Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Children leaving home
  • SaxonRider

My eldest has just moved out today, taking a flat in London. I’ve got a few left at home, but I really am going to miss having him around.

I guess it’s just that time. 🙁

wwaswas

My boy started Uni today. He’s staying at home and going to the local one but it felt like another big life step (to me, if not him).

ads678

I’ve got a good few years left, but if the last few are anything to go by, they’ll be gone by in a flash. Not looking forward to it, although it must make you proud as well.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Our son keeps talking about getting a flat with one of his pals. We’ve only got the one child, he’s 19, he’ll be sorely missed round the house when he goes. Obviously there are times when he can be a pain in the arse, but he’s a nice person and a great character.

SaxonRider

Yes, Gary_M. I have always got along with mine, but you really do realise how decent they are when they start making noise about leaving.

maccruiskeen

but you really do realise how decent they are when they start making noise about leaving.

Consider it a blessing of sorts… My cousin has only just left home and he’s in his 50s 😆

bikebouy
    Free Member

He’ll be back soon enough, if nothing else other than to do the washing, or eat your fridge..

surfer
    Free Member

A thread on this ages ago. Mine are 20 and 18, both at home although my son wants to go to Uni next year (he’s the youngest) and my daughter wants to leave her job to do a job related 2 yr Uni course away from home next September. If I hear “she’s leaving home” by the Beatles I am a mess 🙁

Sandwich

Surfer, Slipping Through My Fingers was the one for me when Ms Sandwich left home. I am apparently very ‘soppy’ according to Mrs S who is Ulster Protestant/Presbyterian (apparently no soul/emotions to speak of).

wwaswas

I’ll be ok as long as I don’t watch Toy Story 3.

probably.

andy4d

I can happily give you one of my angels if you want…. 👿

flanagaj
    Free Member

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Just been told to MTFU after reading this thread and telling Mrs MCPH how sad all this business is.

It may have something to do with our eldest only being 4!

GrahamS

It may have something to do with our eldest only being 4!

Mine is 6.

Leaving home seems an eternity away until I realise that we are probably a third of the way there already and the last six years went by in a blink.

😕

SaxonRider

When my eldest was 4, he got out of bed and came to us crying downstairs, asking ‘Do I have to go away one day? I don’t want to leave home, and leave my family!’

Now he lives in London, and we live in Cardiff. And the episode I just told you about feels like it only happened yesterday.

richmars

We’re all getting soft.
    A few generations ago my son would be leaving home to go to war. Now he’s just gone 2 hours up the motorway to university, but it’s still a huge change and we’ll miss him massively.
    Must MTFU.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Always a big shift when the first born goes, we all know the day will come but it can still be a wrench.

I was accused of being too tough when eldest left for Uni as I moved all her stuff to smallest nedroom amd installed youngest there. It was a responce to the youngest saying she always got the smallest room but some didn’t see it that way 😐

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Daughter just gone to uni teacher training, her twin brother works so many hours i hardly see him. It’s tough but they are both happy so I’m happy, well that’s the official line.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

+1 richmars

zanelad
    Free Member

Mrs Z and I have had the house to ourselves for 7 years now. It’s heaven. We can do as we please. Go to the pub if we wish. Slob out for the weekend with no-one to worry about or answer to. Sleep in one of the spare rooms if the other is having a restless night.

We love them dearly, grandchildren too, but thank **** they’ve gone.

I live in fear of one or both 😳 of them wanting to come home.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

SaxonRider. Yes, we had similar a few months ago. He’d obviously been putting ideas together “so Granny is your Mammy, and Granny Mc is Mammy’s Mammy… so you don’t live with your Mammy or Daddy any more…” That’s when his tears came followed. He’s a sensitive wee soul.

lowey

My eldest daughter has gone back for her 2nd year at uni. For some reason I’m missing her more that when she first went. I still have my 17 year old daughter, who I moved into her big sisters room.

I’ll be in bits when they are both gone. Need to get a grip.

taxi25
    Free Member

Mine are 24 and 19, the day they leave home its…..

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Children leaving home’ is closed to new replies.