Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Child trailers
  • mmel
    Free Member

Afternoon all

Looking at getting a trailer for my boy to ride round in. He’s just approaching one and I think he’d quite like to follow me around the forest this summer.

What’s the STW consensus on using a kiddy trailer, and which ones would you recommend? How comfortable are they for off road trails etc. and are they a better option over the child seat? Also – how safe do you feel on the road with them?

Thanks

ts4or5
    Free Member

Hijack!

I’d really like to know about child trailers too.

What do people recommend? How much should I look to spend?

lucabazooka
    Free Member

Giant Peapod.

Look no further.

Cost, construction, weight, specification.

29erKeith
    Free Member

Croozer for 1 here, gets used all the time for the commute\nursery run behind the bike, runs and walks in the forest. I got it used off of here. I use it on quite country roads, I’ll use cycle routes and pavements as soon as we get anywhere near town and roads are anything but empty.

Off road we’ll do a bit on gravel tracks round the forest in the summer months but speed drops as it can get bumpy back there. unless you want to really splash out on one with suspension.

binners

There was a thread a few weeks back chaps, comparing the relative merits of Burleys and Croozers

Wharfedale
    Free Member

We’ve got one of these http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_categoryId_165476_productId_724057_langId_-1?cm_mmc=Google+PLA-_-Accessories-_-Child+Bike+Seats+&+Trailers-_-155401&istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istItemId=lwqtlq&istBid=tzxq&_$$ja=cgid:8475776884|tsid:35522|cid:166296844|lid:47419179008|nw:g|crid:33910835764|rnd:3888971898143489898|dvc:c|adp:1o1|bku:1&gclid=CNGh1KDivL0CFeXLtAodzTgAQQ

Works well and folds almost flat. You can also buy an extra kit that turns it into a stroller for £13.

jonathan
    Free Member

The Chariot vs Burley thread binners links to has got loads of info, but to answer your specifics…

Chariot (other great trailers are available – see other thread!). They’re not things you tend to regret spending money on as they let you ride when otherwise you wouldn’t be able to.

They are great off road – ours regularly slept getting pulled around forest track and bridleways etc. Bigger wheels helps – and fat tyres and suspension even more so.

Much better than a child seat – they don’t really affect the handling of your bike at all, so you can easily forget they are there (until you go up hill!). Child can also be protected from rain/sun/dirt/snow and have toys and books to play with, drinks, food etc

Used ours on the road quite a bit and felt very safe – most drivers give you more room than they would a bike.

mmel
    Free Member

Thanks for the info, there seems to be a huge price difference. £85 – £600ish! Do you get what you pay for, or is it the law of diminishing returns.

I quite like the idea of suspension but looking at that other thread postierich, the fella with the Burley, is hitting CyB without any!

Awesome possibilities and after seeing those pictures I’m even more keen on one.

kimbers

got the croozer kid for 2 – highly recommend super sturdy but quite wide got ours mint off ebay so very happy

that Giant peapod looks good too

jonathan
    Free Member

Thanks for the info, there seems to be a huge price difference. £85 – £600ish! Do you get what you pay for, or is it the law of diminishing returns.

Generally you get what you pay for, but also generally once you get above a certain amount you can be pretty sure it’s last without breaking. Nearly all trailers will do the job, but our Chariot has done 8 years with two kids in horrible conditions and lots of off road and nothing has ever broken on it.

I quite like the idea of suspension but looking at that other thread postierich, the fella with the Burley, is hitting CyB without any!

Yep – a lot of trailers will do that stuff fine. It’s just a sliding scale of child comfort 😉

Awesome possibilities and after seeing those pictures I’m even more keen on one.

It’s the once piece of expensive kit that I have absolutely no regrets over. Ours was over 700 quid (with a big range of extra bits) and I’d happily do it again… not that we’re having any more… no… definitely not.

benp1

Bought a cheap one from tesco website to see if I’d use it

Answer – loads! Most weekends with two kids in it riding round a park with the dog, it’s been excellent. Spending more would have got me a better trailer but not sure it would gave made me use it more, they get expensive quick!

TooTall
    Free Member

You’ll be amazed at how much they get thrown about in the back of a trailer – it isn’t a comfy ride at all. So remember that the little one needs to be able to do more than just hold their head up – they need to have pretty well developed neck and head control for more than tarmac. Your call, but look at their development on that front.

hatter

Chariot CX1 here!

Suspension is a very good idea if you’ve got a little one they get shaken around much less, we used the head support until he was about 15 months, he’s almost 2 now and much more robust so doesn’t need it anymore.

Chariot (Now Thule Chariot), Burley & Croozer are all good, they also hold their value better than the cheap ones so you’ll get a fair chunk of your money back when you’ve finished with it.

They’re great fun and greatly increase your opportunities for riding as you can get out and give mum a break, well worth it.

Garry_Lager

Had a croozer double which was very good – nursery run mainly. It was great off road on the forest tracks – but note that they’re hefty items. If you need to drive somewhere it might be awkward to transport it.

There’s not much trailer-friendly riding on my doorstep, so while taking it on holiday was OK (load it up on the roof rack along with everything else), I found I didn’t use it all that much week to week on UK trails.

