Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Child trailer advice
  • DiscJockey
    Free Member

Does anyone know what the widest child trailer is on the market ?

My current trailer (cost about £140) is a bit narrow for my 2 lads (aged 3 and 5). It was OK 2 years ago, but they’ve now outgrown it.

I’ve done a bit of research and the widest spec I’ve come across is a Burley D’Lite at 64cm internal width. My current trailer has a 50cm internal width. Problem is, the D’Lite is about £600 !

TiRed

AT five, your son is ready for the back of a kiddyback tandem. £600 should find one. I think your trailer days are over.

bruk

Just been through the kid trailer search.

Posted a wee review of mine here Qeridoo kids trailer review

It is pretty wide, website states it is 70cm shoulder width.

Qeridoo technical specs

Loving it so far. Wish I could mount the flag on the right for UK roads and reckon with a bit of diy should be sortable.

tomcrow99

I’ve a Chariot Cougar 2 (for sale if interested) I had my 3 and 5 year olds in it a while back and it was very tight, wouldn’t have wanted to go any great distance with them like that. Weighed a bloody ton too!!

antigee

mate of mine did what I wouldn’t consider and it worked very well – attach the trailer for the younger one on to a tag a long for the older one
    though it was rural stuff – City commuting might be a turning problem

great pic in Bruks link – kids having a good time with bikes 😀

nickjb
    Free Member

Maybe this set up a friend uses:

Similar ages.

ransos
    Free Member

I’ve done a bit of research and the widest spec I’ve come across is a Burley D’Lite at 64cm internal width. My current trailer has a 50cm internal width. Problem is, the D’Lite is about £600 !

We have one and it’s brilliant – adjustable suspension and easy to change the seatbelts between 1 and 2 seater. Despite having more internal room than other trailers, the wheel base is narrower than the Croozer double, so it’s more manageable than you might think.

Having said all of that, I doubt you’d get much more than another year out of it before the lads have outgrown it again, so I echo the suggestions for child tandems.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies everyone – most helpful.

RE: tandem/wee-ride etc.. I’ll just add – both boys do have their own bikes. The 5 year old whizzes around without stabilisers. The 3 year old can ride his bike with stabilisers and also whizzes around on his balance bike. I’ve been riding them to school/nursery all this year (weather’s been good !) – the eldest rides on his bike, and I use a Trailgaitor to tow the youngest along – and when we’re not running late (i.e. very rarely) I unhook him so he can pedal a bit. So when the weather is nice, we’ll carry on like that – it works fine. But later on this year when it’s freezing cold, dark, windy and raining, I don’t want the boys riding – I want them snug, warm and safe inside a trailer.

Since posting this, I also came across the Croozer Kid for 2 which claims to have a 70cm internal width. That Qeridoo Sportrex 2 looks very similar – both are German after all. Thanks for pointing that out Bruk, and for the great review. I’m quite happy buying from Germany, as long as the postage isn’t too much. There are UK stockists of the Croozer, but it’s £100 more than the Qeridoo (could just be retailer mark-up). The D’Lite would be nice, but the rate my kids are growing, I might only get one more year from a trailer, so need to consider cost – and I’m skint as well !

ransos
    Free Member

Since posting this, I also came across the Croozer Kid for 2 which claims to have a 70cm internal width.

The croozer is 11cm wider than the Burley. It’s unlikely to fit through the pinch gates you get on park entrances and some cycle paths (my Burley is a snug fit!), so think carefully about where you’ll be riding.

gazc
    Free Member

we have a croozer kid for 2 and its really wide, much wider than my friends belleli one. wont go through some gates on local cycle paths but there are horse hurdles and some gates are really low so we just lift over those and it maybe adds 2 mins onto our journey. would be a bit of a handful with one person. however because of the width its really stable, following my mate’s belleli and watching it bounce/wobble around at speed was pretty hairy! the boot is massive if you want to factor in shopping/food/gear holding space too

overall we’re really happy with it!

ctk
    Free Member

Theres lots of used Burley trailers about but if I were you I’d be thinking about some sort of cargo bike? The one with a big bucket on the front can carry loads of kids in!

tomlevell

Mudguards and lights for the eldest and use the existing trailer for the youngest + school bags and emergency change of clothes?

Or a tandem + trailer.

Or a Surly Big Dummy or similar with both riding on the rack.

mrchrispy

Where you based discjockey?

I’ve a double croozer you could check out and have very cheep, it’s just sat in my caller doing nothing.
    I r south manchester

bruk

Re the Qeridoo it’s cost including postage and an additional mount to go on my other bike was £327.

Croozer do 2 models and the base one is still £100 more but with no suspension. Qeridoo also stock a similar one that is a bit narrower but shoulder width shrinks to 62cm

Too late for me re mrchrispy’s one but I would have bought 2nd hand had I been able to find any locally that weren’t too trashed and expensive. Shame as I am relatively local. Don’t tell me how much it would have gone for as it might upset the Scotsman in me 😉

hunta

How off-road can you get with these trailers?

mrchrispy

Shame…I loved taking the kids to school in it.

Was thinking about converting it into a middle class wood foraging trailer due to its tank like qualities but never got round to it, rather it went to a good home now.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

MrChrispy – that would be great if I could do that, and I’d certainly consider buying 2nd hand. I’m in Sale Moor, other side of the river from Chorlton, so that’s a bit of luck !

Please can you contact me via my forum profile – it links to an email address.

Thanks for the replies everyone else – all valid options which would certainly work. I’m not wanting to shelter the kids too much, and they need to get used to a bit of bad weather, and riding with lights. My eldest will be over the moon if I install the new Lupine on his bike !

But another aspect I’ve not mentioned (one that will be so familiar with you all) is the early morning ‘before-school’ tantrums. I’ve had some mornings where they both refuse to go on their bikes. I always get there in the end, but it can end up making me late for work. I do own a car, so know the convenience of shoving a whinging child in a seat and doing the belt up. Well, it’s possible to do the same with a trailer ! So am I thinking convenience here…at the end of the day, I need to get to work on time.

benp1

I have a double trailer, but I don’t like riding on the road with it so haven’t unless I’m in the countryside (I live in North London). It was only a cheap one but I do love using it.

I’m hopefully picking up an xtracycle’d hybrid bike this weekend. Part of a longer term plan to take the kids to nursery or use it for odd jobs. Not sure how I’ll get on with it but the trailer is a bit too much faff (need to get it out the garage and make it up etc), plus I can’t lock it up as easily if I’m going somewhere and need to leave it outside

Will see how I get on, will be my third bike (currently have flat bar road bike and a MTB). Storage problem’s coming as I also have a motorbike and man-cave workshop in my garage!

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Hunta – that depends on how much you want to shake your kids around !

My current trailer, despite being cheap is very robust.

I’ve done the red at Gisburn/Llandegla with the kids in the back – just need to go slower on really bumpy stuff, and let them get out and walk for drops etc. Make sure they’re wearing crash helmets as they can bash their heads together ! But for green runs, tow-paths etc. any trailer will handle it no problem.

I’ve also ridden through sand/sea at the beach and deep mud. If you bike has good traction, you can take trailers anywhere. They have low centre of gravity, so almost impossible to tip over.

mrchrispy

I’m just down the road in St Retford….. West Chorlton 🙂
    Email on the way

Wooliferkins
    Free Member
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Child trailer advice’ is closed to new replies.