

I adopt the swear cow in the car, the kids have cottoned on to why dad just randomly moo’s every now and again in the car. They find it funny now though so it seems to have stuck….

Sundayjumper

PP – if you like hair metal and sexual innuendo (and often flat-out offensive filth, tbh) then you will enjoy Steel Panther quite a lot 😀

funkmasterp

My son, two and a half, loves SOB by Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats and asks for it constantly by pointing at the speaker and dancing. We just shout gibberish over the beginning of the chorus. He also loves Clutch, Neil Young and Ugly Duckling. Proudest Dad ever 🙂

keefmac

daughter is fourteen, we tell her to ignore the swearwords. Im sure she hears worse in school but she isnt allowed to swear in front of us. her birthday present this year was to see Bring me the Horizon in concert. When the lead singer asked everyone to put their middle fingers up she looked at me for permission first, totally rock and roll 🙂

that said it’ll be a long time before the wu tang clan and nwa cds come out of the loft

adjustablewench
    Free Member

My two youngest probably heard way to much having older siblings as well as our music, the older two are now 27 and 23 and the younger two are 13 and 11, i dont think they have been affected by music in the same way they are by other types of media.

The two youngest caught a bit of the nick cave set at glastonbury 2011 (ages 8 and 6) which just got the reaction of raised eyebrows and concetration as the tried to decipher what he was actually singing about!

I think the content of games has much more impact on children as they become so engrossed in them.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Children & Your Music Collection – When To Start Censoring It ?’ is closed to new replies.