They’re v useful when your kids are too small to cycle for any distance – they can ride their balance bike for a mile or so, and when they get tired you can put the bike in the back of the trailer and the kid can have a rest.

benp1

Actually, this is a very good point, they do get bounced around quite a bit

When my son falls asleep (which is most times), his head often drops forward, despite the trailer being slightly lent back. I stop and move it to the side so it rests on the side panel

It also had a bar under their bum that with bouncing means they might touch it every now and then. A had a piece of foam so I cut it to fit and put that in. I also folded a towel so that if they were in there without shoes they weren’t coming into contact with the bottom panel (i.e. would keep there feet warmer)

Still, for the money, and the amount of use its had, its been incredible value. I do like the idea of one with a proper base, independent seats and real suspension, just didn’t want to spend silly money on it!

natrix
    Free Member

I’ve got a double trailer which I use for the nursery/school run, but when we’re out in the woods for fun my wife and I use a rear mounted seat each. The children get more out of being in the seat, they can see more, can talk to us and each other and can talk & wave to passers-by.

Once he was four I got my lad a trailer bike which he loves (we did a bit of offroading this morning before school)and his three year old sister likes using it as well.

So basically, the trailer has got its place, but there are other options out there which might be better suited to your needs, depending on what you intend to do. Rather than splash out on an expensive trailer I got the Halfords double one (which has stood up to off road abuse surprisingly well) and which left money over for a pair of seats and a 2nd hand trailer bike (not to mention the balance bike, Islabike etc)

Wooliferkins
    Free Member

Croozer is much better value for money than Chariot as the stroller & buggy kits come in the price where Chariot they are extras. This years Croozers have suspension as standard. Depending on the development of your lad the Weehoo moght be worth a look

mugsys_m8

We have had a Cougar Chariot (single) and it has served our two excellently for camping tours, normal trips on and off road and use as a offroad buggy. They are just so well engineered. We might be looking to get rid of ours as the smallest monster has outgrown it now. Only problem is it is near Grenoble (interesting point: you can take it on airlines as a pushchair….. If interested e-mail me at danj DOT heywood AT gmail DOT com.

bajsyckel

Just posting on here so I can find the thread later.

After looking on previous threads we are on the lookout for a 2nd hand croozer or chariot cx (or similar). If you weren’t in the alps I’d give you an email mugsy.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

We got a Croozer when our wee man was 1 and it’s one of the best things we bought. My Mrs was really into riding but we’d not ridden together since she was pregnant, so it allowed us to have fun as a family – or let me take him out and do something fun with him too.

We set it up in the house for a week and he climbed in and out and got used to being in it. Now he yells when he sees it and jumps straight in before I’ve loaded it into the van!

The 3 in 1 works for an all terrain buggy too and has 2 hitches so one on each bike. I drilled one out so I can run it on my bolt through axle (it fits my Nukeproof Mega!). I just remember to lock out my bike so I ride more sympathetically to him!

Long boring video done for family, but gives you an idea and you can see he really enjoyed it!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSBGxXi38cw

Handles light off road, he’ll even sleep on fire roads and stuff.

We love loading the ‘boot’ with a picnic and spare clothes and heading off for a picnic. I did 17 miles round Ladybower the other day with him. Good fun. The two hitches mean my Mrs will then take him back to the van and I hammer off for a few quick extra downhills.

aa
    Free Member

We’ve also got a croozer which has been worth every penny. The fact that its a ‘soft shell’ makes it more comfy than a burly. The stroller wheel/handle combo has been used far more than i ever thought it would. Brilliant for holidays as it folds up small and is versatile.

It will be for sale later this year as we’re going to buy a tag along once the wife has mastered the art of riding with a child seat on her bike.

ten0tigers
    Free Member

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, does anyone have the new croozer kid for 2 plus? It has a suspension system and some other upgrades. Pretty expensive having looked around. I can import a Burley D’lite for about £550 with a stroller adaptor and the kid for 2 plus is £600. However the croozer is more spacious inside.

womp
    Free Member

I’m also looking at the new croozer suspension model

I was under the impression that Chariot owned Croozer (their budget arm) not sure if that was correct or what the situation is now with Thule buying Chariot ?

Either way I’m looking at the usual Chariot , Burley or new Croozer, looking like it’s going to be cheaper to import one from Europe

Yak

We were kindly lent a Burley. It was brilliant. Could get 2 kids in, a picnic and even sling kiddie bikes/ balance bikes on the back for when they get tired and need to hop in the trailer. Folded up well and was all easily serviceable. V stable too – never flipped it, despite it going a little airborne every now and then…ahem 🙂

If I was buying, I would seek out a second hand Burley on the basis of our experience. Some forestry bike hire places have an annual clear-out sale of their hire trailers.

sssimon
    Free Member

just bought a Croozer as our 2 year old never really got on with the Hamax seat we had in the way her big brother did and now he’s 4 and off stabilizers it’s a great way to get out with both of them, loads of room in the 1 kid version and can pack all their junk for an afternoon out behind the seat.

Only thing I’ve done is add a bit of foam around the frame and under her bum for a bit of comfort and she’s now got the idea so she has a wee pillow she puts in herself when we are ready to go

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Child trailers’ is closed to new replies.