Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Child Trust Funds – what are you doing with yours (well your kids')?
  • nemesis
    Free Member

Just wondering what people are doing with the CTFs they have for their kids born about 5-10 years ago – I reckon I’ll transfer Nem Jnr’s to a junior ISA but is there anything to consider when switching it? Will it could towards the allowance for this year or next years?

nemesis
    Free Member

Classifieds? Muppet. Mod, can you move this?

bearnecessities

Reported, muppet 🙂

chipps

Done 😉

mudshark
    Free Member

I’ll switch mine, shouldn’t count as part of annual ISA amounts should it?

nemesis
    Free Member

Thanks 🙂

I don’t think it’s part of the allowance since it’s already ‘locked in’. Can we switch now or is it in 2015/16?

nemesis
    Free Member

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/feb/23/countdown-move-childs-savings-into-isa

April 6th apparently which I think is the next tax year.

jam-bo

Aberdeen World Equity. Up about 30% in value since we took it out 3 years ago.

Although my financial advisor (grandma) is telling me it might be time to shift it.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Both my kids have these.

Am I missing something. If my kids are nowehere near the age to cash them in is there any reason to do ‘anything’ with them?

Its worked out quite well for us so far. Both on target to have their university costs for 3 yrs covered each or have a hell of a year travelling and snorting coke

Question is genuine, why do they need messed with?

mudshark
    Free Member

Should get a better return with the right unit trust ISAs IMO.

nemesis
    Free Member

CTFs are generally paying crap rates (or have high fees) because there’s no competion in the market now they’ve been discontinued. As such you’re better off moving the money to a Junior ISA of some form.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Hmmm, read the link. So is it transferring the money from an interest based return to an investment in shares type thingy?

If so I think I will leave it as savings rather than investment

nemesis
    Free Member

No, ISAs can be cash (savings with an interest rate) or shares so you can choose.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Ah right. Take it there is still a benefit to moving for the cash ISA version then.

The sneaky buggers for not telling

miketually
    Free Member

We stuck our kids’ vouchers into tracker CTFs and have just left them there haemorrhaging money, while not paying in anything extra. I assume we should move them?

nemesis
    Free Member

Yes – have a look at my link it explains it but in short there’s no point leaving money in a CTF – transfer it to a cash ISA with a competitive rate.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Where do I send the payment for financial advice? Thank you for the info.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I thought you couldn’t move the money out of CTF’s into kiddie ISA’s? I distinctly remember behind pissed off about this when I read about it on MSE about 18months ago.

nemesis
    Free Member

That’s what’s changing on 6th April. You’re right that you couldn’t previously.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Aha! Glad I opened the thread then 🙂

nemesis
    Free Member

Just a follow up, the CTF to ISA thing is expected in the next financial year but apparently hasn’t been formalised yet. As such you can’t transfer money out of a CTF to an ISA now or next year (eg from 6th April) until it’s announced.

http://www.independent.co.uk/money/spend-save/parents-will-be-able-to-switch-dormant-child-trust-funds-to-more-competitive-junior-isa-10140203.html

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Child Trust Funds – what are you doing with yours (well your kids')?’ is closed to new replies.