Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Children’s Social Networking Websites
  • Jase
    Free Member

Does anyone know of any social websites aimed at youngsters that are moderated?

My daughter has been using a site she found predominantly for dressing up different characters (think its some kind of fashion site) but there is also a part of the site where you design your own home page, a blog and the function to communicate with other members. There isn’t any moderation and a lot of the other members appear older >16. As such some of the content isn’t suitable for her age (8).

Does anyone know of any similar UK based sites that are moderated that I can get her to use instead?

Ta.

martinhutch

You could try Moshi Monsters, but I think there is still the need for fairly close supervision of social networking, even when aimed at younger users.

While Moshi Monsters is filtered to some degree, my two (also eight) have been bombarded with friend requests from people they don’t know, and messaging between ‘friends’ is fairly unregulated. It is also a pit of merchandising hell from which you may not emerge unscathed.

Mine are told to only accept friends they know in real life, and I think it can be made to work fine this way.

binners

I’d suggest Moshi Monsters too. Its moderated. I’d still keep your eye on them, obviously. Same rules apply as Martin – only accept friends they know in real life

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My missus’ sister/BIL/Kids have a facebook profile in the dogs name, works well for them, kids get to use facebookas much as they like, parents can see evertything they get upto on it.

Jase
    Free Member

I’ll aks her about Moshi Monsters, I’d heard of them but didn’t realise it was a website.

I quite like the Facebook idea, we have the dog already!

sc-xc

Club Penguin?

wwaswas

4th Moshi Monsters – as long as your kid knows that she can only ‘freind’ people she knows in real life (and that you know use Moshi Monsters) it’s fairly safe.

We’ve stuck with the free one but there’s been a bit of pressure to upgrade to the pay one as some of her freinds have that.

samuri
    Free Member

STW is pretty good.

wwaswas

STW is pretty good.

he said it’s for a girl, though?

drofluf
    Free Member

Another vote for Moshi Monsters, but it can get expensive!

My son’s also a fan of Club Penguin

bazzer
    Free Member

I am honestly not trolling here !!!

What positives is an 8 year old going to get from a social networking site ?

Would it not be better to just do something else with her ?

binners

Bazzer – I think its an advantage to get them using sites like this safely and responsibly. Because they’re curious about it anyway. Its part and parcel of modern life. For example: my 7 year old submits some of her homework online and they have a class Blog. They’re going to be running bloody rings round us old duffers soon

This is quite interesting

Social networking

They’re recommending SuperClubsPlus for primary age children

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Children’s Social Networking Websites’ is closed to new replies.